I Can't seem to stop!!! My Newest Doily Design

Katchkan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments You are always way too kind.

Well it's unanimous that everyone sees wheat. So it is offically my Harvest Dance Doily . I guess if I want feathers it is back to the drawing board. :lol

sparkles said :flowerDon't you ever SLEEP, Lady?? How long do these things take you? You must be really fast, or else you had a whole bunch almost finished and are finally getting them done??

I see wheat, too.

Yes I really do sleep. I actually don't consider myself all that fast, just focused. Marv says stuborn workaholic. But I think focused sounds nicer.

Beautiful.

Just wanted to express my admiration and ask if there is an easier way to crochet doilies. I love doilies, but my eyes feel so strained. Is it my age, the way I sit, my glasses, my technique, where I'm crocheting, what I instruments I am using. You make it seem so simple. It takes me forever, and those tiny, tiny stitches get me a little anxious. But I am going to try to make a doily, or a filet pattern, someday. Should I use a magnifying glass?

I've been crocheting doilies for more years than I'd like to admit (not the calibur of Kathy's :nworthy ) and I too suffer from old, tired eyes. Expedited by too many doilies?:think

Anyway, I can't stress enough the importance of a really GOOD lamp, and a comfortable chair - one that you have plenty of room for your elbows, and a thread container or holder. Also, if you are new at doilies, make a few photo copies of the pattern and don't be shy about marking up the instructions to keep your place. I used to do that way back. Also, when you're new at the art, don't put down your project for too long, or you may become lost.

Most of all, don't be afraid to try. Crocheting with thread is exactly the same as with yarn and with good lighting it's really not as bad on the eyes as you would think. Try it if you dare. But keep in mind, there is something about thread crochet that is highly addictive. Once you start, you can't stop.

gosh another work of art. :c9 your talent seems to be endless!

i vote for the harvest dance too. can definitely see the wheat design.

Beautiful.

Just wanted to express my admiration and ask if there is an easier way to crochet doilies. I love doilies, but my eyes feel so strained. Is it my age, the way I sit, my glasses, my technique, where I'm crocheting, what I instruments I am using. You make it seem so simple. It takes me forever, and those tiny, tiny stitches get me a little anxious. But I am going to try to make a doily, or a filet pattern, someday. Should I use a magnifying glass?

I am very far sighted myself. But I rarely get eye strain. What I do is make sure that I have great lighting. Not only bright enough but that it shines on my work so I don't have shadows. I actuallly have two lamps one is a daylight lamp that gives the more natural type light. One on each side of my chair. Just slightly ahead of me so the lighting isn't coming down over my shoulder. I am not afraid either to take off my glasses and hold the work close for any tricky or tight stitches. I don't work that way all the time but there are moments when that is the best way to get what I need done. Less strain than trying to do the stitch at the normal distance.

I have bifocals, One thing to have checked is the distance they have your bifocal set for. I had them shorten mine up from the normal. That made a big difference. Most are set for 16 inches. I had mine set for the distance that I am actually working at.

You may also want to work with white or cream thread to begin with. It is easier to see what your are doing than the colored threads. Avoid dark colors till you are more comfortable working with thread.

Try a size 10 thread with a size 5 or 6 hook to begin with, the little larger hook may help you keep from working too tight. Just don't go to large or you defeat yourself. The right size hook to the right size thread. It becomes even more difficult to do the stitches if the hook is to large and you tension is tight.

Pick a simple design the first time. Just relax and enjoy the process. It's supposed to be entertainment. Right????

I'm late in expressing my opinion.. but just silly enough to think mine matters! :D I am gonna vote for Harvest Dance as well. I immediately saw the wheat!

Hmm.... I wonder what it would look like done in a harvest-y color? :think

Anyway.. your creation is beautiful! I am in awe of your talent. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have run out of superlatives. It is beauty itself.

Gran, you took the words right outta my mouth! I'm almost speachless :lol

Kathy, Harvest Dance is my vote!

You know Kathy, I keep thinking each time I see one of your latest creations, "she can't possibly top this!", and then the next one comes along and proves me wrong!!! You are a true maestro with the thread, gal! Wow! This is just too beautiful for words! :manyheart

I see wheat! I am so an admirer of your work. I just started to use size 10 thread and can truely appreciate your gift! I love this one! Thanks for sharing.

I agree .. harvest wheat .. that doily is absolutely gorgeous and would love to know when a pattern is available .. would make a lovely beltane altar cloth

Archived