funkyreporter

My Family Won't Let Me Buy Anymore Yarn, Patterns or Hooks

I can only aspire to have a stash like that. :yarn I've started moving other stuff(a drawer of previously paid bills) around to make room for my yarn, but the other stuff has nowhere to go. Ah well, there's always storage. :D

And I'm drooling over that rose colored yarn in the last pic...lovely. Ooh, and your thread cache...and is that Bernat Softee Chunky? Makes me think that the last thing I need to do today is go to my A.C. Moore tonite for the Stich n Bitch...surrounded by all that yarn... :lol

You guys are so funny!

Thank goodness DH wasn't home when the mail came today: Another crochet magazine and a box of heavy-weight variegated cotton (2,400 yards) in six different colors! These were both ordered prior to the ultimatum so they don't count!:no

When I was trying to take pictures of the yarn, magazines and hooks I could sorta see their point - there really is NO reason to go to the yarn store - I have everything I need... I think I'm a compulsive yarn hoarder:eek (there was a thread about that a while back...)

I posted some pictures in the thread below during a discussion about wooden hooks... I am PATHETIC!!!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36470

Paulette,

I think you are probably a hook expert judging by your collection. Of the wood ones and casting aside Jimbo's, how would you rate the others?

Personally, based on the pictures you've posted, I think you have a long way to go before your stash is unmanagable.:yes

Of course, If you ever want to part with either, I would gladly take them off your hands :drool:heehee

Ah, the Ventgahn LIVES! It's trying to slither away but I got it to 'pose for the camera', so here you go:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j80/Paulette112264/tunic002.jpg

No ball of yarn is safe! If it's within reach, it goes in the ventgahn!

As far as the hooks are concerned these are nice and the seller has good feedback (this is where I purchased mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brittany-Wooden-Crochet-Hook-Size-7-4-5-mm-Wood_W0QQitemZ140042574115QQihZ004QQcategoryZ28140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are nice bamboo crochet hooks, very comfortable to work with, though I am unfamiliar with this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOVER-BAMBOO-CROCHET-HOOK-SET-SIZES-E-K_W0QQitemZ110046215045QQihZ001QQcategoryZ28140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also LOVE my crystallites! I have the larger and smaller size sets (again, don't know about this specific seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIP-CRYSTALITE-CROCHET-HOOKS-RED-HEART-SET-G-K_W0QQitemZ270045743663QQihZ017QQcategoryZ28140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And then I have a set of these and they're pretty nice too (not familiar with the seller)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOVER-Soft-Touch-Crochet-Hook-SET-C-J-2-5mm-to-6-0-mm_W0QQitemZ250041468961QQihZ015QQcategoryZ28140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My aluminum hooks I use for thread crochet, of course, and other plastic ones that I have I use when I'm teaching someone and then I give them the hook and yarn so they can keep practicing...

:lol I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at this thread.

However you do not compare to me on the stashing yarn thing. I have so much that it isn't even funny. And of course this last week JoAnn had a big sale (Big to me) and I brought home two huge bags full. :clap

I support myself and me and my son live alone. But my BF stays alot and he tried once to say something. Now he just goes "How much did you spend, did you get all the ones you wanted" The whole crochet thing has not just taken over my house, it is the third roommate. It has its own spot in the bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, livingroom, closets, dinining room. (there are a few other spots too)

It would be great if it would start chipping in on the bills:yes

I really have to laugh...it's so funny, though not sure it is to you. I just might have your stash beat...sure is close. Mine is mostly is boxes & bags, in my back craft room which is small. I did order 3 shoe holders that holds 36 prs. figure I can get 2-3 skeins in each spot. They haven't come in yet...hate the thought of tackling that back room.

P.S.

They day my kids tell me what I can and can't do, is the day I quit everything, and they take over.

Okay. One down, four to go.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=508225&posted=1#post508225

And isn't the ventgahn UGLY!!!!! Who knew pink and orange could clash so badly! This thing clashes with itself... I LOVE IT!!!!! I think I'll put it on my husband's den couch when it's done... just 'cause I LOVE HIM SO MUCH...

then for son I'll make an ear flap hat out of camo yarn with pom-poms and maybe give it a mohawk finish across the top - you know those teens love snowboarding!:devil

Guess I'm lucky. No kids, just cats :catand they love it when I crochet. In fact they sometimes bring me yarn when I'm at the computer. Of course the ball is spread from one end of the house to the other but...

Now I know you have been told that you can't buy anymore yarn but they didn't say anything about other people buying yarn for you. So take a friend to Michael's and just give them a list of what you want. and when the bags appear in the house you can honestly say "I Didin't Buy It":hook :blush:hook:devil:goodorbad

Paulette,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of hooks. I've got some bamboo, the Clover Soft Touch, Bates, Boye's, a Hero, and just got some Tunisian wood cro-hooks that are wonderful. Different hooks just work better with different yarn (but I'm guessing you know that) and I'm continuing to add to my collection.

As for the ventghan, that is some pretty fuzzy yarn! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished picture.

Also, there is no mistaking your daughter! She is very pretty and the resemblance shows with the pencil drawing of you! Great job on the tunic.:cheer:clap:yay

I'm cheering for you!!!!:cheer :cheer :yes

Paulette,

Thank you for the comprehensive review of hooks. I've got some bamboo, the Clover Soft Touch, Bates, Boye's, a Hero, and just got some Tunisian wood cro-hooks that are wonderful. Different hooks just work better with different yarn (but I'm guessing you know that) and I'm continuing to add to my collection.

As for the ventghan, that is some pretty fuzzy yarn! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished picture.

Also, there is no mistaking your daughter! She is very pretty and the resemblance shows with the pencil drawing of you! Great job on the tunic.:cheer:clap:yay

I'm cheering for you!!!!:cheer :cheer :yes

Well, Fidgement, if I can't buy more hooks I can at least review the ones I already have:lol . And as far as my daughter is concerned, do stop:blush ... really, i insist... well, okay... you can keep complimenting, i can take it!

A few of you have mentioned "the day the kids tell ME what to do..." and I just wanted to let you all know this was sort of an intervention type thing that families and friends do when a loved one is sufferring from an addiction or affliction and they need help.

Yes, folks, I needed a CROCHET INTERVENTION!!!!:yes

But it's a GOOD thing... the yarn I showed in pictures was only about 20% of the stash. And yes I am purposely grabbing the most hideous color combinations I can find for that ventgahn. Hubby is really cheering me on making that ugly thing, too:think , and heck, who knows... might be able to crochet my way out of this mess:hook

Paulette...

Honey...at least you're that much closer to hitting the required FO number....

Can I tell you that I want a stash like yours when I grow up?? That's my new life's goal....I just want to have all that yarn at my fingertips anytime I want it....I'm just going to wait til we're in a house so that I know I'll never have to deal with packing it all up to move LOL!!! You might have needed a crochet intervention, but you're my yarn hero!!!:manyheart

And I think that ventghan is rockin' right along!! Maybe you could make the kids vent scarfs or vent hats???? Not sure how cold it gets by you....but it would definately serve as a reminder that it would probably be best to leave Momma alone with her hooking LOL!!!

Jessie

Well, Fidgement, if I can't buy more hooks I can at least review the ones I already have:lol . And as far as my daughter is concerned, do stop:blush ... really, i insist... well, okay... you can keep complimenting, i can take it!

A few of you have mentioned "the day the kids tell ME what to do..." and I just wanted to let you all know this was sort of an intervention type thing that families and friends do when a loved one is sufferring from an addiction or affliction and they need help.

Yes, folks, I needed a CROCHET INTERVENTION!!!!:yes

But it's a GOOD thing... the yarn I showed in pictures was only about 20% of the stash. And yes I am purposely grabbing the most hideous color combinations I can find for that ventgahn. Hubby is really cheering me on making that ugly thing, too:think , and heck, who knows... might be able to crochet my way out of this mess:hook

Paulette,

I for one am proud of you! I think whether we like it or not, we could all use an intervention sometimes!! ROFL! I'm tempted to start the "Crochet along with Paulette CAL" Just to give you all the moral support (and finish a few of my own wips) we can!

You go girl!

paulette i too am very proud of you. so much that i have decided that i too must finish at least 5 things before i make anymore,. my yarn addiction has gotten so out of hand is not even funny. shoot i have a 10x12 room full of yarn stacked from floor to ceiling high and still have it in all the other places my faily complains about. such as the linen closet, the bathroom closet(who needs all that tp anyway) the garage, my trunk of my car is full and the dining room too has been taken over by boxes of yarn,. hubby too can not understand that i have this huge mess as i had "promised" not to buy any more yarn ahem well i had my fingers crossed so it did not count., but ya all would be proud of me , yesterday went through the aisle of walmart and did not buy one single skein of yarn, not one, course i did somehow manage to acquire 3 skeins of hobby lobby yummy yarn my dear friend fran sent me so does that count? cause if it does toooo darn bad, i too think i shall make something like your vent ghan, what a smart way to use your extra yarns. in the last year i have given away to the nuns here about 28 large lawn and leaf bags stuffed full of yarn, but it was a good thing cause they made alot of stuff for charity with it. i refuse to just give yarn to good will or some place lie that. no way at least i got a warm cozy feeling knowing that someone was warm from my yarn. i need to do that again i think

sigh. take care and keep up the great work, your vent ghan is coming together nicely. ya know my aunt use to make those scrap ghans she called them stopped once she ran our her yarn. now they are treasure memories as she passed away a few years ago. tae care and enjoy your yarns. kids sometimes thing we need a kick in the rear , and get the ball rolling, course then it is fair play to do the same to them. my dd has a room stuffed full of beads as well so i am in craft heaven:c9 :c9 :c9 hugs sweetie and take care, can;t wait for the next posting:devil :devil :devil

Doesn't sound too bad - I thought maybe they had an intervention and took away your stash! They are just trying to be helpful, poor things. Think of how many new ways you will learn to sneak the stuff past them - good workout for the brain! LOL

Well time for my first big challenge... I'm growing weak from the stress of it all...

Ah Leah saw the posting of the tunic I made for Tara and did one of those

please please please please please please please make me one of those.

please.

I was SO HAPPY!!!! If any of you haven't noticed, she says what she feels, so if she says she likes it AND would actually wear it then that's sincere!

What could I say?:clap of COURSE!!!!! :cheer what color would you like?

so, since it is a family member asking me to make something that I don't actually have the yarn for... that means I am justified in going out to BUY the yarn for that project AND making it it counts towards my five! Oh, and she gave me three weeks to make it (hope that doesn't include shipping it to Virginia:think )

gonna throw a couple more rows on the ventgahn tonight while watching My Name is Earl - that show is so funny! And hubby is making stew tonight, so it's all good:hook !

I can't believe I'm someone's yarn hero! What an awesome responsibility!:manyheart

Paulette!

Good for you! Ah Leah comes to the rescue and you get to go yarn shopping!:cheer Good job Ah Leah:yay !

Us girls need to stick together in our time of need (or perhaps, need not):yes

Enjoy and let us all know what you bring home!

Cheers:D

OK, not understanding problem . . . too much crochet stuff? Nope, still not seeing it!

I guess I'm lucky. My DH is supportive of my crocheting and knitting for several reasons: 1) It keeps him from having to entertain me; 2) He wants me to be happy, and my hobbies are certainly no dumber than his on-line space cowboy computer games; 3) I'm making many of our Christmas gifts this year, so it saves a little money; and 4) I'm nicer to be around when I get to handle yarn.

He and my son both wanted afghans and love the ones I made. I brought home some rainbow-colored Peaches and Cream, and DH immediately wanted placemats made from them. No, my dining room decor doesn't really go with that, but hey, he requested them, so I made them, and they're sitting proudly on our table among the muted desert/southwest tones!

My mother, who quilts and does woodwork, understands the need to craft and is loving the caps and scarves she's received as gifts. My best friend requested a crocheted cap and flowers since I did the same for her 13-yr-old daughter's b-day. Dishcloths, both crocheted and knitted, have been well-received for housewarming and wedding gifts.

All this, and I'm not really doing much fancy stuff yet! Most things I've done have been very simple.

I have an afghan WIP that will have to wait until after the Christmas gift blitz is done.

Tell your DH it's a choice between zen/sanity/crocheting or you might run away from home!

You can always do what I do .... start spinning!

Now the family doesn't complain about my yarn stash .... now the raw & processed fiber stash is another subject!!!:devil

I say you tell them your stocking up for the DEPRESSION, you know, when they RATION the stuff,lol, and everyone else will be BEGGING you for your stuff, and your family will be all warm and cozy! Hey you NEVER know it COULD happen:lol

I say you tell them your stocking up for the DEPRESSION, you know, when they RATION the stuff,lol, and everyone else will be BEGGING you for your stuff, and your family will be all warm and cozy! Hey you NEVER know it COULD happen:lol

I REALLY like that idea! I will be prepared while the rest of them are bored bored bored!!!

Well, things have taken a little turn for the worse... I mentioned that I NEED Paton Lacette yarn in black (five skeins) to make the top for Ah Leah, and my husband says, "You've got to be kidding! Surely you have something that will work!"

Well, I DID search through one of the stash spots and I FOUND eight skeins of Paton Lacette in a cream color... Ah Leah wants black, so I'm going to take the yarn to Michael's and see if they'll do a straight trade - they usually will. That will be later today - it's still 8:00 a.m. her in L.A. and Michael's doesn't open until 10:00.

Next big problem: Things I had "on order" before the crocheting supply moritorium went into effect. Yesterday a package of hand-dyed yarn arrived (multiple skeins of three different selections) and one of them happened to be, lets say, not as attactive as the others... Personally, I really like it. I PICKED it! It is a celery green with variations in the color and a bit of beige in there too - sorta looks like rotting celery - oh, and eight ounces gives about 200 yards - it's VERY chunky and sorta thick and thin - this is some GREAT yarn, people! The family just doesn't appreciate the unique qualities so I took some flak for that.

Otherwise I'm sorta stuck here. Not sure what to do. I don't want to work on any of my WIPs except the ventghan and the Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along. I tried picking up the Drop Down Design cape and it just made me want to fling it across the room (again) so I put it quickly out of sight.

I saw someone searching for a pattern for a no-bead Rosary and I looked at the various links and chose the one that wasn't free ($4 E-Pattern - doesn't count) so I want to make some of those for my Hubby and a couple of my co-workers; I already have a LOT of crochet thread!

I have Shelle's Dolly and Me Shawl pattern (I know I blew the title there) and I have plenty of yarn to make some little Christmas presents...

Just feeling really distracted right now, and unmotivated. A lot of drama with my younger teens right now and it's hard to relax and crochet. I hate to sit down to crochet when I'm all stressed out because I don't want to impart any 'bad vibes' into my stitches...:devil

Again, thanks for listening! Love y'all:hug

:2hug Big hugs to you! Personally, I :idea think you need to pack up you WIP's:scrachin, load the car, and take a vacation! You definately need to unwind and chill with some tea:tea and all the other amenities one can find when taking a sebatical:candle! The teens can be hard enough on you as well as all the rest and think of all the progress you'll make on the remaining four WIPs:tup. Bounce that off everyone and let them fend for themselves for a couple of days!

I DID it!!!!:clap

I went to Michael's with my cream colored Paton's Lacette yarn (eight skeins) and traded it straight across for the black that Ah Leah chose for the tunic (the one that I made for Tara in that dark rose color) - They had to ring it up as a store credit and it was $41.31 worth of yarn! YIKES! And it happened to be on sale today!!!!! And you all would be very proud that I walked out with no 'extras':lol Now, the tunic only takes 4 or 5 skeins so I thought I'd make her a matching scarf in the same half double crochet... and maybe wrist warmers too! I hear it gets cold where she lives in Virginia...

And I guess as a reward for the good karma I generated, right when I pulled up to the house the postman was coming up with TWO packages of previously ordered stuff!!!! Some more hand-dyed yarn and a pretty wooden crochet hook! (Thank goodness I ordered lots of stuff before this moritorium went into effect!):devil

The teens both have things to do, places to go, people to see, and hubby is working around the yard and the garage, so I see some prime crochet time coming up here! Yahoo!!!!!:yay

yeaaaa for michaels, you did good girl, how much credit do ya have now hehe,. thats not like spending cash ya know. yarn sales are another story hehe, but i know its hard, i now have decided that since the holidays are coming, i really need to reclaim the dining room so will be selling some of my stash very soon watch for it in the buy/sell/trade section and it will be nice yarn :yes :yes