200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Belinda, I'm confused. Are the squares you mention angels or the 200 Crochet Block squares? Can't wait to see pics! I loves me some pics!

Hehe sorry, The squares are from the 200 crochet block squares, BUT, I just finished making a whole heap of granny square angels for a decoration swap I am in on another forum.

I have a pic of 2 of my sqaures.

easternsquaresfg9.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, Vik and Theresa!

And AngrySnail -- what fabulous colors!!

Twinnish, I think you're right about the acrylic yarn, all you can really do is wet it and hope it dries a little closer to the shape you've blocked it into. Too bad, the way those grannies twist in the middle! And I'm up to 11 squares. :hook

I'm still working slowly along (if only school and work wouldn't get in the way -- though I am crocheting between classes now, haha). Six new squares done, though! I think I may be able to make an afghan by Christmas (New Years??) if I really push it.

283829106_4d14230e33_m.jpg

Click the photo to see my progress so far; all posted in the order crocheted.

The Catherine Wheel and the Bright Flower are two of my faves so far! I'm going to try some more of those 3D flowers....

:jumpyay:bounce YIPPEE!!!!!!!!! My book arrived yesterday!! I think I just sat hugging it for about 10 minutes :haha Now I can't decide which squares to make and what colours I want to make them with....decisions decisions.

How did all of you make up your minds?

AngrySnail, Dorsia, I am loving your colour choices!!

WOW Dorsia!!! I clicked the picture, and what a wonderful surprise! Look at this! I LOVE how your squares are coming! The colors cheer me up! I really can´t wait to see the finished afghan!!! :manyheart

ChainOFools, about your question... I think first of all you have to know where you´ll use the afghan, and then you´ll find out the colors that match that place... That´s what I did with the first one... you can take a look here...

http://like-grandma.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_like-grandma_archive.html

and here it´s finished:

http://like-grandma.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_like-grandma_archive.html

And also with the second one... I looked at the wall paper... and you can see it finished too...

http://like-grandma.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_like-grandma_archive.html

Sorry I link you to the month archive, you´ll have to scroll down to find the post!

I hope this can help you!

:manyheart

I've never done a CAL before, and for once I actually have the book that you're all using. Trouble is....I've got too many WIP's at the moment, and I desperately need to finish one in particular for Christmas...(I don't get a lot of time)....

When I finish it I would love to join this one!

This may have been discussed before, so apologies if I'm repeating...I was just wondering if anyone has had problems getting gauge with these squares...specifically getting the 6" size...I have tried going down two hook sizes with the yarn I'm experimenting with (just regular old bernat and red heart worsted) and I still am getting these squares coming out at 7 or 8 inches, depending on which hook I use. Normally when I make an afghan I don't really care about gauge, and I know I crochet fairly loosley, but it was really starting to bother me that I couldn't match the author's, and if I go down anymore hook sizes I know that I'll just end up snagging and splitting the yarn.

I'm not sure why this is bothering me so much, as I know I'll just get a bigger afghan, but still this is getting me frustrated. Is this an issue for anyone else or am I the only lucky one?

Thanks for reading :hook

Hi Kiki, I wouldn´t mind about the gauge crocheting an afghan. I think the important is that you like the way your squares look and that they are all the same size. I worry about gauge when I´m crocheting or knitting a weareable item, but not with projects like this.

This may have been discussed before, so apologies if I'm repeating...I was just wondering if anyone has had problems getting gauge with these squares...specifically getting the 6" size...I have tried going down two hook sizes with the yarn I'm experimenting with (just regular old bernat and red heart worsted) and I still am getting these squares coming out at 7 or 8 inches, depending on which hook I use. Normally when I make an afghan I don't really care about gauge, and I know I crochet fairly loosley, but it was really starting to bother me that I couldn't match the author's, and if I go down anymore hook sizes I know that I'll just end up snagging and splitting the yarn.

I'm not sure why this is bothering me so much, as I know I'll just get a bigger afghan, but still this is getting me frustrated. Is this an issue for anyone else or am I the only lucky one?

Hi Kiki! I had the same trouble, so I ended up using a variety of hooks (between 3.5mm and 5.0mm) and occasionally found myself adding an extra border round the edge of a block, or omitting the final round! The look of my finished bag (which I still haven't uploaded a photo of) is pretty rustic but it was fun to play around with the patterns and just experiment.

Look forward to seeing pics of your afghan! :)

Kiki, I really didn't pay much attention to gauge. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.

Hi Vik! Hi ChainO! Hi rose! Rose, I hope you can post a pic of your crochet baby and your real one soon! Happy Saturday!

Thanks Vik, Rose & Claire! You are all so great.:manyheart Glad I'm not the only one with guage issues.

I did manage to choose two blocks so far, I posted a bit about them on my blog today, you can see pictures of my first two squares here

Thanks for looking! :hook

• 3 weeks later...

Here I am, dredging my CAL up from page three. I've been busy doing NaNoWriMo (see sig) so I haven't been around. How's everyone doing with their squares???

ChainOFools, your squares are very pretty. Your square with the four squares is so square! It's amazing! Have you made any more lately?

This CAL has finally convinced me to stop browsing and start crocheting! I'm taking apart a large granny square that just was not inspiring me and have already turned it into 5 star flowers and one Italian cross - 72 squares to go to make a decent size blanket.

Just love this book and these squares! Have mislaid the wire from camera to computer but when I find it will post some progress pics...

Hope everyone else is getting on ok...

Hi Eggnog! Welcome to the CAL, I also love this book! I can sit and just flip through it and look at all the squares and get inspired. Have you decided which squares you are making or are you like me, keep changing your mind because there are so many great ones? :lol

Twinnish, thanks for the compliments! That quartet block is one of my favourites :) I've made a few more and a couple different patterned ones but haven't taken any pictures yet, I will have to charge up the camera and take some! :hook

Ooo, I love pictures! I hope you can both post some soon.

Eggnog, welcome aboard the 200 Crochet Blocks CAL! I just sent my oldest off to London yesterday. She was invited by an old friend to spend some time with him there. She's never been abroad and she hasn't been on an airplane for 8 years. I hope you all have some good weather today. She left the pouring rain here.

Thanks for joining us!

the other day i was looking at another thread about a block exchange, and i mentioned that i have that 200 crochet blocks book... i have all my squares joined, i made 32, but with a G hook instead of an F to make the squares bigger. im just now working on the border. so its kinda cheating if i joined right now :'( i wish id known about this CAL before...

if yall want i can post a picture just to show off :D worked up in a week!

lil, cheat all you want. I'd love to see what you've done with the blocks. A few of our CAL participants made one blanket and immediately started another one. Please feel free to post a pic!

Archived