Interweave's Seaside Espadrilles

Her

Ok, I'm too lazy to adjust the size of my photo, repost it to my blog and then add it in here. But definitely come and check out my new sandals. They are divine! I don't want to take them off! :manyheart

The jute is a little smelly! Maybe the foot/jute smells will cancel each other out! The jute is a wee bit scratchy, but not that bad, actually. I find them quite comfortable. I love wearing them about the house and in my back yard, even.

It's great to hear that people are experimenting with different materials rather than the ones listed. I love when a pattern inspires individual creativity.

I bought my Jute at Walmart. The 53 m centre pull ball was approx. $1.43. Somewhere in that range, anyway. The sandals for me, came in at under $4! I plan to check Home Hardware and maybe Canadian Tire if I can get out that way this week. I would like to try other jutes and materials too. I'll keep you up to date as I go. What a fun project!

Very cool! I had picked up the magazine and considered these, but I was too afraid that walking on them would be uncomfortable. So glad to hear that you love yours!

Surprisingly enough, they are super-comfortable. I'm going to make some for my niece.

Great shoes! I love the color you chose for the uppers. Thanks for the write up too; really nice write-up. :)

I'm working on a pair too! So far, the one I have done is pretty comfy. (Well, except that the jute I bought is kind of stinky. Good thing they're going on my feet anyway, I guess.)

I want to make those, but wondered if they would be comfortable. Glad to hear they are. Thanks for sharing! Yours look great!

Oooh, those are awesome!!! I really want to make some for myself but I'm wondering how they feel. They look really scratchy, are they??? P.S. Where can you buy the material for the soles? I've heard it's not avail as easily as listed in the mag. THANKS!

Thanks for the great review! I was wondering about making those. I have crocheted a wreath once with jute and remember how bad it smelled! But, it's sturdy - those wreaths are about 15 years old and look just brand new.

I hope mine turn out as cute as yours did!

I made a pair of those yesterday! I just went ahead & used Wool-Ease Thick & Quick for the soles, and W-E Chunky for the tops. I made the med. size, but they turned out too small, so I'm going to give those to my 8 yr. old GD and make me another pair. They're very quick to make! I plan to buy some jute next time I'm out. I've seen it at Walmart in the craft section.

I think I remember reading a post where you stated that you were anxious to get started on these. I'm glad to see that they came out so well since I want to make a pair for myself. Thanks for the great photo and the review on your blog. :)

Hey there everyone! I bought my jute at Walmart in the hardware dept. The aisle marker read "Cord". Each ball of 53 m was $1.43 or something really close to that. A pair of sandals for less than $4! and they are so pretty to look at!

Jute doesn't smell fantastic, but I think once it's "out and about" it'll probably smell a bit better! Think of it as an "earthy" smell. lol They are astoundingly comfortable. I love them tremendously. I'm definitely going to make more. I'm also going to experiment with different types of jute.

thanks for all of your replies! It's so exciting to come in and read them all :)

I need to stop reading these "show and tells" because everyone's projects are so wonderful I want to try them all!

Her, your sandals look fabulous and you did such a great job of describing them.

Now where did I put my new Interweave magazine?

Archived