200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yayHappy New Year :yay

I hope to some time next month to scrape a little money to start something. Instead of buying yarn with some holiday $ I bought a spinning wheel :c9 I think it will take me awhile to get up to a speed to make enough for an afghan. :yes

twinish

the squares i made before where perfect but i realized the yarns wont be enough so i paused it and guess what

today i went shopping and baught nice colours

i`ll resume the work today but i`ll larger the squares to fit my bed

can`t wait

by the way vik you have square i didn`t find it in the book

the one that looks as now flake in amiddle of the square

see in each line the middle one :)

yours mother ghan :)

I see it! I see it!

That's very pretty. I like it! I love the Willow square. I made some for my 'ghan. You can see a pic of it on Post #220 of this thread, if you're curious!

Or, I'll just post it again:

Willow189.jpg

My camera was having issues that day, so it's not the best pic.

yes i saw it your ghan so nice i like it

it nakes me feel want to cover under it in the afternoon time in the livingroom on the sofa closing the lights and opening the windows :)

wow

Does it get cool enough to use blankets in Kuwait? Or do you have to put on the air conditioner? I like to sleep with something over me all year, even if it's just a sheet in the hot weather.

Keep on plugging with the squares. You'll be done before you know it.

When I'm making more than one of the same pattern, I make multiples row by row. So, for example, if I make four, I'll do four of row one at the same time, then of row two, etc. It seems to move quicker that way.

this year its sooooooooooo cold now it can be -3 in the middle of the night

but in the summer oh its hoooot

and i`m from the persons that has hot body which means i feel hot quickly

but in our house we use the central conditionar i don`t know if thats the way its named

i love your trick to work faster i`ll try it right now

Hi itch2stitch, It's never too late to join! We pick and choose the patterns randomly according to our individual needs. Welcome aboard! Can't wait to see and hear about your squares!

itch2stitch

hello

as Claire said never too late

i`m in square 4 so you can buy the book and start with me

and guess what?? if i`m done of my afghan i`ll start another one for my mother

so you have alot of time

This may have been discussed before, so apologies if I'm repeating...I was just wondering if anyone has had problems getting gauge with these squares...specifically getting the 6" size...I have tried going down two hook sizes with the yarn I'm experimenting with (just regular old bernat and red heart worsted) and I still am getting these squares coming out at 7 or 8 inches, depending on which hook I use. Normally when I make an afghan I don't really care about gauge, and I know I crochet fairly loosley, but it was really starting to bother me that I couldn't match the author's, and if I go down anymore hook sizes I know that I'll just end up snagging and splitting the yarn.

I'm not sure why this is bothering me so much, as I know I'll just get a bigger afghan, but still this is getting me frustrated. Is this an issue for anyone else or am I the only lucky one?

Thanks for reading :hook

Don't forget that the author uses DK weight yarn for all her squares. I think that's a 3 on the weight scale, where as the worsted you're using is a 4 weight. So between that & crocheting loosely I'd guess that's where your difference is.

I know I'm kind of late on this... and not officially a member of this CAL, but I got the book for xmas and this CAL was just calling my name.

Nora

Crocheters, I just got my copy of the book over Christmas. The author uses DK and I'm using worsted. Other than being bigger, is that going to require adjustments on the pattern?

I'm a little overextended at the moment (in the midst of emergency baby blanket, swaps and a quilt), but I hope to do a square a week.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Who has not yet read all the posts.:eek

Hi Stephanie!

The only difference I've seen is I've made bigger squares than what the author advises...for some of the different squares I've chosen I've added or decreased rounds to make them all a similar size, but that's about it.

As has been said, it's all your personal preference. Most of the time when I'm making an afghan I don't worry about gauge, but for some reason I was frustrated when I couldn't get the same tension as she did with these squares.

Archived