How much do you spend on patterns each month?

Amy

How much do you spend on patterns each month?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on patterns each month?

• $0-$10
    • $11-$20
    • $21-$30
    • $30-$50
    • $50-$75
    • $75-$100
    • More than $100

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get most of my patterns online for free. I actually just doubled the number of pattern books I own this past month, I bought 3! I have two or three books of pattern stitches, a book of bags, a book of book marks and a book of squares. I just got a vest pattern, a pattern book of Christmas stockings and some teddy bear clothes patterns. Every thing else I have as far as patterns go, I've got for free offline or created myself. I haven't really looked for mags, I keep feeling like I should, but I just haven't.

I buy lots of patterns if I can find them, I search ebay for crochet mags, and also good will, etc. I like doily and tablecloth, thread patterns and they are hard to find so if I see them I buy. I do make up my own patterns allot or just change around the original, but I like to use a little from that one and a little from this one, so I like to look at patterns.....

• 2 months later...

I remember when I discovered that crochet patterns were for sale on ebay I spent hundreds of dollars to get them all. I have shelves full of books and magazines now, but I still buy the new magazines each month, and look at all the books. I can't walk into a bookstore without spending money (I was a lit major, too). I've limited myself recently, but I will spring for the new crochetme book when it comes out.

I like to buy books (check out used bookstores, I've found some great ones there!) and the occasional magazine, but I can go months without buying either. There are so many free patterns online and on yarn labels!

I don't spend as much on patterns as I used to because when we got a

computer I found so many sites that offer free patterns. I have more patterns than I could do in a lifetime, so I try to refrain myself from buying!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I find alot on line for free, in fact most of my patterns are print outs. But a few books I must have are mostly stitch books or squares/afghans. I also buy when I want to learn a new method, or how to efficiently use a new type of yarn. I am also discovering that I often start a project from a pattern and then go off on my own, because I don't like how it looks, or feels when done the way the pattern requires.

I also get frustrated when I can't find a pattern for what I want, so I will create my own.

I spend very little on patterns, I marked the least amount available to account for my magazine subscriptions. I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a HUGE box of patterns, magazines and periodicals someone was divesting from their craftroom via Freecycle a few years back. I'll never NEED to buy another pattern again. OF course I keep looking.. LOL.. but I don't need. :)

not too much I enjoy searching for free patterns. I also like the single patterns 2-3 dollars isn't too bad for something I really want to make. I hardly buy books unless there are a lot of things I want to make in it.

• 1 month later...

I'll buy magazines when I find them (they are somewhat rare around here in Utah), and pattern books in stores maybe every other month, but lately I've found quite a few nice on-line patterns.

I have a few magazine holders that are full to the brim with older magazines (Crochet With Heart, Herresschners...).

I just bought my last 'expensive' pattern from ebay:clap, and Im hoping that I can now concentrate on :hookMAKING :crochetingwhat I bought.:yes

wheeeeeeeee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought patterns back in the 70's but now the internet has so many that are free that I use them and if they're not exactly what I want, I can modify them. A lot of my latest patterns have come from the wonderful people here at the Ville that share. Thanks!

~ Debby

I find so many free patterns on the web that I don't often buy one, but I have bought books of patterns, and I subscribe to a couple of magazines. At this point, I have about a million that I will never get around to making.

Like many of the rest of you I rarely buy patterns when I use one at all - I get most of mine from the internet, (here and elsewhere) but mostly I just make up my own. While I know how to read a pattern I'd usually rather not bother. I do check out a *lot* of crocheting/knitting books from the library (hence I only have 2 of my own) and I recently subscribed to a crocheting magazine. I use all of these for inspiration and to learn knew stitches and ways to use them. For instance, just yesterday I heard about the Van Gough(?) method... will be using that for a shawl I'll soon start. So thank you all for helping me with my various projects, it's much appreciated.

the only patterns I have ever bought are in the Crochet Stich Bible, but even that I got half off with a cupon at JoAnne's. I taught myself out of that book and a friend is currently borrowing it for the same reason. Otherwise I just find what I like online and print it out at school to help use up my lab fee.:devil I already pay for using the printers and I only use color if you can't see the pic in b&w. And I play with the patterns to make my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Hm...I love to find free patterns online I have folders full. But years ago my son and I were in a bad relationship [well, I was but my son was there too] and we had to leave in the middle of the night. I lost everything but saved my son and I so it was worth it of course. All our stuff was in storage before we left [long story] and in my ex's name. So I couldn't even go get my things. I lost all my patterns but believe it or not I found most of my plastic canvas patterns at a yard sale but all the crochet patterns were lost. Lately money has been a little less tight so I've been going on ebay to find replacements on the ones I remember I had. I also buy some from people on etsy too.

Archived