My Family Won't Let Me Buy Anymore Yarn, Patterns or Hooks

This thread gave me the chuckles. I can say that because my daughters are 4 and 2 and are still begging me to crochet things for them. Well, at least the 4 yo wants most everything I make that is kid sized - whether it's for her or not.

Is this what I have to look forward to? Teenagers scorning my crochet obsession? Ugh, I'm not ready for that.

I'm trying to work my stash down to 2 bins from 2 bins and a lg black garbage bag and a few shopping bags here and there. I keep telling myself that I don't need yarn. I have enough. Someday I might believe it, but it hasn't worked yet.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making some progress today - worked a bit on the Butterfly Crochet Shawl and then also on the Lisette Shawl, so that felt good...

Had a bit of a setback last night when hubby called me into the den to show me what had dislodged from the rafters in the garage and fallen on his head: A bag with about 15 skeins of red heart - 8 of a pretty spottled beige and seven that went with an afghan WIP that I have NO RECOLLECTION OF WHATSOEVER! I swear, it's NOT MINE!!!! Somebody put it there and I want answers NOW! :devil

It does have the crochet hook in it:hook but no pattern - fortunately it is an easy looking shell repeat so I think I'll be able to figure it out without too much trouble... and it is pretty. It alternates between a veriagated yarn and then a blue that matches perfectly with one of the shades in the veriagated yarn... but the edges:eek OH MY GOSH! I (or whoever was making this thing ) had no clue what to do with them so they are tied in knots with string hanging out *tsk tsk* so I'll have to weave those in and also put some sort of border around it... I'll try and get a picture up soon, give ya'all a good laugh:lol .

:eek Now WHAT is your husband doing by going SNOOPING around the rafters of the garage:think , its ALL a set up tell him!! He MUST have run to a yard sale and found it, and stratigically placed it in the rafters, now you just go and tell him"Hunny, now how have I, little 'ole ME gotten that up there?? Nope, it isnt mine..all a grand conspiricy here:devil

:hug

Wow! You almost make me feel better about my yarn closet and my few various bags scattered here and there. :lol I do have 90% of them organized, but it's stuffed so that I forget to arrange them (yarn closet does not have light inside :cry) My kids are too young to make any ultimatums although DD1 is desperate for me to teach her to crochet...I will include that in her homeschooling curriculum though. I can't wait to sit down and teach her my "art".

Anyways, your post really made my day and I feel soo much better about my stash heeheehee.

Oh, my! You tell 'em!!! But you do know that if (god forbid :eek) you never made anything ever again, they will miss it dearly!!!!

I am so glad that my family is supportive of my crochet! My oldest crochets and my 2 youngest want to learn LOL :hook

And when it comes to my hubby, he knows that he has no room to talk!

Between his collection of 2-3 thousand Magic the Gathering cards that are scattered though the house (He actually has about 2 or 3 boxes of them in our bed even :rolleyes ) other misc. card games and the 50+ board games and expantion sets everywhere, he has absolutly no say on how big my yarn and bead stash is :P Yes, my DH is definantely an over-grown kid :yes

Starr...your DH sounds like mine!! We've got 6 big shipping boxes full of gaming cards...Magic, Kindred (vampire game based on an RPG), Babylon 5, and at least 3 others that I can picture the cards but can't think of the game's name...and then there are the shelves of RPG books and supplement books...and this is after he's shaved the collection down by getting rid of all his Hero Clicks pieces....and he NEVER plays any of the games anymore but doesn't want to get rid of the cards....he's even tried to convince me to frame a bunch of Magic cards to hang on the walls of our apartment as decoration....I told him we needed to get family pics up on the walls first...like, maybe pics of the kids??? :D

Then there's the boxes of computer stuff that he keeps just in case something breaks...but whenever something on the PC breaks, he still doesn't have what we need to fix it and has to run to the store LOL!!

Yeah, maybe that's why he doesn't give me much trouble about my yarn...after all, I actually USE the stuff I've got taking up space LOL!!!

Jessie

Starr...your DH sounds like mine!! We've got 6 big shipping boxes full of gaming cards...Magic, Kindred (vampire game based on an RPG), Babylon 5, and at least 3 others that I can picture the cards but can't think of the game's name...and then there are the shelves of RPG books and supplement books...and this is after he's shaved the collection down by getting rid of all his Hero Clicks pieces....and he NEVER plays any of the games anymore but doesn't want to get rid of the cards....he's even tried to convince me to frame a bunch of Magic cards to hang on the walls of our apartment as decoration....I told him we needed to get family pics up on the walls first...like, maybe pics of the kids??? :D

Then there's the boxes of computer stuff that he keeps just in case something breaks...but whenever something on the PC breaks, he still doesn't have what we need to fix it and has to run to the store LOL!!

Yeah, maybe that's why he doesn't give me much trouble about my yarn...after all, I actually USE the stuff I've got taking up space LOL!!!

Jessie

LOL!!!! That is so funny Jessie!!! He does sound like my DH!!!! I didn't mention the Hero Clicks or the RPG books and stuff, but we have all of those too!!! I have heard of Kindred ,but he actually has the Jyhad Vampire collectable card game LOL And, yes, the computer stuff! We actually have 4 desktop computers and 3 monitors, but only 2 of each actually work. Oh, did I mention the 2 laptops? LOL

Yeah, they really don't have any room to complain, do they? LOL :D

Oh my:eek ! What must that be like to have all those cards and RPG's everywhere? AGGGHHHHH! Yarn is so pretty and soft - beautiful textures and colors... and patterns to dream about making, lovely hooks that feel so comfortable to hold! How could those cards even compare to our crochet stuff????:no They can't!

In an effort to 'kiss up' to hubby I am trying to make this no-bead crochet rosary, and I think the Big Guy doesn't want me to make it:lol - 'cause it's not working! I have tried several patterns but I can't get anything but a crocheted blob instead of a crocheted bead.

I switched back to the Lisette Shawl and making great progress on that!:clap and was going to make a 'jump' on the Butterfly Shawl and hook the 12 finished squares together but was warned that can have a negative effect when you've only finished part - can actually 'cause a psychological block in finishing it:blush - wouldn't want THAT to happen!:devil

Buy it when no one is looking and stash it, my boot of my car is full of wool think of ways of hiding it in novel ways. under the bed is a good hiding place or under the mattress. dont let anyone get in the way of you and your stash xx

Well, SECRETSTASHER, your name betrays you!:lol I remember reading the suggestion in a post quite a while back to make a careful discreet cut on the edge of the boxspring and stash the yarn in their, throw a bed skirt over it and, voila, no one would be any the wiser... hmmm... anybody got an exacto knife???:manyheart

Oh my:eek ! What must that be like to have all those cards and RPG's everywhere? AGGGHHHHH! Yarn is so pretty and soft - beautiful textures and colors... and patterns to dream about making, lovely hooks that feel so comfortable to hold! How could those cards even compare to our crochet stuff????:no They can't!

Your right, they can't LOL

The cards drive me nuts, but I don't really complain because he lets me buy more yarn and beads when I want.

The worst is having to sleep in the same bed with those boxes of cards:rolleyes

Yeah, I got the name of the game wrong...he's got the Jyhad cards!! That's too funny!!!

I do have to say though that I share the Magic cards and some of the RPG stuff if we ever get a game going...and there was one Magic card in particular that I had kept hold of for 5 years after I got rid of all the rest of my collection simply because I loved the image on it and planned to get the image as a tattoo...some of the artwork is actually beautiful....though it's not nearly as beautiful as looking at a skein of unworked yarn and picturing all the things you could make with it!!:D

Jessie

Jessie, I agree. Some of the Magic cards are really quite works of art. I think they have very talented people work on them. Reminds me of ATCs.

Paulette, I am getting inspired by you to work on my current WIPs rather than starting a new one every other day. :lol As soon as I'm done with my gosh darn abstract submission for next year's American Physical Society meeting (don't you hate it when work gets in the way of crocheting?), I'll try to finish at least one of the WIPs...

Yeah, I got the name of the game wrong...he's got the Jyhad cards!! That's too funny!!!

I do have to say though that I share the Magic cards and some of the RPG stuff if we ever get a game going...and there was one Magic card in particular that I had kept hold of for 5 years after I got rid of all the rest of my collection simply because I loved the image on it and planned to get the image as a tattoo...some of the artwork is actually beautiful....though it's not nearly as beautiful as looking at a skein of unworked yarn and picturing all the things you could make with it!!:D

Jessie

LOL, I have a couple of RPG books and dice of my own. I used to have my own Magic cards, until they got sucked up in to my DH's collection LOL, and we collect the art of some of the artists who did some of the Magic cards. We actually have an original painting by L.A. Williams and my DH collects all of the cards that Anson Maddocks did the artwork on and I really like the art of NeNe Thomas, Susan Van Camp and Randy Asplund. They all have their work on the Magic cards. We actually know L.A. (Alan), Susan and Randy personally :D

But, I agree with you about the yarn though :hook:yarn

Hunny, you just stick to your guns. You can never have too much yarn stash. I have yarn everywhere stashed and some in the open. Project bags behind my end tables, behind my couch, next to my chair, I even managed to hide some stash in my ottoman. One end of my attic I have several bins of yarn. One year my husband had the nerve while I was out to sell some of my yarn. Well needless to say my husband is a sports fanatic, he watches hockey, baseball, and football. I had sports channels canceled on our cable (cable is in my name) and he couldn't do anything about it. So until he caved and left me alone about my yarn and crochet he couldn't have his sports. It didn't take long for him to cave. The fact is like I told him, atleast I'm home and not out partying and running around. I have come to a point at one time where he had me so stressed I almost wanted to give up my crochet but I refused to cave. Stick to your guns. We're addicted but to a good thing.

Kim

my husband started giving me same attitude last night about there being yarn on the sofa and in a chair. I just looked and him and smiled then started talking about something else. I make as much money as he does so dont even go there. He also loves his hobby, and so i get very little lip from him about buying too much crochet stuff. I need my stress relief and i dont care what he thinks. by the way when he needs a gift for someone at work "whipped up at the last minute" boy do i go to town on the payback...BUt really he is proud of my addiction and doesnt say too much.

I too have been forbidden to pick up any more yarn, at least until there's room to fit it into my little 6L Rubbermaid container, and have the lid fit properly.

'Course, this decree is coming from my Hubby, the guy who can't go into Canadian Tire without coming out with some sort of auto part that somehow never makes it onto the cars... methinks I'll just have to get creative with my yarn stashing so my Hubby won't notice - there are some pretty good ideas in this thread and our couch is a little saggy in the middle... hmmm

I'll tell ya what my 16 yr old gave me a great idea when i busted him when I went to flip his mattress and found a hole in the bottom of it and found his hidden stash of games and such, he stated he was hiding the things from his brother he shares a room with. If I wouldn't of flipped that mattress I wouldn't of even known it was there until he needed the new one, lol. Now I wouldn't destroy our relatively new mattress for a stash (hubby would never flip a mattress or clean between it and the box spring) or would I????

Hey Paulette, did you get my package yet?

:eek You MISSED my public Thank You!!!:eek Please click to the thread below:hook

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36533

You silly! You must have thought it was lost in the mail! I LOVE it!

I've only just seen this thread, and I've been given this sort of ultimatum by my husband! Yes I have a lot of yarn, and yes I have plans for all of it.

He doesn't get why I buy yarn before I'm actually going to start the project. He gets angry at the amount of money I spend on it all. Which really, isn't all that much.

I work too! Shouldn't I be allowed to purchase what I want as long as we're not doing with out the necesseties? I mean I could be spending it on drugs, or alcohol to use as stress relief!

It makes my blood boil! Where to do these families types get off telling us we can't buy yarn!

The Lion Homespun ESCAPED from under the bed onto HUBBY'S side!!!:eek He got up this morning and was stepping on skeins of the stuff... turns out I pushed too hard from the opposite side (my side) and didn't realize it was coming out from the other side... darn. And it's a king-sized bed, too... that's a lot of Homespun.

On a good note, though, I have two afghans nearing done-ness... I HAVE to work on more than one project at a time - get bored with just one.

Haven't started Ah Leah's tunic yet and have already blown one week of my three-weeks (she said she expects it in three weeks!).

The Butterflies are hybernating from the Butterfly Shawl, but Halcyon called me and my back-ordered thread is finally in (that does NOT constitute a new purchase of yarn!!!!)

I'll post a pic later of the afghans... they're really coming out nice - great feeling of accomplishment...

Now I need to go beat back the Homespun!:devil

After you get your 5 projects done, tell them they have "reformed" you-you are going to take up other things in place of crochet! Start cooking and make it "really bad", do lots of other things very badly also. "Help" them with things they do, and do it very badly, lol. Soon, hopefully, they will want you to return to your beloved crochet and leave them alone, lol. :devil

I've only just seen this thread, and I've been given this sort of ultimatum by my husband! Yes I have a lot of yarn, and yes I have plans for all of it.

He doesn't get why I buy yarn before I'm actually going to start the project. He gets angry at the amount of money I spend on it all. Which really, isn't all that much.

I work too! Shouldn't I be allowed to purchase what I want as long as we're not doing with out the necesseties? I mean I could be spending it on drugs, or alcohol to use as stress relief!

It makes my blood boil! Where to do these families types get off telling us we can't buy yarn!

Well, I know Paulette said she really did need to rein back a bit on her yarn obsession :hug . . . but others' talk of being "forbidden" to buy yarn or being given ultimatums makes me mad, and sad. . .

These days I'm alone and don't have to answer to anyone as to how I spend my money. I have to be a bit careful, as I live on disability benefit, but I can still manage to pay my bills, eat and buy the odd crochet treat. :)

But when I was married and working, we each contributed a set amount to the household account and what I did with the rest of my earnings was my business. For a couple of years when I wasn't working, my husband gave me a small monthly allowance as my "personal" money. He wouldn't have dreamed of telling me what I could and couldn't buy; it was mine to spend (or blow!) as I saw fit. Might be worth negotiating a similar agreement?

I asked my ex-husband for an allowance -- even if a very small one was all we could afford -- after having seen my mother have to ask my father for money for every little thing she needed, a pair of tights, a hairdo, etc. So humiliating (they didn't have a bank account, let alone a joint one). We did have a joint account, but I didn't feel I should spend that money on myself without asking and didn't want to have to get hubby's approval before buying anything (especially if it was a gift :lol ). So an allowance was the perfect answer for me.

Archived