An 1890's thimble holder

kls7980

i cant thank you enough for posting this picture. i was able to take it and make one for myself... my godmother collects thimbles and i am going to give her one for Christmas and make several more for others as tree ornaments. i have made 3 so far out of differnt colors and they are just wonderful. thanks again.

How very pretty. I've never heard of a thimble holder. It figures that the victorians would think up such a thing. Amazing. I have to find a pattern for one of these, my SIL collects thimbles and this would be perfect to go with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Do you have a pattern to share?

its_ace

I found this at a civil war reenactment in one of their booths. The lady that made it said a woman gave her a pattern book for the 1890's that had these in them. I was just so facinated by them I had to buy one. I wanted to share with all of you because I had never seen anything like this and was wondering if anybody else had.

Document.jpg

This is the paper that was attached to it explaining the function.Document2.jpg

Pretty fancy for a thimble holder!! What a unique idea!! The variegated color is really nice!! Cool history about it too!!

This is an amazing post! My great aunt died last year, and as we went through some of her things I found a wonderful old crochet hook that I treasure, I also found a little crocheted broach and had no clue what it actually was used for until now. I will have to post a pic of it, but this makes me treasure it even more. I really beleive it is a thimble holder too.

Archived