Hard Lesson Learned

TX CrochetLover

Well, I hate to admit I have wasted about a week's worth of work. I started to make a lovely pineapple doily, which I am about 1/2 way through. The problem is something dumb I did. I substituted size 10 for size 30 which the pattern called for. Needless to say, it doesn't look right and if I continue on to finish it, the danged thing will be waaaay to big and won't look as awesome as the pic for the pattern. I should know better, but since I have not used size 30

for anything, I figured, what the heck, it won't matter that much! WRONG!!!!:oops:thair

So, now I either frog it, stop where I am and just edge it, or hide it in a drawer and forget about it! And go buy some 30 thread, like the pattern calls for! Below is a link to the pattern. It is really pretty.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/LargePine.html

I am thread challenged and when I tested a doily pattern for Katchkan I used size 10 thread and a larger hook than called for as it was the best I could work with. My doily did end up being rather large, but it's nice and fits on my dining room table nicely.

Since you are 1/2 way through, I would finish the way you started and use it for a nice "doily" for your table!

So Sorry to hear your fustration. But I think that doily would be well worth doing in the size 30 thread. I personally love the look of the finer threads. I think If it was me, I would figure out a good place to end it off, Edge it then go get some size 30 thread. You have worked too hard to waste it and surely someone would love it. Then make the doily you envisioned. This is just what I would do.

Ya, know, depending on how big it is it might not be a total loss. I saw a pattern recently for a shawl type thing ~ a round shawl that looked like a doily pattern - it sounds strange but it was really cute! I wouldn't frog it or designate it as a UFO until you've exhausted all alternatives! I bet if you put a picture up someone will come up with some fantastic use for it... sometimes we are our own worst critic, and just because it doesn't look like what you set out to make... well... ya never know!

It would be a nice centerpiece for a large table. Or you could mat it and hang it on the wall.

Well, that was my original intention-- to make a centerpiece for my dining table. It will look like the pattern, but like a tiger next to a tabby, it's not quite the same! I will take a pic to show you what I mean after I block it, then wait for my hubbie to tutor me on what to do after I take the digital pic! So the idea of finding a stopping point and edging and finishing off sounds pretty good right now. I will order some 30 thread, probably online, cause it is a french rose and I know my Joanns or HL don't stock that size in colors. Thanks for your commiseration! and help!

maybe if you finish it you could put it on one of those little round tables? if you had a place to put such a table.

i would hate to see you frog it.

and then you could do it in 30

I was going to suggest the same thing. Rounds tables are great too, put a cloth over it and you have more hiding stash space. The pattern is beautiful and would love lovely over a small round table.

maybe if you finish it you could put it on one of those little round tables? if you had a place to put such a table.

i would hate to see you frog it.

and then you could do it in 30

I certainly wouldnt frog it. You've worked too hard. Find a ending place and end it or finish it and use it for a table cover. We can help you pick out an edging if you need it and then use that puppy! I think you chose a beautiful pattern that would be gorgeous in any size thread. Good Luck and DONT FRAG!:D:clap

I agree with the "battle on" bunch. It would make a lovely table topper for a round table, especially if used over a floor length floral tablecloth featuring the same pink as your crochet thread.

Then again, I also agree with the Size 30 adherents. This doily will look exceptional in a fine thread.

Hang it - do both!!

I would go ahead and finish it in the size 10. Who knows...something/someone will come up that will be perfect for it. It may even be that it will be used as a gift to someone that would be perfect for them. Then, also make it in size 30. Most of the time, my doilies are made in size 30. I am on a pinwheel now that, blessed be (since I can see the thread) calls for size 10.

I would go ahead and finish it, that is if you have enough thread. Depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet, I would say you will have a approximately twice the size of the original size. The regular pattern is 18", so with the size 10 thread, it will turn turn into something like 36" to 40" inches.

I started crocheting with white thread when I was younger. Mainly because I was making a tablecloth and couldn't afford the thread all at once. So I would buy a couple balls, get that worked up and then go buy two more. It would take me about a week to crochet up a ball of thread. It wasn't something that I thought I could drag out for too long of time.

I think the final edges would really be pretty. Mary

Oh I have to say that is just beautiful. I wouldnt mind if it is larger. I like my doilies bigger that is why some times I use the larger size in thread. I like them to cover the whole center of a end table or big enough to set a big center piece on my dining room table. I would keep going with it. You can even use it on one of them little round tables that you set here and there and put the glass over it.

They work everywhere to display things. I hope you dont give up and keep going.:hug

I also did this same one in a size 10 and I did not have enough thred to finish the 3 points but it did turn out very well-it was my first. I have it on my dinning room table.The table is round so it looks verry good there. I think you should finish it---it will look great. Mine is about 33in. I like it alot.:cheer

Hey there, Thanks for all the good ideas! What I did was steamed it just to get an idea of the size it is now, and imagine the finished size. It looked a lot better once I got it all laid out. I started another doily out of Annie's Attic Easy One Day Doilies called Blue Hearts. I usually don't have UFO's cause I kinda have that " I must finish before I start another mentality ", but since I was frustrated with the pink thing, I thought an easy, quicker pattern might give me the courage to finish the pineapple pattern. Of course a one day doily to the publisher is about a 5 or 6 day doily for me!

My husband showed me how to work the camera and computer part, so now I have to figure out whether to blog to show my pics or just something like photobucket. I am on a slow learning curve when it comes to technology! LOL But once I get it together I will show the UFO to get ya'lls opinion.

OK, here's the pic, I didn't block it out, just pressed it.

th_Mvc-001f.jpg

Hi there,

Took another look at the pic, kinda in a different perspective (not too bad) , so after I finish it, which will be after I finish the Blue Hearts, I will post the final result. Of course I will measure it so ya'll know how big it turned out! Thanks for your help! :manyheart

i would finish it and donate it to someone that would really appreciate it. We all have friends that are more challenged in certain areas and someone that might not tackle it themselves would love to receive something beautiful from a friend.

i donate those things that I make to the local women's shelter as we all need a pick me up sometimes.

Oh my, that's gorgeous right now, just as it is! I too haven't looked at the pattern yet (that's next), but whether you stop now or go on to finish it, you have a lovely item worth showing off on your hands! So glad you were able to tackle the technical challenges to post that pic for us. :cheer

Archived