200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Is your copy of 200 Crochet Blocks calling out to you? Have you been drooling over the beautiful squares and fantasizing about the afghan you could make with them? My long suffering copy has been waiting since Christmas to be put to use. Now that I've successfully conquered the 63 squares monster, I'm ready to pick up 200 Crochet Blocks and make something with it.

Join me and my co-leader and special guest star, JulieKay :angel , the queen of CALs, (Thanks Julie!) as we ponder, brainstorm, tooth-gnash and stitch our way to a completed object made from squares from the 200 Crochet Block book. Will it be an afghan? Will it be a tote? Use your imagination! Feel free to jump in with both feet!

I will be making an afghan. That's as far as I've gone in the planning. Tonight I'm going to go through and pick out a number of squares and decide which ones to use and how many.

Who's in?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I have and love that book to death so will be tagging along here. I am just starting a lapghan that is preempting my Lace and Bobbles (long story) so will post my progress on that ghan at least.

I also adapt patterns from that book for other things like charity square requests and swap blocks so this will be fun!

Hi Ho Claire

Thanks for the great introduction . I feel like putting on a tutu and doing a little ballerina dance ~~~

This should be lots of fun to see what combos of blocks and colors everyone comes up with .

I need to go study my book now and see what I can come up with .

Jump on in, gang, we're waiting for you.

These CAL's have just about dried up... it's time to get a new one rolling .

Hi ladies!

I'm really excited about this project. I've been thinking about using colors from a Van Gogh painting (note: new avatar) for this afghan. I've got a mug with the painting on it and I'd love to make an afghan with those colors. So I need to think about which squares to use, and which colors.

It's going to be interesting!

Hey Claire -

You'll probably catch Celeste's attention ,mentioning Van Gogh . She knows a lot about art . I know NOTHING about it . Couldn't tell you the difference between Whistler's mother and Van Gogh's self potrait . Was he the one who lopped off his ear or was that someone else ? And WHY did he do it, does anyone know ?

He MIGHT have heard me singing . That'd make ANYONE lop off an ear .

Anyhow, it sounds like you have done lots more thinking on the colors than I have .. I am going to sit with my book tonight and try to work out a plan .

Will get back in here when I decide on something .

I wonder if there'd be any way to GRAPH out your design on graph paper ? You might need some fancy online program thing to do it . :think

Julie -- I thought about the graph idea. I thought that I could use colored pencils (note to self: get colored pencils) on graph paper to sort of sketch out ideas for square placement. Come to think of it, somewhere on C-Ville, I believe, someone posted a link for a fancy graph generator website. Let me search for that and get back to you.

And, yeah, Van Gogh was the ear-chopper. He was a troubled soul.

Celeste, thanks for the well wishes!

I'm in, Claire! I can't believe the coincidence, because I've posted about this today in my blog! I have the book in Spanish and I started a blanket for my mom! I've posted: I’m taking ideas from Jan Eaton’s book “200 Crochet blocks for blankets, throws and afghans. Crochet squares to mix and match†–I have it in Spanish. A book full of crochet squares or blocks might not sound very exciting, but there are actually some fab pattern ideas and I highly recommend it to you.

Stash.jpg

This new CAL is a great idea! I hope many villagers will join us! :manyheart

Me too, I'm a little bit busy with other projects but will keep my eye on this one for when I have more projects finished up and out of the way. :)

Hey Julie, your question about Van Gogh got me wondering so I googled "Van Gogh's ear" and believe it or not got this:

http://faculty.concord.edu/rockc/articles/vangogh.html

There are 13 lengthly explanations about why he cut off his ear but I think I can sum it up and just say he was CRAZY!! :lol

Ooooooo, an new CAL! I don't have said book, so as much as I'd like to join..I'm with Sue and Celeste, will have to read and watch what you guys make. Besides, I just started the other CAL, lol!! :)

Hey Sue -

Pretty funny -- the first explanation reminded me of what lengths my husband might go to . Not that he's CRAZY -- he's the SANEST person I know . ROCK SOLID .

BUT.... I talk so much, he may saw off his ear and hand it to me someday, tell me to keep on talking, and go into bed or to work. Someplace where he gets a little PEACE .Then he could say he's still listening , get it ?:lol

Hee hee... when I click on the graph link, I get this message:

Attention

Access to the requested website has failed.

• The site you are attempting to access may be down or experiencing a problem.
  • Please verify the website URL you entered is correct.
  • Access to the Internet requires all --- employees have a manager-approved Internet Access Account. Request for Internet Access.
  • Some Internet sites are blocked due to their nature and content, if not business related. In accordance with Corporate Policy ----, Internet sites deemed inappropriate and unprofessional are blocked from access from the ------------- network.
  • If you feel you have received this notice in error, please contact the appropriate Customer Service Center for assistanc

In other words, they must think I'm tryin to have fun :hook

Julie, you're way ahead of me! I just found that site.

Hi Vik! Welcome aboard! I got a big kick out of seeing the Spanish edition of the book. What a colorful cover!

Unicorn and lucki, check your local library for the book! Mine was purchased at AC Moore with a 40% coupon. I know this because I instructed my mother to buy it with the coupon for me for Christmas!

whoo hoo, the responses are rolling in!

Mare- that's strange-- when I click on it, it opens right up ! :lol

Ah, yes, you evil woman... dat's cause ya ain't bein watched by DA MAN!

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

i put up a post today about this book in publications. it is beautiful. i have never done a cal, but i will keep an eye on this one. if i can get a handle on my wips, i may join you.

I'm in, Claire! I can't believe the coincidence, because I've posted about this today in my blog! I have the book in Spanish and I started a blanket for my mom! I've posted: I’m taking ideas from Jan Eaton’s book “200 Crochet blocks for blankets, throws and afghans. Crochet squares to mix and match†–I have it in Spanish. A book full of crochet squares or blocks might not sound very exciting, but there are actually some fab pattern ideas and I highly recommend it to you.

Stash.jpg

This new CAL is a great idea! I hope many villagers will join us! :manyheart

Where did you et that in Spanish? I have a great friend in Mexico and would love a book like this for her anyone in the US know?

Oh I love VanGogh and the colors from Sunflowers....I won't be doing this CAL, but I will be watching to see the finished afghan....I'm drooling just thinking about it...

Hi ladies!

I'm really excited about this project. I've been thinking about using colors from a Van Gogh painting (note: new avatar) for this afghan. I've got a mug with the painting on it and I'd love to make an afghan with those colors. So I need to think about which squares to use, and which colors.

It's going to be interesting!

I would love to join this CAL but I need to buy the book first. I have been wanting to forever and I am going shopping soon- just for me, so I will join then. :yay

I bought my book tonight Woo Hoo! I'm in. What do we need a graph for? :think

Tina

Hi Tina and welcome aboard ~

I don't guess you'd have to use a graph unless you want to . That was just in case you were trying to figure out which squares and colors you wanted to use in your project, and wanted to sorta draw them out so you could see how different arrangements would work .

This will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with !

Archived