An 1890's thimble holder

kls7980

I found this at a civil war reenactment in one of their booths. The lady that made it said a woman gave her a pattern book for the 1890's that had these in them. I was just so facinated by them I had to buy one. I wanted to share with all of you because I had never seen anything like this and was wondering if anybody else had.

Document.jpg

This is the paper that was attached to it explaining the function.Document2.jpg

Very pretty! I, too, have a *similar* (but not the same) pattern in my Old-Time Crochet book. Oh if only there were 24 more hours in the day (and you could use them all to crochet!) :c9

Tina

I made something, sorta-kinda similar, out of my own necessity. Several years ago I was making chotkis (Anglican prayer ropes). They are fashioned, using a very intricate knot. In order to complete the knot you have to use something to pick through the individual strings, so I used a darning needle. Inbetween knots I would usual stick the needle behind my ear (my small crochet hooks often go their now, I am also often found with writting implaments there-when my hair was longer, and up in a ponytail or bun I would have all kinds of things in my hair-went to Wal Mart one day with two pens and a crochet hook stuck in there :loco); inevitably the needle would fall out and get lost. So I knitted a heart out of worsted weight (which was a real pain-it was the first "pattern" I had ever made-couldn't find a pattern-and if I had known how to crochet it would have been so much easier!) and crocheted a chain to go around my neck (that was the only crocheting I knew how to do at the time), I would insert the needle into the heart after each knot so I would not loose it. Recently I added several strands of yarn to the bottom of the heart, strung them through my row counter (the plastic barrel looking ones that fit over knitting needles), and fastened it off with a tassel. Now I have my needle and row counter handy. I don't ever use a thimble.

I the the colour really makes it look lovely - it doesn't look old-fashioned but the history the piece is still there and always interesting to learn :)

-- Michelle

Very pretty! Also EXTREMELY interesting to read the little paper that went with it. Amazing to think of a time when thimbles and needles were so scarce and valuable! Thanks for sharing!

That is great - my step mom collects thimbles, I may have to attempt a copy too!

It always amazes me that things we take for granted now were considered so valuable once (pie safes, etc.)

Somewhere in all my patterns I have a pattern for a thimble holder that was worked over the wishbone of a chicken. It was both unique and quite pretty. They were much more practical than we are and using the wishbone didn't bother them in the least. I have always meant to make myself one but I rarely use a thimble so it isn't high on my to do list.

Archived