Blue Star Afghan CAL

MiztrezzLyn

Well, it's OFFICIAL! I am in....

I started in the center, as that's the yarn I have. I did it in white, because my wall and curtains are bright white - the soft white looked sort of dull in there. I am on Round 6 of the center star already. I'm making sure to go slowly, as the faster I go, the looser I get and I don't want this afghan stretching too much. NOT on a king size! LOL!

DH was going near LYS, so I asked him to pick me up a country blue. That way I can compare!

Can't wait!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyn, I plan on making the afghan as called for as the "center" of my afghan. Then I'm going to put 8-pointed stars around as a border. I think.. I'll have to figure it out size-wise when I'm done. They might just go on the corners and other star-shapes in between... I'm sort of figuring it out as I go along. ;)

I'm now on Round 6....

:D

OK, I think I found another correction for the book, or am I being dumb?!?!?

I hope not, because I frogged this row and redid it the way I think it should be done...

I can't tell what it SHOULD be based on the picture - what did you do?

On ROW 8 of the center star, it starts with CH 4 - but at the end it says to sl st to the 3rd ch of beg ch-3. :think should I ch3 or 4? Now, in the middle you cluster down the side of the point, ch1, then dc between the next two cl. Then it has you cluster up the next side - with no ch1 to that cluster. So now it's lopsided... should there be a ch1 on EACH side of this dc? If I only do a ch3 in the beginning, it doesn't seem like there should be a ch1 on EITHER side. If I do a ch4 at the beginning, it seems there should be a ch1 on BOTH sides of it... :think Help me - I'm obsessive!

Krystal - Row 8 should start with a ch4...the instructions for the end *I* think is wrong it should be sl st to the 3rd ch of beg ch-4. That ch-4 counts as a DC + ch1.

As for the middle (between points) you do cluster down to the middle, ch1, dc inbetween clusters, ch 1 and cluster back up to the point. I read the directions for that specific part and there *is* instruction to do that. It does say "dc in space between next 2 cls, ch 1; repeat from *

I am nearing the end of Round 3 on the Border. I found that on Round 2 of the border the directions were not quite right or I am reading it wrong but I had to fudge where that round actually STARTs to make everything line up as it should at the tips and the middle points, the way I fudged it also made it end as it should (as per directions).

If you come to that point and you can't figure it out (or what I'm talking about) lemme know I will *try* to explain what I did. I am not too comfortable with HOW I fudged it, I bet there would have been a better way but, it works so...whatever =)

Lyn, I see where it shows to ch1 AFTER the dc in between the 2 clusters, but my book does not have a ch1 BEFORE that dc. So, from the point it should be cluster down the side, (MISSING ch1) dc between clusters, ch1, cluster up the side... etc.

Well, I wanted this afghan to be tight, so I actually left out BOTH ch1 before and after that dc. It still laid flat. On round 9, I left them in. I'm nearly done with Round 9.

Did you look at the corrections? Because I remember there being official corrections for the corner of the border somewhere...

Oh, hmm I wonder what I did there, now I don't remember LOL

Those corrections I believe are for the actual SECTION called Corner Border in the book and doesn't pertain to the part I am at

I figured out an easier way to fix the problem with Round 1 on the "Border" section. It tells you to start with 2sc, do the other sc's around the whole afghan then at the end you sc in the same space as the 2 other sc you started with and to sl st to the first sc of the round. To make it have a set of 3 sc in a point.

But the next round the way the instructions work you want the "cl ch 2 cl" sets to be in the right stitches of those "3 sc" sets. And in the middle of the points (the dip?) you want to have the 3 dc's seperated by chain 1's to be even with the reverse point.

To fix it I had to fudge as I said, but you could easily avoid the trouble if you just start Round 1 of the border with 3 sc's instead of just 2. Then at the end of the round just sl st to the first sc you made and then follow round 2's instructions.

I hope I didn't confuse the heck out of everyone just now, I could not think of a good way to describe it. I can try to explain it a little more if you don't understand.

Morning everyone,

Krystal - Im glad you have started. Did you work out the rows ok. I am now on row 13 and I cant wait to start attaching the squares although they dont look as if they would fit in at the moment.

Diane - what yarn color did you end up getting.

Lyn - sounds like you are going like a train.

I went to spotlight yesterday. The girls complained "not again". I had to see if I could get more of that light brown and I did "whew". So now Im set.

The sets of "dc in next 3 sc, ch1, sk next sc" makes sets of 3 dc's seperated by ch 1. To do it the way the book suggests, it made all of my "sets of 3 dc" offset by 1 stitch, when compared to the points and reverse points of the star.

I figured out why and thats how I came up with how to avoid this.

Wendy when I was doing that round (joining the squares to the center) I freaked out and thought it was all wrong and they would not fit. I almost had a hissy! LOL

But it comes together and actually works out, so don't worry, they do actually fit, although it doesn't look like they will till you actually join them =)

Yippee, I got a partial order for my yarn from herrschner's today. I got pale dusty pink, Amethyst (light purple) and Bilberry Blue (blue/purple) the Garnet should be here by next tuesday, I will go and get white Sunday if I get the chance. Now that I have the yarn in hand, I am glad the light navy was out because, the navy wouldn't have worked. The Garnet will be much better color match, hopefully. Should make a very interesting looking blanket if nothing else.

YAY Tracey! Yarn is hand is a goooooood thing!

I like the country blue a LOT instead of the azure. In fact, I've already started round 11 on my star! I'll finish the light blue, then work on the squares. UGH! I just realized that I only have that little ball of cornmeal, and I need the cornmeal to do the squares.... Well, that is going to have to wait til I can get bcak to LYS later... I'll see if I can't make that wedge or the other squares whilst I'm waiting..... :hook

Drumroll please....I finally, finally have my colors for this afghan and I'm very pleased with the greens I got today. New and final colors are: RH's Frosty Green, Light Sage, Dark Sage, Watercolor (varigated) and Caron's Cream. :cheer:cheer

I really didn't plan on getting more yarn, but I got the most unexpected surprise in my paycheck today, so I decided to go for what I really wanted in greens and to satisfy my ever-increasing YAS addiction. :lol

With the good comes the bad. Shortly after I got my paycheck stub, I talked to my daughter. She works in one of those gas station/convenience stores, sometimes day shift, sometimes night shift. As fate would have it, she wasn't scheduled to work yesterday. Last night the store was robbed and the clerk on duty was shot and is in very critical condition. I cannot stop thinking of this poor clerk. Obviously it could very well have been my daughter fighting for her life miles away from me. My daughter is now in the process of looking for a better paying job where such situations will not occur.

Now, in a bit I'll get a bite to eat then plan on starting this gorgeous afghan. I appreciate any pattern corrections you all are posting because I could use all the help I can get. :hug I really want to post pictures and I'll make an effort to do so when I can.

:eek Oh My Goodness Gleda, is the person who got shot going to be alright. I cant believe how lucky your daughter is not to have been working that night.

She needs to buy a lottery ticket. Those jobs are a bit risky. We have a lot of crime like that here at the service stations(gas stations) as well, and I couldnt imagine doing a job like that. I dont blame her for looking for something else.

Im so glad you have your colors worked out and you can now start. :yay

Most of us are all doing different colors so it will be interesting to see them once we get more done.

I have finished the star and have joined one square. Your right Lyn it does work out. Its looking good so far. I need to make more granny block 1 and 2s so I can complete the centre bit.

I am really enjoying doing these patterns where you put the squares together.

Wendy. What colors with the green did you decide to do?? I don't think I saw a finished decision.

I still have not gotten my book. I know that amounts that we need for each yarn was posted on the first post, but I need the book with me when I go make my decision.

Morning everyone,

Krystal - Im glad you have started. Did you work out the rows ok. I am now on row 13 and I cant wait to start attaching the squares although they dont look as if they would fit in at the moment.

Diane - what yarn color did you end up getting.

Lyn - sounds like you are going like a train.

I went to spotlight yesterday. The girls complained "not again". I had to see if I could get more of that light brown and I did "whew". So now Im set.

Wendy. I did not get yarn for this pattern, although I did put the sage colors next to the frosty green and I really liked them with it.

I did however, get Red Heart Rodeo Red and white to make the Snowflake afghan CAL!!!!!!LOL

:lol Diane you were supposed to get yarn for the blue star not the snowflake.

Are you going to go with the greens.

Your book is taking forever isnt it. Where did you order it from.

Mine has turned into browns with Aqua. I originally wanted to do a blue one.

I have finished the star and have joined one square. Your right Lyn it does work out. Its looking good so far. I need to make more granny block 1 and 2s so I can complete the centre bit.

I am really enjoying doing these patterns where you put the squares together.

:think My goodness Wendy, You really are going gangbusters! You ladies must crochet fast!!!

I started mine over yesterday, I got my colors mixed.......I used the frosty instead of med sage, so I decided to just remake and go from there. I haven't tried the center yet. afraid if I do that I may never get back to the blocks!! LOL

peni

Yippee, I got a partial order for my yarn from herrschner's today. I got pale dusty pink, Amethyst (light purple) and Bilberry Blue (blue/purple) the Garnet should be here by next tuesday, I will go and get white Sunday if I get the chance. Now that I have the yarn in hand, I am glad the light navy was out because, the navy wouldn't have worked. The Garnet will be much better color match, hopefully. Should make a very interesting looking blanket if nothing else.

Tracy, those sound really pretty, can't wait to see what they look like. I am glad to hear your yarn finally arrived.......well some of it anyway,:)

peni

I started on one of the blocks, and you have to attach as you go. My color C was going to be white and MC was going to be pale pink. I didn't have any white at home that would work with the other yarn weight, and the stores were closed. So either I changed "c" to pink and white to MC, or I would have had to wait till Sunday before I could get anything done. I went ahead and changed things up a bit. So now my colors will be:

MC ~ White

A ~ Purple

B ~ Garnet

C ~ Pale Pink

D ~ Amethyst

At least this way I can work on the blocks, till I can get the rest of the yarn. And thankfully the white , pink and garnet have the same amount of yarn so I could change things.

Archived