Wedding Favor Idea

I have this idea for my daughter's wedding, but would love some input from other crocheters. I would like to crochet thread squares that could be used as the 'bags' for candy to be placed at each person's seat. I then want to have the guests enjoy the candy but leave the square for the bride and groom. I would then take them and join them into a tablecloth. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and if you have any advice for me. I'm trying to think of a little note I could attach to the candy bag to let people know what I'm trying to do. All input would be greatly appreciated:)

It's a lovely idea, but you'll need to make it clear what you're doing, or many people will take the squares home. I would suggest putting the candy in a celephane bag under the square and a note attached with a ribbon asking everyone to leave the square. :)

I think it is a lovely idea, but I guess I am wonering why you will gamble the squares at all? Some people will take anything that isn't fixed in place, even if you ask them not to. I love the idea of attaching a blank card for people to write a sentiment on!

I agree with Shell, people will just assume that the squares are for the taking and even explaining it won't necessarily help.

The idea of cards for a wedding wish is nice but I just wouldn't leave those squares open to temptation like that. If you could find some way to secure them or have people pay for the piece of cake with the wishes and squares. it might work. Brides and grooms still hand deliver cake right?

maybe add a card attached with a ribbon for the guests to write a special note to the couple. then the sentiments could be given with the tablecloth.

nadine

I´m loving this idea!

Thank you all. Great ideas. I will put the candy in a little bag then surround it with the square and tie it with a ribbon. I will attach a card( have to get creative with the wording). I think I will have a basket for people to drop the square in with a the card and their sentiment attached. Hmmm maybe I'll have a friend in charge of going from table to table with the basket. Do you think that would work?

Anyone know of a quick and simple square pattern that will look great as a tablecloth when done?

Another idea could be to begin all your squares with a small cloth center and crochet around that. Leaving the middle for their thoughts of well wishes. and then having others that are jus crocheted squares that will be added in later. Just a thought.

While this is a wonderful idea it would only work in a perfect situation in a perfect world. You would be lucky to get about 1/2 of the squares back. It amazes me how people will behave at weddings. Just last month I was at a wedding where guests were getting up and walking out with the centerpieces. Groomsmen had to chase them down to get them back. The centerpieces were rented and of course had to be returned. But some people just assume everything is free for the taking.

Plus you have to be very careful not to walk on the side of tacky. Giving a gift and then asking for it back. While I think the Idea is wonderful some people might think it tacky.

I do like the note card idea (this might work) and also Crochet Nanny's idea.

Although your sentiments are lovely, I know I personally would feel a bit odd if the "wedding favour" was actually a present for the happy couple, not something the guests could take home to remember the event. I always like to have that little memento from a wedding and would find it unusual that it was not meant to be taken home at all.

maybe add a card attached with a ribbon for the guests to write a special note to the couple. then the sentiments could be given with the tablecloth.

nadine

That was exactly what I was thinking, that way the guest won't take the square! And this is a wonderful idea!

Just to add to what everyone's said already -- a lot of people don't eat the candy while they're sitting there at the table, they take it home with them (since it's a party favor, not part of the dessert, they often save it for later or take it to a kid who stayed home). They might not notice what's on the card if they just stick the whole thing in their pockets without unwrapping it.

I like the suggestion of giving people the candy without the crocheted squares, asking them to write a note to the couple on a piece of fabric, then crocheting a border around the fabric to work all the good wishes and congratulations directly into the tablecloth!

Darski - I have never heard of the bride and groom hand delivering the cake. Is this a tradition where you are from? :think

I don't mean to answer the question to Darski, but thought I'd say that most of the weddings I've been to the bride and groom do this, walk around with a basket close to the end of the night and talk to everyone while giving out the cake...it could be a Canadian tradition, I just assumed all weddings were like that. :D

At most of the weddings I've been to, the bride and groom do walk around to talk to their guests but they don't hand out cake. Instead, one or more people designated in advance cut the cake and the guests pick up their own slices. The "slicer" wraps the cake if the guest wants to take it home.

I have noticed though that many people will take anything that's not nailed now: centerpieces, glasses, etc. (:eek) I don't understand that (:no), but sometimes the things that human beings do simply amaze me (:rolleyes). So, the idea of the card sounds like the better way to go (:yes)....

I would not leave the squares in the wild if I were you. Too risky and as many other people said, the guests will take them home. Even I myself will take them home (more than one squares) because they're crocheted and beautiful :yes

The card idea is the way to go. You can make the squares and join them on your own but don't leave them for the world to see.

Hello,

I am sharing this idea with you since it worked so well in our family. This was not for a wedding, but for one of my cousins serving in the Middle East .

At our family reunion, I had each person fill out a note to my cousin . I already had the afghan made ( squares of red,white and blue ) ,and hanging up .When they finished their notes to him, I tied them onto the afghan for him and sent it to him after reunion . He was very touched that so many of the family had put their special thoughts and wishes down for him to keep as a remembrance . That is what I would do for your wedding squares -just collect notes from everyone to attach to the tablecloth, then maybe you could include a small scrapbook of some type for them to keep the notes in once they are removed from the tablecloth .

I agree with everyone else, I sure wouldn't count on those squares being there at the end of the reception. At my daughter's wedding her aunt took the camera that was on the table home, thought it was a favor. People think everything is for the taking. Charlene

I think you should make the tablecloth (or whatever) for your gift & then decide on something small to make for favours so the guests can take something handmade away with them.

If you want notes from people have a book (you can crochet a special cover) for people to write wishes in & present this after the wedding.

I would appreciate a crocheted favour.

:cheer I am more than loving this idea, as I am helping my daughter with her wedding this summer, This would be a great thing to do, Thanks so much I even have an idea for a perfect square, the"Norwegian Coaster" would make a perfect afghan or tablecloth when joined, don't you think?

Here's the link;

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8mnnp/norfilcoaster.html

Archived