Kitchen Witch Doll Pattern

crochetsal

Kitchen Witch (edited to add: she is app. 10" tall)

Sally Ives/September 2006kitchenwitch.jpg

Materials:

**worsted weight yarn: app. 1 ½ oz dress colour (B), small amounts of skin (A), burgundy and white (dress trim and apron–C & D) and hair colour

**crochet hook size F (3.75mm)

**polyester stuffing

**2 small ‘E’ beads for eyes (or, use puff paint, embroider or use beads/buttons as desired)

Notes:

Start rounds of dc with ch3, counts as first dc.

When joining rounds or working in rows, begin rounds/rows of sc with ch1, does not count as first st, sc in same st to begin.

To start at top of head, with A:

(Do not join rounds, place marker at beginning of each round)

Rnd 1: ch2, 7sc in 2nd ch from hook.

Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (14)

Rnd 3: (2sc in 1 st, sc in next) around. (21)

Rnd 4-7: Sc around.

Rnd 8: Dec around, sc in last st. (11) Stuff firmly.

Rnd 9: Sc around, FO colour A.

Rnd 10: Join B in any st at back. (Sc in 1 st, 2sc in next) around. Sc in last st. (16)

Rnd 11: (2sc in 1 st, sc in next) around. (24)

Rnd 12-17: Sc around.

Rnd 18: In blps this round only, sc around.

Rnd 19: (sc in 2 sts, dec) around. (18)

Rnd 20: (sc in 1 st, dec) around. 912)

Stuff firmly.

Rnd 21: Dec around. (6) FO, leaving long end. Weave end in and out of sts of rnd 21, pull tightly to close and fasten securely.

Skirt (rounds are joined with sl st in top of first st): Join B at back in any unworked loop of rnd 17 with sl st. 2dc in each st around. (48)

Rnd 2: (2dc in 1 st, dc in next) around. (72)

Rnd 3-5: Dc around.

Rnd 6: (sc, ch1) in each st around. Join with sl st in top of 1st sc. FO.

Legs (rounds are joined with sl st in top of first st): (make 2)

With B, ch2. 5sc in 2nd ch from hook.

Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (10)

Rnd 3-4: Sc around.

Rnd 5: (sc in 3 sts, dec) twice. (8)

Rnd 6&7: Sc around, FO, stuff firmly. Continue stuffing every few rounds as you go.

Round 8: Join C at back. Sc around.

Rnd 9: Sc around. FO.

Rnd 10: Join D at back with sl st. Sc around.d

Rnd 11: Repeat rnd 9.

Rnd 12-17: Repeat rnds 8-11.

Rnd 18: Join D at back. Sc around.

Rnd 19&20: Sc around. FO, leaving long end for sewing. Using long end, attach leg to bottom of body. Repeat for 2nd leg.

Arms: Make 2

Row 1: With grey, ch15. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across. (14) Turn.

Row 2-5: Sc across. FO.

Row 6: Join A in 1st row end at one end of rectangle. Work 6sc evenly across row ends. (6) Turn.

Row 7: sc across.

Row 8: Dec across. (3) FO.

Sew long edge together, matching colours. Attach to side of body at app rnds 12-13. Repeat for 2nd arm.

Hat: With B, ch26. Join, sc in each ch around. (26)

Rnd 2-3: Sc around, decreasing 4 sts evenly spaced. (22, 18)

Rnd 4-9: Sc around, decreasing 2 sts evenly spaced each round. (6 at end of rnd 9) FO, leaving 6" tail. Weave tail in and out of last round, pull tightly to close and fasten securely.

Brim:

Join B at back on opposite side of starting ch. Work 2dc in each st around, FO. (52)

Hair:

Cut 18 12" strands of hair colour. Centre on top of head side to side, sew seam from front to back along centre part, securing strands to head. Divide each side into 3, and braid.

Make a fringe around posts of 5 sts at forehead: cut 5 4" pieces of hair colour. Insert hook around post of stitch, catch centre of 4" piece, pull partway through. YO with tails of piece, pull through loop to tighten.

Separate plies of hair, trim to desired length.

Apron:

With D, ch7. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and across.

Rows 2-4: Sc across.

At end of row 4, do not turn. Ch1. (Sc, ch2) twice in each of 1st 3 row ends down side. (Sc, ch2, sc) in last row end. Ch1, sc in opposite side of starting ch in 6 sts. Ch1. Sk 1st row end. (Sc, ch2) twice in next 3 row ends, (sc, ch2, sc) in last row end. Ch15, FO.

Join D in ch1 at other end of row 4. Ch15, FO.

Apron Skirt:

With D, ch4. Sc along bottom 6 sts of apron bib. Ch6, turn.

Row 2: Dc in 4th ch from hook. 2dc in each of next 2 chs. 2dc in each of next 6 sts and in next 2 chs. Dc in last 2 chs. (24dc)

Row 3: Dc in 1st 2 sts. (2dc in 1 st, dc in next) across to last 3 sts. 2dc in next st, dc in last 3. (33)

Row 4: Dc across.

Row 5: (sc, ch1) in each st across to last st. Sc in last st. FO.

Finishing:

Attach eyes to face where desired.

Sew hat to head, tilted back to cover back of head.

Place apron on doll, tie ends of bib chains tog around neck, tie ends of apron skirt around waist. If desired, Also tack apron in place.

Sally

If you should encounter any typos, or have a question, please do not hesitate to email me. This pattern is not to be sold or re-distributed in any way, free or for sale, either on its own or in kit form. You may make several items to sell at craft bazaars for profit. A mention of my name and website (www.crochetsal.com) would be nice, but is not necessary.

ooooooooooooo I love her! I've been dying to find a kitchen witch pattern. She's the sweetest thing! Thank you for sharing her!

I am so tempted to try a Pippi doll from this great pattern. I think it's the red pigtails.

this should be fun to work up- I need a doll pattern to dress in pink for a Christmas present. Thank you for sharing.

I wanted to say thank you for the comments on my doll! I had someone on another crochet list say she wanted to make the doll, but might make it a fairy, and now I think I'd like to make one (or maybe more) in 'woodland' fairy colours!

I'm hoping to come up with a superhero doll soon, the idea's been running around in my head for almost a year now.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived