My Family Won't Let Me Buy Anymore Yarn, Patterns or Hooks

Yup, that's what it's come to!:eek Can YOU believe that????? What a bunch of insensitive ingrates! The only one still on my side (I think) is Ah Leah in Virginia, but the rest of them have turned their backs on me and my humongous stash:sigh ...

My ungrateful - yeah, that's right UNGRATEFUL daughter Tara says, and I quote, "Michael's gives me a headache." So no more Michael's (Shoot, I have all their yarn anyway) and I've always got:ebay ... but then I pulled out my yarn swift and my ball winder and the kitchen table was all covered when they wanted to eat, they saw how much 'fancy' yarn I have and... *where's a 'smiley' of pulling the eBay plug?* yeah.:juggle whatever.

Then Todd joins in, at 14 with no appreciation for the WARM AFGHANS THAT ARE AROUND FOR HIM AND HIS FRIENDS MADE BY YOURS TRULY and says, "Mom, seriously, this is ridiculous"... just 'cause he moved a chair and 20 skeins of Simply Soft rolled out:grump I have NO idea how that got there... really:huh

And you'd think I committed a Federal offense when I innocently suggested we could get rid of one of the living room couches to make more room for my crochet stuff... it was just a thought :2nono but NOOOOOOO.

So now I've been told I have to finish at least FIVE things before I can even THINK of getting anything else:reyes ... Thank goodness the ultimatim came AFTER I had ordered six more hanks of hand-dyed yarn, one really pretty wooden crochet hook with roses painted on it and the most recent copy of Interweave Crochet... :nahnah .... and of course bidding on Jimbo's latest hook auction doesn't count 'cause I already have a bid in so I'm allowed to raise it:neener !

Thank you for listening. I feel much better. I'm going to go crochet something... I will post pictures as I finish the five things:photo

And would somebody tell me WHY IS THAT WOMAN KNITTING:knit

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ungrateful can they get? You could have really horrible hobbies Paulette, maybe take up raising baby skunks? Oil painting with really smelly paint? I know....Make Limburger cheese at home!

ok, they didn't say What things...dishcloths go fast. Wristwarmers?

And if those fluffy warm afghans should all disappear?

Now, with all this newfound free time, you have to conduct room inspections...of their rooms only of course.

Why that is absolutely the worst form of inhumane punishment I have ever heard of! Girlfriend, you need to FIND BETTER HIDING PLACES!!

BTW Bookmarks are fast, and so are little girls purses... just some suggestions...lol!

I feel your pain... my stash is nowhere near that big (I have all my yarn in the box my dell laptop was delivered to me in) and my family still thinks I have way too much yarn! :eek My little sister and one of my older ones were the only people in my family to support my crocheting so I was going to make an afghan for each of them for christmas. I had even already started on them when my parents (of all people! :yell) brainwashed them into believing that crocheting is "a stupid waste of time and money for people with nothing better to do with their lives" (what my MOM said, as reported by my little sister)!! So I frogged all that I had already done and now I have no idea what i'm going to do with all my yarn. Oh yeah, my family wants me to sell my "hundreds" of crochet hooks I have accumulated. Uh yeah, I have a G, 2 H, a J, a K and an afghan hook - that's it!

Thanks for letting me rant in your thread... :D:hug

ankey, that's just wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Your family doesn't deserve those afghans - get them something impersonal like a coffee mug or a tie.

And as far as little projects, oh, NO NO NO! That rotton daughter of mine made a list of all my WIP's:eek - Can you BELIEVE IT????:angry The nerve!

So I'm supposed to finish two afghans I started, the Butterfly Shawl (I guess I sorta should do that 'cause I did suggest the Crochet Along), this gray shrug that I got bored with, the tunic I was making for her (which I stayed up until 11:00 last night and FINISHED IT - pictures forthcoming).

I got mad and wrestled a couple of grocery bags of abstract yarns from under the couch and I'm making a Vent Afghan - these are balls/hunks of yarn that there's not enough to do anything else with so I'm going back and forth making this really angry afghan - but I'm feeling it! VH1 Classics is playing a really old AC/DC concert from when Bon Scott was still alive and it's great to crochet by!

Thanks for all the support and understanding... you guys are the BEST! (unlike my rotton, no good....:angry

Ankey wow I can think of alot of other things you could spend your money or time on that are really worthless & bad but crocheting :think Hmmm *shrugs* My mom would have been so proud of me if I had crocheted before she passed away.

how RUDE of your family. That's just, .......aaarrrrggggghhhh......and after you gave BIRTH to them.

Ok, next time Tara wants to go somewhere, tell her "no hunny, it gives me a headache". As for the son, take any/all of his afghans from his room since he doesnt appreciate them (since you are in Cally, not too sure just how cold it gets, but he might still miss 'em). :heehee

and, on bright side, you have finished 1 of the 5 items. Now, hmm.... you COULD be cruel and start serving just sandwiches instead of hot meals so that you have time to "work on your 4 remaining projects", and could let the laundry slide (hey, at 14 your son is old enough to do his own) for that as well. Let's see, how else can we make them regret their mutiny?:scrachin

sandy:devil

lol, a vent afghan - you have to post pics of that once you get done with it. I agree with Sandy. :P You should hide away all the warm afghans from your son so that he can learn to appreciate having a wonderful mom that crochets these things but put them all in one big box and say you've just decided to donate them to charity and then just hide the box somewhere. Or pretend you are too busy trying to get your WIPs done that you don't have time to do wash the dishes, cook a warm dinner or take them to the movies or to go shopping.

Give all the ingrates underwear for Christmas, two sizes too big. Or a 12 pack of toilet paper. Serve them Cream of Rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sheesh!

Yikes!

I don't have that problem...only because my husband wouldn't dare say anything about my craft and my daughter wouldn't dare either. Even when my daughter lived with me she never said anything...not to my face anyway. I think if she ever did say anything to me, I'd turn her room into a craft room..hahahaha...

I could be doing a whole lot worse things than crocheting...

Good Luck

Martha

:haha:laughroll:rofl :rofl :laughroll:haha

My husband has so given up! He went with me to Wal-Mart to get organizers to put in the basement to store all of my yarn!

When the kids come to visit they want to know what I have made so they can go shopping! Specially my Granddaughter! :laughroll

Paullette, I feel your pain! Last night I was minding my own business in my craft room, covered with yarn, 2 doggies and a bunch of crochet mags on the floor when he walks in, looks around and says "I thought you weren't going to let your craft room get messy in the new house?" Hey, the only reason the mags were on the floor is because I was looking for a particular pattern and can't put them back til I've gone through all the magazines! And the only reason that there was a bunch of yarn all over the place is because I wanted to look at it. So what that it's on the floor, it's MY floor!

Men just don't understand! And when we do have kids, they WILL understand that mommy is obsessive over crochet items, yarn, hooks, mags and toys and that if they even THINK about saying one words about it, the only toys they'll have to play with are ones they crochet, THEMSELVES! :hook

Hey Ankey, I had hobbies my mom didn't like when I was younger, and she would complain, until the day I asked her, "Mom, would you rather have me hang out with a small group of trusted friends that watch out for me, or do what most kids my age do, which is get drunk and go home with people they don't know?" (this was college.)

It was VERY effective. And you could crochet for charity; how's that for making your family feel bad when they see the beautiful things you make in order to SELFLESSLY help others? (they will probably be jealous when they see that your work is actually gorgeous and they can't have it.).

P.S. I am not as mean as I sound, just in a hurry, but I couldn't resist throwing a few suggestions out *grin*

Ahhh Paulette........they should be ashamed of themselves:blush ...turning your joy:hook into your stress:irk! But if it helps any, my family just shake their heads and walk away from me as well!:lol

But there is still the mystery about the KNITTER:knit on Crochetville! It always bothered me that there wasn't a crocheter...except for this one:hook ! Thanks for pointing this out! I thought I was being too sensitive! Just think of all the lovely projects you have waiting for you! Remember there are places in this world were little kids have to go to bed without being able to crochet ANYTHING.......:eek!

Ah sweetie, I'm so sorry your family's giving you a rough time...I'm chuckling over your orginal post. I'm leaving tomorrow for the states, but will try to visit when I go check my email at the library. I sent something to you priority mail last Thursday, can you let me know when you get it. See, I appreciate you, I really do...:lol:

I'm sorry to hear that your family is so unreasonable. Please don't feel badly - even the best of mothers can have difficult children. It's probably just a phase they're going through. I'm sure they'll outgrow it. :hug:

;)

Ah you poor thing. Luckily I don't have that problem. My daughter keeps handing me patterns for MORE projects she wants me to do - and hubby? Well, he's a civil war reenactor. Do you have any idea how expensive that hobby can be? heh.. he'd better not say anything about my yarns and hooks and mys tash, cuz if he does, he'll be sleeping in his tent, freezing his buns off and wondering why he didn't keep his mouth shut so I'd finish that afghan he wanted for the reenactments. HAH!

BTW... PB&J's for everyone until the projects are done. That'll teach 'em.

Your support is so wonderful! Thank you, all!

I fell asleep in my crochet chair last night slaving over a Jimbo crochet hook making my Vent Afghan... I am grabbing any available ball of yarn and making this zig-zag patterned afghan, and when one color runs out I just tie on the next one. I'll show them.:devil

I appreciate the suggestions, but I've stashed yarn under every bed, behind every chair, the attic is 'built-out' so I can sorta hide things under the bed up there... As far as stopping cooking and laundering, um, they dont' let me cook. My cooking is really bad and I've had a few oven fires...

But, I will post a pic of the tunic I finished (Item #1) and I think you'll be proud of me... I'll have to do that tonight though - turns out I'm employed and traffic isn't getting any lighter her in L.A.!

Love ya all:hug

I got mad and wrestled a couple of grocery bags of abstract yarns from under the couch and I'm making a Vent Afghan - these are balls/hunks of yarn that there's not enough to do anything else with so I'm going back and forth making this really angry afghan - but I'm feeling it! VH1 Classics is playing a really old AC/DC concert from when Bon Scott was still alive and it's great to crochet by!

A Vent Afghan...I LOVE IT!!!! That should count for a completed project in the end...

Remember though, you have that wonderful little cottage...:grin

Paulette, I admire your ability to turn your hardship into something fun and positive that we can all read and enjoy. Good luck with the vent afghan and I will look for your "Show and Tell" posts of finished projects!

....and no, I haven't given up on my butterfly shawl....

You could always take up another hobby. You say you can't cook? Start cooking. Is there an instrument you don't play? Start and do it really loudly. Crochet won't seem that bad. Take those afghans to shelter where they will be appreciated.

Ds is 3 and he knows not to touch any of my crocheting. He is always happy when I make him something. Dh thinks it is great that I crochet. He does wonder about the yarn stash though.

Rachel

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Say it isn't so! Don't they realize that they are upsetting your legacy? Don't they realize that they are jeapordizing construction of the Memorial Funky hook whittling corner on the front porch of the cabin on the crick??

Egads! Don't they realize what a huge impact they're having on the whole economy of Ferry County by delaying an increase in their already meager tax base??

Good grief!!

If my family did this, I don't know what I'd do. I make all of the birthday presents for the parties my kids go to. I guess they just wouldn't get to go...

Right on w/the vent afghan! You could do a series of "vent" crochet projects, get it published and when the money rolls in, tell them it's all for MORE YARN!

Archived