Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Diane you can send some snow down here if you like. This weather is just too hot to go outside.

He He yes peni I will try and catch up now. Yes I think the colors will look good. Not bad considering I did say I was going to do blue.

I have started the squares and was wondering for those that have also started, when you do granny block 4 are you going to do what it says and cut out the darker part of the varigated so the square overall will look lighter.

I tried this and its a very annoying thing to do.

I have started the squares and was wondering for those that have also started, when you do granny block 4 are you going to do what it says and cut out the darker part of the varigated so the square overall will look lighter.

I tried this and its a very annoying thing to do.

Whose brilliant idea was this? :eek

you would end up with a mess of knots and half the yarn sitting in a dust bin!!!

Darski thats what the pattern says to do. my varigated as you can see from previous pics that it has a very dark brown in it. Put this together in the granny block with the white square and the aqua square it doesnt look right. But I guess I will have to stay with that as Im not going to sit there and cut out the dark brown.

What about going with cream instead of white then?

that Vari is a beautiful yarn, it should look good when you get going on it. Well, you will have to decide but you could end up with 6 inch strands at this rate.

(that is what they issue with the paper mache` hooks in The Home :wlol )

It would drive me NUTS cutting out all the dark color on the varigated!!:rant:irk:grumpy

My vote is either soften the contrast color next to it if it needs that, or ignore the cutting out part!:yes

Hi Gleda, I started tonight. I have done 2 blocks and im the 3rd. The joining method isnt hard and it does give a good effect. I have never done it this way before though.

I went with the light brown.

Aqua is MC

Light Brown is color A

Dark Brown is color B

White is color c

Varigated Blue/Brown is color D

I hope putting the colors in these spots will look ok. Too late now I have started already.

I hope putting the colors in these spots will look ok. Too late now I have started already.

It will look great, I'm sure of it - each of us brings our own individuality to the project - it's going to be fun seeing the photos as we make progress on the afghans (which I haven't even gotten the yarn for yet... after things settle a bit:( )

Judi you will get there. Just think we will still be here plugging away.

Gleda I started the star as well and Im stuck on row 4. It says

to ch 1, (cl,ch2,cl) in next ch2 space. CL being 3DCs

But when you have finished the last row your 3 dcs away from that ch2 space. Am I supposed to slip stitch to there.

Ok I have done 3 granny blocks so far.

The one with the aqua in the middle is the one where you are supposed to cut the dark parts of the varigated yarn so its not so dark. I guess mine will be dark, because Im not cutting. No wonder you need 14 oz of varigated.

MVC-035F.jpg

Oh Wendy, it's beautiful. And the colors are really looking nice together. I am glad you didn't clip the dark parts out. I think it looks great that way. I guess those small squares are working up quickly.

I just got an Email from Joanne's, I will have all the yarn for my Battle of the Blocks Afghan and my Heaven and Earth Afghan on Wednesday the 17th. I am still waiting on the Yarn for this Afghan. I don't think I will ever order from Herrschner's again with their lack of interest in letting the customer know and snail paced shipping. The great part, I have a tracking number for part of the order, and UPS can't track it. Even Herrschner's doesn't know where the first part of the order is. Very upsetting, Okay I am ranting again.

They said if I don't have it by Wednesday to call them back. It will 8 days since they say the order shipped and I should have it by then.

Ya, I do have two other afghans that I ordered yarn for, I fell in love with them, and then found the yarn on sale and couldn't resist. This Blue Star afghan is going to be made for my old assistance ( Bryant). He went off to university last September. He is studying to be an Aurenautical engineer at Emery Riddle down in Florida. Over Christmas holiday, he was here almost every day, and loved this afghan. He will be back for spring break. He is one of the few people that has worked for us, and at a young age, that we could totally trust. He is just like a son to me.

Here I go again, long winded today aren't I.

Wow so much activity just since I went to bed!

Wendy, I did not cut out variegated either...not going to do it! When I read it I thought it was ridiculous I mean what a waste of yarn. I think yours looks great as it is, no need to worry about the cutting.

Lady, I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with the yarn order. I hate having to wait for stuff like that and I would be annoyed too! Also how sweet that you plan on making this afghan for your assistant, I bet he'll really treasure it =)

As for me, I'm having my morning coffee and need to do my daily cleaning then I can put the edging on 4 squares and start to work on the center! I'm excited cuz already I am sick of doing the squares and I have only completed 8 of the large ones of 28 squares hehe

20 more of those squares to go! :( Problem with me is I want it to go much faster than it has been but I only get a couple hours a day that I can REALLY work on this. Tristan gets jealous of my yarn so mostly I do it while he is napping, the rest of the time I'm playing with him LOL

Judi - are you waiting for your yarn on order or you are just waiting voluntarily? :laughroll And did you happen to say what colors you were using, I forget and can't keep track of everyone's color schemes =)

Diane, wow still no book! Any idea when it is SUPPOSED to come? When did you order it?

Judi - are you waiting for your yarn on order or you are just waiting voluntarily? :laughroll And did you happen to say what colors you were using, I forget and can't keep track of everyone's color schemes =)

I'm waiting to get more pieces put together on my cat quilt CAL...which has been sitting around for years! I'm getting lots of encouragement on it from the forum. Personal stuff going on here, too, MIL in grave condition after a LONG illness...issues there and with family...Then I'll be able to concentrate and move ahead. I'm not a blue fan (except some off shades of the color) so I'm toying with the red/maroon/burgundy family. I'm drawn to rich, fiery colors:D or greens...I have to go pet the yarn...and if I see something that works with the off white or white I seem to have accumulated like dust bunnies, all the better:yes

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL, I really hope things get better there. :hug

As for the yarn, yes burgandy! I think that would look amazing. Well whenever you get a chance go pet the yarn and decide what colors you're using let us see! =)

Archived