200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Hi Stephanie and Nora! Welcome to the CAL!

I used worsted weight for all my squares. They definitely came out bigger than Jan Eaton's squares, but it would have been way too expensive for me to buy DK to make an afghan.

I don't worry too much about gauge. However, I did notice that whenever I made a square that was all one stitch and not a granny-style, it would come out much bigger if I followed the directions to the stitch. I would have to make a shorter foundation chain. It was a pain, so I didn't make any stitch-only squares.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could someone share how much yarn they needed to make their afghans to give me an idea how much I will need. It would also be good to know how many blocks you used too.

I'm planning to make a small throw for my first project, something 4 squares X 5 squares using ww yarn. I'm leaning toward using TLC Essentials but I might use Plymouth Encore just 'cause it comes in such a great range of colors. I'll likely use a 3 color scheme maybe 4

TIA

Samantha,

What size squares are you thinking about? I recently made 12 inch squares for a 3x4 throw and used around 7 skeins of Simply Soft, to give you an idea.

For my 200 Blocks afghan I bought around 10 skeins of Red Heart SS, but I used five colors (or was it six?). I didn't use up all of the skeins, so maybe closer to eight. But this was a generously sized twin afghan.

Thanks Twinnish for your tips. I'm definitely making an afghan from the 200 blocks book,

I decided to work a few samples with the colors I have around but I just might might stick with these.

357131813_7f337963e7_m.jpg

I messed up on one of the rounds in the centered square pattern so it seems bigger than the others. I figure that when done correctly it shouldn't be too big.

Now I just need to figure how big I want the afghan to be and how to arrange the blocks.

Whoa, are those Simply Soft Brites you're using? I like it!

Anyway you could frog a row off the outside of that too big square? I've been known to do something like that! Those top two are two of my faves from the book. I love Willow!

I used red heart super saver. Although, I am not sure on the dark pinkish one. That I might have picked up at the thrift store some time back and who knows if I can find that color again. I plan to get more yarn soon so we shall see.

The hardest part is seeing how to use the squares. I might have to make several then start experimenting with layouts:think

Samantha, you squares are looking great! :D

I have a question...somewhere near the beginning of this thread (around page 8 or so) someone made a button for this CAL...however the button isn't there anymore...my question is, does anyone still have the button or has anyone made any different button(s) for blogs for this CAL?

Thanks Kiki :)

I went to HL yesterday and wasn't able to find the pinky red color. So I picked out some different colors. I decided to ditch the blue. I was surprised how well it worked in the end I decided I did like it much. I'll take some pics and show off what I have done so far soon.

I have a question about the Tricolor Square on p51 of my book. When you work into the ch3 on the second round what do you do with the ch5s? Do you crochet over them? Do you crochet in front of them? I'm finding that the ch3 in round2 is peeking through a bit and it doesn't look like that happens in the picture of the square.

I have a question about the Tricolor Square on p51 of my book. When you work into the ch3 on the second round what do you do with the ch5s? Do you crochet over them? Do you crochet in front of them? I'm finding that the ch3 in round2 is peeking through a bit and it doesn't look like that happens in the picture of the square.

Since my husband wiped out the computer last night and reinstalled some stuff, I don't have a pdf reader to pull up the errata list for the book. But here's the link:

http://www.interweave.com/knit/books/be_200crochetblocks.asp

I made this square for my son's afghan. When I go to wake him up this morning, I'll take a look at it and see if I can help you. Just to make sure I'm clear, you're talking about working on Round 3, when you are (3 tr, ch1, 3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr, ch1, 3 tr) into the ch 3 sp, correct? My initial thought is to work over them, but I'll go take a look and get back to you sometime today.

And, I don't know what happened to the button. If anyone wants to make a new one, that would be fine with me!

OK, I looked at the square. It looks like you bypass the ch-5. The ch-5 looks almost like another tr. Just skip over it and work in the ch-3. I hope that's helpful.

If you look at the picture in post #220, the ch-5 looks like a fat edge to the Round 1 & 2 petal, if you know what I mean. It blends in.

Let us know how you make out with it. Posting a pic would be nice, hint, hint!

Here's what the back of my Tricolor Square looks like

365998492_76f7725aac_m.jpg

If I understand you right. I should be crocheting over a part of the Ch5 from r2? One problem I seem to be having with this square is that it bunches up. I'm thinking of tweeking it a little because I crochet on he tight side so I might make a chain 6 and see if that helps some OR ch5 but sl st in to the first chain of the ch3 then ch1 sl st into the 3rd ch of the ch3 then ch5 and see if that helps loosen things up for me.

Here's the front:

365998530_a0df184086_m.jpg

I also added one more round the square because it was smaller than the others, not sure why. It had less stitches around as well. How do the squares go together when the stitch count is different?

Here's what I have so far. I plan to stick with the dk purple, lavender and the wine color and not use the ombre. If I use the Tricolor square I will replace the ombre with lavender.

365998546_a0704060be_s.jpg

Whoa, Samantha, those are tight stitches! The square looks good, though! Have you tried your suggestions? Love those colors! It's going to be beautiful when it's finished.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like it. It has some really beautiful square designs that I have not seen anywhere else. The only thing I wish the book included is base chain info for the squares that are stitch patterns(kind of like the 63 squares book)

I can figure that out but it would have been nice if it was included. Then the book could be both a squares book and a stitch pattern encyclopedia.

I was wondering about opinions on this book. I'm thinking of buying it and just wanted fellow villagers opinions lol. Thanks.

I really love this book!

Put it this way, I had to order the book from overseas when I got it, and the postage cost twice as much as the book, but I still got it. THAT's how much I wanted it!

My only problem with the book is that I don't think there is actually 200 unique blocks in there, some are the same blocks, done in different colours. Which is a bit misleading. For me anyway...

Wow! Samantha, love those squares and those colours. Really must stop reading this bb and get more crocheting done. LOL I have this book just haven't made anything from it yet.

Archived