barbie questions

Which clothes are you talking about? I crochet clothes for Barbie, but they are the historical dresses by Paradise. I display them in a curio cabinet.

There's something I don't understand.

Why do some people like to crochet clothes for barbie dolls?

Also, why barbie rather than some other doll?

Thanks

I swore I would never start making clothes (sewing, crocheting, knitting or otherwise) for Barbie, even though I'm a lifelong Barbie fan (we are the same age.) But there was a crochet a long a while ago to make a simple Barbie dress and I gave it a shot. I had fun.

I make clothes for other dolls for children from time to time...but regarding Barbie, well she was one of the original "fashion" dolls. So why not?

I do have a pattern to make Princess Di's blue dress that she wore to the White House and dance with John Travolta...it's make for a Barbie-sized doll. I've worked on a practise version of the dress in another color to see how the pattern works...eventually I'll make the dress down the road in blue.

Now if you're talking about the doll pattern a month club Barbies with the ornate dresses that seem to mimic Scarlette O'Hara...while they are pretty, they are just not my style...

Past that...I don't have an answer for you.

There are patterns for other dolls as well. There are outfits for the old fashioned baby doll in different sizes, and the American Girl Dolls (18 inches) that are just great.

I made a lot of outfits for American Girl Dolls when DD was into them. The outfits were original, and less expensive to make. She had some jealous friends because their moms couldn't afford a lot of clothes for the AGD's and they didn't know how to make them either.

I made her friends outfits also. And also my nieces. They were a big hit.

I never really tried Barbie type dresses. Too small to deal with.

Linda:manyheart

i grew up poor and all of my "barbies" (actually the one you got at the dime store) had all crochet or knitted clothes. i still have many and my nana (who made the originals) even made me a whole set of different outfits to keep for my own children/grandchildren. hen mattel went and changed barbie...suckers

i grew up poor and all of my "barbies" (actually the one you got at the dime store) had all crochet or knitted clothes. i still have many and my nana (who made the originals) even made me a whole set of different outfits to keep for my own children/grandchildren. hen mattel went and changed barbie...suckers

Mattel changed Barbie?

I didn't crochet when my daughters were small, but I sewed a lot of American Girl clothes because they were so much cheaper. I occasionally did something for Barbies, too, if they wanted something I couldn't find. My sister made my kids an elaborate plastic canvas bedroom suite for the Barbies, too, just because she thought it was so beautiful.

I bought the Barbie crochet book of patterns - lots of nice stuff in them. Figured I would be able to make clothes for a little niece (if I ever have one) for her dolls. All my friends have boys! The crocheted clothes look so much nicer than the store bought I think.

My grandmother taught me how to crochet and my first real project I ever made was barbie clothes, then I made them for my daughter, and now I make them for my granddaughters. I guess for me it brings back memories of my youth.

I haven't made anything yet however I do plan to.

My reasons are plain and simple: I do not like most other dolls. I think most are ugly and I just don't collect any other but Barbie.

My daughter does have two Disney Babies, a Dora adventure dress up doll, and a Bitty Baby. Oh and several Disney Princess "Barbie" like dolls. Newer ones that are very cute.

I will make them things but that's as much for her as it is for me.

Just wonderin, why does it matter?

A lot of us make the Barbie dresses that are for display only. I have them on my table every month for the holiday in that month.

The Paradise patterns are very intricate and very beautiful. They bring back a time we can only read about.

I have made other dresses for dolls, but the barbie are my favorite. :hook

yes a couple years back they made barbie "Politically Correct" :( (read: less boobs and hips and a larger waist) i guess womens liberation can fight anything even a 60 yr old doll.

You know, I have Barbies from the 60's on up to present day and I don't recall a body change whatsoever...the bodies seem the same to me...the vintage clothes fit the same on the newer dolls...I subscribed for years to Barbie Bazaar magazine and never once saw an article on this.

However, depending on the doll, sometimes their feet and arms were different, depending on the theme of the doll (like Rollar Skating Barbie for example...)

I do it for cost and durability. My sister bought my DD a Snow White doll from The Disney Store for eighteen dollars and the bodice on the dress ripped after four days. Crocheted clothing can be abused and washed over and over without falling apart. I am debating whether or not to buy a Big Bratz Baby I think that making clothes for them would very easy and a whole lot cuter than what they wear right now.

They added and changed one Barbie line, My Scene. She is a bit different.

Most other Barbies are still the same.

Okay, you're right, the My Scene dolls...I forgot about them...

I have never made Barbie clothes, but my gramma crocheted OODLEs of them for me when I was a child.

I have a boy, or I'm sure I'd be making them too.

:(

• 4 weeks later...

Barbie clothes(when available) are an atrocious price, and, usually, for a particular outfit you have to buy the entire package (with the doll as well), here in India.

Also, little girls have very specific ideas regarding what they want their barbies to wear, and aunts have to oblige.

I have made several Barbie dresses, one for each holiday actually. If you go to this link http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17869&highlight=barbie+dresses (I hope it works), this is just one that I did. And now that I have a grand-daughter on the way, I guess she'll be the one that gets them:manyheart I may have to post pics of the rest of my dresses I made at some point, but this one is by far my favorite.

I bought the crochet for Barbie book and gave it away..the clothes were wonderful but alas my DGD play with other dolls. People have had Barbies for almost 50 years and crocheted clothing does hold up much better. Those of us that remember when she first came out probably crochet more intricate outfits to help us stay young.

My mother crocheted and sewed a bunch of outfits for my barbies and other dolls. she even made a plastic canvas bed room set for both my sisiter and I. I still have most of what she made in a tub in the closet. My niece will probably get them soon.

I used to crochet a TON of Barbie clothes for my niece and my ex-boyfriend's 2 nieces when they were "into" Barbie (My niece is now 18 and my ex-boyfrined's nieces are now 17 and 16). They used to love the crocheted clothes because they were a lot easier to get on then the store bought ones.

Now I have a niece that will be a year old in October, so when she is old enough, I will crochet bags full of Barbie clothes for her.

My Mom made a few dresses for my 4 yo. I have to say, they have held up very well to my 1 1/2 yo. She really enjoys pulling them off the dolls and attempting to put them back on. Now that's a testament to crochet.

Barbie has changed a little. I have clothes that my grandmother sewed for my mother, and clothes that my mother sewed for me. Just a few of the gowns have trouble closing at the waist and then depends on the Barbie. Not all Barbies have the same measurements these days it seems. Some fit the clothes and some don't.

I think that part of it has to do with what the child plays with, Barbies or a Cabbage Patch doll. I loved my Barbies when I was younger and loved getting clothes made for them from my Aunt and Grandma. In fact I occasionally receive a dress crocheted for Barbie from my Aunt (when I find a cool pattern), although now they sit on the book shelf and look pretty. These items are meant to be treasured whoever they are made for.

Archived