My Family Won't Let Me Buy Anymore Yarn, Patterns or Hooks

Paulette,

You may have started the vent-ghan out of anger, and not be too fond of it because of that, but I think it's absolutely beautiful. Very vibrant, and I'm very fond of purples so that is an extra bonus, ;). Even though you were "just grabbing scrap balls of yarn" to do it, the colors, to me anyway, seem to blend well and don't seem in the picture to be harsh changes in colors (like fushia w/ a lime green next to it and then a neon orange, ect).

Sandy :)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm lucky! A few months ago my hubby and his friends must have hit menopause because they went out and bought an old school bus! They have now turned it into a party bus for tailgating! I'm proud of it they did a great job fixing it up! But the best part is that hubby can't complain about my yarn!:hook His other hobby stuff also takes up a lot of space in the house! Such as medievel reinactment gear, huge beer glass collection, and all his various plumbing equipment! The bad part is he works so much that he rarely gets to enjoy any of it. He is very supportive of my crochet addiction!:manyheart Luckily so is the rest of the family! Even though my craft stuff is all over the house he's fine with it! I'm a stay at home mom and at least when I crochet I feel like I'm being productive! My 3 year old son is fascinated by all my yarn and pattern books! He is always looking at the pictures in the books and always has to hug all the dolls I make. I have even found him sitting with one of my hooks and some yarn pretending to crochet! :c9 I will teach him when he is just a little older, kids catch on really quick! So I feel very lucky to have such a great family!

i am very curious as to how many of you and your signifcate others agree that we are equal or if they think their hobby is more important.

My DH and I agree that our hobbies are equally important, but his definately take up more room in the house and garage. He does woodworking and beer-making. I don't keep much of a stash, otherwise I'd have too many projects started and never get any done.

Our hobby room is mostly filled with beer making supplies, computer stuff and his gun collection. I have one plastic tub filled with yarn and another by my chair with my WIP. We won't even talk about the state of the garage with power tools! In the next few years, we'll be building him a workshop in the backyard, so maybe we'll get the garage back.

In our situation it helps that we each contribute $$ to the household expenses in a separate account, but what's left is ours to do with as we please. I don't bug him about his brewing and he doesn't gripe about yarn.

I wouldn't want to change a thing about my life! They're just teasing me and hubby actually TOOK me to Michael's last weekend and this weekend to use the 50% off coupons!:cheer And with the stuff I'd already ordered coming in, and then ordering a couple e-patterns (those don't count if you pay by Paypal!) and of course Jimbo hook auctions don't count... so it's all good!

In reference to the preceding posts, I had the first of my four children at 18 and I'm in my third (last) marriage so when I am home alone I find it rather confusing:think ... I don't know what to do with myself! I try and think of the things I promised myself I'd do when I have the chance, but I end up wandering around or sitting here at the 'puter waiting for someone to come home:lol !

Like right now, the kids that are still living at home are at their dad's house for the weekend and hubby just went to the store. Now what do I do????? Shower? Print up transcripts that are overdue? Crochet? Read? Go play in my art studio? Read Crochetville posts???:devil

I am very fortunate to have a very understanding DH that never questions what I spend money on. Matter of fact he even asks me when I'm looking at sale flyers from craft stores if there is anything I can't live without on sale or if my favorite yarn is on sale.

I think he secretly loves the fact that I Crochet :hook and Knit :knit and loves helping me pick out new color combos for projects. His Mother died when he was 21 (15 years before I met him) and she was quite the knitter and crocheter. I have made sure that I have perserved the items that he still has that she made. I think it gives him comfort to sit beside me when I'm doing my needle work. He will pull the yarn from the skein for me and even wind up balls for me. He told me that he used to do this for his mother when he was a kid.

His ex-wifes idea of a good time was a drink in a bar. I'm thrilled :c9 to have a hook or needle in hand and sit beside him and watch anything on TV. Am I boring to him? I think not, we are best friends and are very content with our little world.

But Lindan it can be very nice to have someone to share with too.

Umm, maybe. I guess it's just a matter of what works for the individual, but truly, I'm never lonely and love being independent. Men take too much effort! As far as children, I taught school for 28 years, so I've had some experience with children. I love children, but that wasn't in the cards for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy December 1st, Villagers!!!!!!

Well, it's officially OVER and I'm back to amassing crochet stuff!!!!!! If you look at my sig you can see there HAS been significant progress on finishing "stuff" including the Butterfly Shawl Crochet Along - it is really pretty too... will post pics on that thread a bit later.

Had a lovely trip to Cambria where I found a LYS (local to them anyway) and scored big-time on some Colinette, some other stuff I don't know the name of and some gorgous (not yugly) silk yarns ~$$~

Also won four, yes FOUR Jimbo hooks in his last auction - and he sent me a birthday hook along with the others! How thoughtful was that? Oh, my Jimbo Hook collection is growing and is actually on display near my crochet chair.

My subscription magazines keep coming and I may have ordered a book or two on eBay:think .

So today I'm off work, going to a funeral ~ it's okay - I didn't know the person well - a neighbor's mother - going more out of respect for the family ~ and then I'm gonna get my yarn swift and ball winder and start winding this beautiful yarn into balls.... Oh, and I'm also working as fast as I can on squares for a comfortghan for the granddaughter of the lady whose funeral I'm going to (she's 12 and she's my younger daughter's best friend)

So here's a couple pics for ya:

My Crochet Throne now moved from the window area (too drafty)

cambria007.jpg

A LOT of Colinette yarn pre-selected.... about 3,000 yards:clap (I also got some on a blue/black combo but it's not very photogenic:think )

cambria053.jpg

And these are GORGEOUS yarns... really nice stuff and they match the colors of the ocean where we stayed.... just like a crohceter, huh? "No, I won't put up pictures of the beautiful ocean, I'll put up pictures of YARN!"

cambria056.jpg

First, this is a great thread! Paulette, you are my yarn hero too :)

i am very curious as to how many of you and your signifcate others agree that we are equal or if they think their hobby is more important

I'd say my bf considers me the equal or even dominant one in truth, even though I usually choose to be the supportive one.

My bf makes films and I help, so our apartment is overflowing with his equipment, props and costumes and cast members. We have separate finances, and my stash is tiny. And I make his props, costumes, etc. So even if he didn't support my craftyness (which he totally does, don't get me wrong) he really wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

However, the movies aren't his hobby, they are his real career, so we both put it first right now. I do the cooking, cleaning and laundry because it needs to get done and I want him to succeed at the movie. But if he tried to tell me it was my job to do the housework....well, let's just say it wouln't happen. I'm a better arguer, I have a temper that burns hot and long, and all our friends know that I can whoop him if need be. :devil

So there ya go...if your sig. other doesn't consider you an equal, it helps if they know you can kick their butt. And know more about fixin' stuff and cars than they do (even if you know very, very little)

My DH had the nerve or the courage to comment on something I ordered (pattern I think). Well, I just told him I was playing golf! He said I didn't NEED anymore patterns. How many sets of clubs do you have honey, and how many can you play with at a time? Nuff said. He keeps quiet now.

knit1crochet2

Love the comeback!!! See... I'd be fine if I can find a man that is happy enough knowing that I am always right and there is no point in arguing with me about anything... I WILL 'win' nomatter what it is about ;)

So glad to see you're off of restriction!!! Go wild lady!!! Enjoy all that beautiful yarn and the Jimbo hooks!!! Very cool about the bday hook too!!

But...does this mean the vent-ghan won't be worked on anymore???? :( I really would love to see how that turns out, whenever it might be finished...maybe if you tie it off now you could call it a vent-scarf instead????;)

Jessie

I've read this whole thread n it crackep me up lol :rofl my stash isn't really big (yet) but I don't think my fiance would ever make me stop crocheting/knitting or stop buying yarn so I think I'm really lucky that way :D I really love how you your house looks on the inside on the picture where you can see your chair Paulette it looks very cozy:manyheart and I love all the ocean coloured yarn you've baught and the zigzag afghan you've made!:hook

FunkyReporter, just one question... Will you adopt me? I'd never put restrictions on how much materials you have around the house and would even help you make stuff with it. :D

My hubby tried to get me to stop buying wool. This didn't work since I promptly began pulling out all his model kits, action figures and video games. When he asked me what I was doing, I told them I was going to donate them to Project Share for Christmas. Since then, he's stopped hassling me about tripping over my WIPs and even started to buy me wool to make stuff for myself when I'm getting frustrated over projects for others. Now if only he'd stop asking me what I'm making when I'm in the middle of a long chain for an afghan. Why couldn't I get a hubby that just sits around watching sports and grunts instead of my sensitive, overly talkative sweetheart?

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Auntie K...I've got one of those too....but he's done it often enough and goofed up my count and seen me have to frog the whole long chain that now he'll start to talk and then look over and see that I'm chaining and he'll just say "let me know when I won't mess you up" and actually waits for my go ahead!!!

I think it's just a matter of training the poor loves to know that if they interrupt you, they make more work for you, which could mean a less-happy honey at home...he'll get it eventually!!:D

Jessie

FunkyReporter, just one question... Will you adopt me? I'd never put restrictions on how much materials you have around the house and would even help you make stuff with it. :D

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Good news! I've cleared it with hubby and I'M ADOPTING ALL OF YOU! So everyone pack up and come live with me. Got a lot of bedrooms and we're a cozy bunch so things should work out well. I have teenagers and a hubby that like to listen to really loud music all the time. Also I talk in my sleep. Oh, and we only have two bathrooms but we do have four or five bedrooms... what else? I love watching crime shows and I put my jammies on as soon as I get home from work... so, yeah. If you can put up with that, then gather your hooks and yarn and come on over for a spell!:devil

Its too bad we live like 3000 miles away from each other...we could SOOOOO...hang out after work...We could put our jammies on...from what I understand, I WILL do the COOKING...and we could crochet till we fall asleep on our corresponding piece of furniture. Yes it would work for sure!

Great! I'll hop into my flannel jammies and be there before the crime shows start. Shelly can do all the cooking and I'll handle the baking. I think you might need to ship the hubby and teenagers off to my house so you can have room for all us Villagers.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Its too bad we live like 3000 miles away from each other...we could SOOOOO...hang out after work...We could put our jammies on...from what I understand, I WILL do the COOKING...and we could crochet till we fall asleep on our corresponding piece of furniture. Yes it would work for sure!
"I (insert name here) promise NOT to cook, no matter how much you beg for Cream of Meat I will not give in! Jammies will definitely be the official uniform and it is perfectly acceptable to fall asleep in mid-stitch as long as you dont' slump forward and impail yourself on a crochet hook! I see this working!

Great! I'll hop into my flannel jammies and be there before the crime shows start. Shelly can do all the cooking and I'll handle the baking. I think you might need to ship the hubby and teenagers off to my house so you can have room for all us Villagers.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I'm a great fan of baked goods, too, and glad you're in on the crime shows... flannel works for me!.... As far as the hubbies and teens, it just so happens my hubby is a wonderful cook, has a degree in early childhood development... and yeah. We're good on that end too!:devil

Archived