200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, Claire! Remember me? I just received my 200 Crochet Blocks Book and you invited me to join this CAL.

I just tried making #173 with a size F hook and it's gonna be bigger than 6". I'm making 6" squares for a comfortghan using Bernat Super Value and RHSS (which splits like the dickens with an F hook!). So it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to make 6" squares from this book unless I use a less bulky yarn like Caron SS. Is that a DK weight yarn (see p.117). Also, can anyone tell me what an Inox hook is, also referred to on p.117?

I will certainly appreciate any help from anyone! Thank you!

:manyheart:hug

Hi Jeannie! Glad you could join us!

Yes, the squares in the book are made with DK, so your squares may come out larger. Caron SS is worsted like RHSS, so it may not be much smaller. Sport weight yarn is the same as DK. You could use fingering and put a few extra rows of sc on the edge if you needed to make it bigger.

DK is very common in England but not around here, unfortunately. I wish it were!

Inox hooks are a British brand of hooks! Haven't had the pleasure of using them.

Any chance you could post a pic of your progress, even if they are too big? I love pics!

Hi Claire, hi everyone! I came to visit and I´m loving Ann´s ghan (Serendipitycrafter) I see this Cal continues joining new members! After the two afghans I crocheted here with you, I´m not ready yet to start a third one.

PS: Q8: I just answered your pm. I´ll be sending you the links as soon as I found them!

clare

my engagement will be at the 18th of this month (2 weeks from now)

it will be with small party but in our country loooots of preprations and expensive

my wedding party the big one will be at october so it`s so soooooooon

vik

nice to see you around :yay

Hi Claire, hi everyone! I came to visit and I´m loving Ann´s ghan (Serendipitycrafter) I see this Cal continues joining new members! After the two afghans I crocheted here with you, I´m not ready yet to start a third one.

PS: Q8: I just answered your pm. I´ll be sending you the links as soon as I found them!

---------

Hi Vik, good to see you again! :yes

Hi Vik! Good to "see" you! I hope you are having a lovely autumn! I'm still waiting for spring to get beyond the mud season phase.

Hi q8! You must be pretty excited! I'm impressed that you have time to get any crocheting done!

Hi Renee! It's good to see you, too! I'm waiting for the day when you finally make a 200 block 'ghan! Or just a square would be good, too! I'm happy with just visits, though, if you can't! :)

claire

to stop crocheting means my death :lol

ROTFLMBO!!!!

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll:rofl :rofl :rofl

I finished the bag using 8 squares from the book! I'll have to take a picture or two and post them, I can't wait for y'all to see it!!

Hi Jeannie! Glad you could join us!
Thanks, Claire!
Any chance you could post a pic of your progress, even if they are too big? I love pics!
And thanks for wanting to see a pic of my 1st attempt from the book. Here's the pic of Big Round, #173:

[/url]th_BigRound-1.jpg

th_BigRound.jpg

Here in the pic it's about 7" but since I took the pic, I frogged the last round of sc and added another round of dc. Right now I'm trying to find a comfortghan home for it. I'm checking to see if it'll work for mythunderbird's (aka Vicki) ghan for her cousin who's in the Army and was badly injured by a roadside bomb.

Hi Twinnish,

Will you take someone who is doing a 221 granny block afghan for a silent auction? Here is the project I am doing.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/mdour1234/DSC01132.jpg

Well, furball1234, I don't know if those are blocks from Jan Eaton's 200 Block book. On the other hand, I hate to say no to people, so welcome aboard! That's beautiful! I love those colors! Can't wait to see it all sewn together! It's sure to bring in big bucks for your cause!

Hi q8! I was thinking of you last night. My youngest daughter needed help with her geography home work. I opened up her book to find that she's studying the Arabian pennisula and the Persian Gulf states! It didn't go into too much depth, though, two pages with pictures for both regions.

How are you? How are your squares?

I'm about finished with the St. Petersburg square. Do you think that's a suitable square to contribute to a comfortghan?

Twinnish,

I think you told me that the squares in the book are based on sport yarn...this square would probably work out better in that yarn. I'm using Caron SS for Colors A and C and a multi RHSS for color B. The RH doesn't seem to be too compatible with the Caron. I wish I had a multi in Caron but I haven't seen any at Wal-Mart.

I was wondering if squares with puffs, popcorn sts, fpdc, bpdc, etc. are good squares for a comfortghan as opposed to a pattern that's more smooth and flat. What do you guys think?

Although I did the tri-color square all in Caron SS and at 1st it didn't seem like it was gonna lay very flat but it does now. It looks very nice!

Pics coming soon......

I think any square that is the right size would be fine for a comfortghan. When I made the St. Petersburg square it came out distorted, so much so that I called it the St. Wonkysburg square! But I was newer to crocheting then. A bigger hook probably would have helped. I'm eager to see all of yours, Jeannie!

hi jeannie

actully i`m from diffrent area and diffrent sermoneis we take for our wedding

so it will be an engagement with very small party and the big wedding i`ll make it probably at october

Here are 3 squares I did from the book. I really like the Tricolor! Oh, the 1st 2 are edged in white because they were for a comfortghan. So was the 3rd but I took the pic before edging in white.

th_10OpenworkSquare.jpg

No. 10 - Openwork

th_35TriColorSq.jpg

No. 35 - Tricolor

th_StPetersburg.jpg

No. 22 - St Petersburg

Loopy the squares are beautiful. Are you going to make every square and make a ghan out of it or using just particular squares.

Thank you, Wendy, for the nice compliment! So far I've been sending them off for comfortghans but I've got some ideas. I'm making the Christmas rose now in Caron SS...the rose is an off-white, then soft blue, then an off-white sc round, then end up with I haven't decided what color. It is a beautiful square!

I thought about mixing this one with the other raised flower squares like #16 Waterlily, #51 Bright Flower, #67 American Beauty (it's beautiful! but I wouldn't use red, white & blue), #87 Peony, #95 Kingcup (if I can fill in those open spaces), and #209 Marigold. What do you guys think. Think it would be too much, too gaudy? Of course, I probably wouldn't use all of those squares.

Did you guys realize there really isn't 200 squares in this book? There is only 128. Of course, there are all the variations of them. I mean, how many different ways can you do a square?

Archived