Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

I anticipate that I can get started in a week or so. I've promised to make a baby afghan for a shower at work, and it must be ready by Tuesday. I only found out about it Wednesday and started last Friday!!

Lyn, I'm thinking I may do a different join for squares as well. I agree about not liking the gaps so much based on the pictures. I'll try a trial 9 square and see where I'll go from there I guess.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry Not going to be getting it untill between Jan 17th and Jan 29th. :eek

I guess this is a good thing as I have so many going that if I start now my DH might throw out my harn:no NO.. He would not do that. Just look at me like I was a few rows short of an afghan!!!!!!!

I love this afghan and would love to join in. Unfortunately, I don't have the book or the funds to buy it. So best wishes to all who do make it. I will watch from afar and envy and look forward to everyones pictures as they complete this beautiful afghan.

:woo :woo :woo:jumpyay:cheer I just finished my first block!!!:clap I even joined as I went! Boy I thought it was going to be hard, and reading inst were, so I looked at the picture and figured it out and now I have 1 down and 27 left to go!:rofl But, I do have to say I like the join as you go. Except all the tiny threads to be worked in. I worked over what I could, but there re many...

Wendy, The book is worth waiting for, and never fear, you will catch up with me real fast!!

peni

Oh.. I can't wait to get my book.. I kinda like the blue of it on the cover that I have seen. My brother has been wanting an afghan that has blue in it. Maybe I will just use the blues and give it to him.

Nice, Krystal =) Thats a great way to get the book and not have to pay for it right now!

Peni, thats awesome =) I have 4 of the blocks finished and they have the edging on them. I have 4 other center squares waiting for everything. I don't get a TON of time to work on it so I feel like I am moving so slow, but I am keeping focused =)

rosebud: could you maybe do what Krystal is doing and get the book from the library instead? That way you could make the afghan and not have to come up with the cash for the book right now.

I didn't make the squares how they said but I am joining according to the directions. I thought it was also confusing at first but that has to do with the way I am making the grannies too, I have to adapt the directions to how I'm making them. Once I got a few done I started liking the way they look, but I think I *may* still go back later and stitch some of the 9 patches together better.

Like I said before I am working the ends and stuff in as I go. If I know anything about myself, I know that if I wait until the very end, I'll put it off and put it off until it either never gets done, or my household would suffer cuz I would complain about it the whole time I'm doing it =)

Yesterday was kind of a bad day for Tristan, today is much better so I anticipate having more time to work on this. I figure I will get the other 4 squares done and then start on the center of the afghan and work on that until I need more grannies. Or work on grannies here and there to change things up a little =)

How much longer till you get your yarn, Lady?

I am working on it but I think that I am moving at a pretty slow pace, or..it feels like it anway. I don't want to get too burned out on it so not driving myself crazy to get it done super fast.

Good morning everyone...... it is cold and stormy here and they say we might even get snow! Here in Arizona desert....I am at about 3500 ft, considered high desert. We get maybe one snow fall a year...... gone when the sun comes out. Anyway, a good day to crochet on my squares....

Metz way to go!! it is exciting to get a block done isn't it? lol Oh how little it takes to thrill me these days!!! Yikes that is scary!

Wendy and all who are waiting for your book........I hate waiting it is too hard, but just think when it arrives of the thrill of jumping up and down and yelling yippie and looking through the book, grabbing the yarn and hookto start and you are so excited you can't make sence of the directions!!! That is what happened to me. It took a couple of days before I could figure it out. Thank goodness it is Friday and next week will be here befere you know it! Maybe the books will start ariving...........

I am off to get a few things done so I can work on my blocks today....

Peni

LOL Peni that's too funny. Walmart is EVIL

I worked on some blocks today, but then I had a lot of things I needed to take care of, Fridays are rough around here =)

I will take a pic of the progress tomorrow and post what I have so far!

It has been awfully quiet in here today =) I didn't want to be a pest and post my mindless drivel without someone to bounce back and forth with LOL

Hi Everyone, Just had lunch. We went out this morning and bought a new bed. That was exciting. Now the girls are cleaning their rooms and Im doing more of my casablanca while waiting for my book to arrive.

Im glad you are all starting yours. I cant wait to see some pics. I still dont have yarn yet. hmm Maybe I will go to the shop on monday and see what I can find. I will go to Big W or K Mart (they are like your Walmart shops) and see what they have.

I have found a new way to put the squares together. JulieKay showed me how to single crochet them together and its so easy.

How much longer till you get your yarn, Lady?

I am working on it but I think that I am moving at a pretty slow pace, or..it feels like it anway. I don't want to get too burned out on it so not driving myself crazy to get it done super fast.

Sometime next week is what the online store is telling me. It has been shipped from Wisconsin. Funny thing is, I own a auto repair shop and ordered tires for a customer. The tires are coming from Arizona and I will have them Monday, the order was placed Wednesday morning. Tires are shipped ground because of weight. And here I can't get yarn that I ordered last week that fast. :confused

Wendy. Single crocheting squares together is my favorate way to put squares together. I find it easier and faster then whip stitching or even slip stitching them together. I also love the look of squares single crochet together.

I like the way the squares come together with that stitch as well. I started using it with trial and error years ago when I made a granny hex blanket for my Mom. Works up easy and let's the pieces lay flatter.

I got my book and started matching up yarns. I am not sure I like having the cornflower in the place of the medium blue. :( THat would give me more yellow than I want. That book has an awesome knitting pattern in there that I love, I just don't know if I could do it! (It's woven stripes of color on a dark navy background). There are a bunch of other blankets I like in there, too. Definitely a BUYER! :D

Whoo Hoo! I am so happy! I sold a purse and took the money and bought the book on Amazon.com last night. They say delivery date is the 16th. Now to start going through my stash for the yarn. My living room is hunter greens and my bedroom are the blues, so i could go either way. I got the book for only $3.00 from an indivudal seller, and it's new, too! I'll get a late start like some of the rest of you, but better late than never, I always say! LOL I love love love this afghan, so I can't wait to get the book. No library in my town. Yeah, it's that small and I don't drive, so trying to find someone to take me is next to none. Everybody is busy doing something. Good suggestion though. Thanks. :)

Corrections for the pattern: (Thanks mudpie)

CORRECTION AT CORNER BORDER:

Row 1: (rs) With rs facing, join B in sc 2 sts before any Wedge tip with sl st, ch 1; sc in same sc; ch 1, sk next 2sc, *(dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)7 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc, (point) (ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)6 times, ** sk next 4 sc, tr in next sc (joining), sk next 4 sc; (dc in next 3 sc, ch 1, sk next sc)6 times, (cl, ch 2, cl) in next sc (point),

(Ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 3 sc)7 times, ch 1, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next 2 sc.

Row 10: do not turn.

I can't join in this CAL, but I found the pattern book on my shelves - thanks so much for posting the corrections!! I put them right in the book.:hug

Archived