200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Hi folks!

Vik, that afghan is just wonderful. You must have bionic hands. How can you crochet that fast? I left a note on your blog.

If anyone is interested, here's a post on my trip to WEBS yesterday!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32694

That place is amazing!

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to add that I've been joining my squares and have two rows joined together and one row that needs to be joined to the two rows.

Does that make any sense? Two rows together plus one row that needs to be joined to it. Slow and steady joining, here!

Last night I went to join the single strip to the double strip. I had it joined down to the end when I realized that the new strip reached a good bit further than the other two strips. It wasn't lined up. That square on the end was just too big.

So I unjoined that square completely on both joined sides, picked out the last two rows of sc and crocheted one row of sc. I'm at work now and haven't matched it up to see if it will fit, but man, I hope so!

Twinnish the size thing is a real pain. In the end I just joined them up and hoped for the best.

Now you may be pleased to know that Australian Idol has started here, and :blush :blush I am a bit of an idol junky. The good thing is that I got 2 squares done tonight. One white and one black and white. Now I am going to need something like Idol to watch to make me stick to this black and white creation. I dont know when I am going to do the plain black as it is hard on the eyes. But I figure if I can do 2 a night, that is 10 a week and I should have it finished before we get to the semifinals. :lol :lol :lol

Hi folks!

Vik, that afghan is just wonderful. You must have bionic hands. How can you crochet that fast? I left a note on your blog.

If anyone is interested, here's a post on my trip to WEBS yesterday!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32694

That place is amazing!

------------

Claire, I saw your trip report, and I got jealous all over again! When I went to WEBS, I didn't have time to go into the back room. I'm gonna have to go back to Northhampton some time (maybe next summer for a few days), and make a proper day out of it at WEBS.

I'm so glad you guys were able to go!

Hi Ladies,

I recently borrowed this book from my local library. I'm in love!:manyheart I think I will have to buy it. One thing though. Well actually two questions.

1. I am pretty new to crochet, maybe about 6 months. Would you say some of these blocks would be okay for newbie's? I've already made plenty of baby blankies and scarves, hats, etc...

2. I notice that the patterns call for DK yarn and an F hook. Is sportsweight lighter than DK or the same? I really would like to use SS for these blocks, because of the colors and softness. Has anyone else used SS and if so what hook size?

Wow, I think that's about 4 questions. Ooops. :blush

Thanks

Esmeralda

Hi Esmeralda!

Welcome to the CAL! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want!

If you've done hats, scarves and baby blankets, these squares will be a piece of cake. Don't feel intimidated by the least. I don't even check the difficulty level on these things when I pick one to do.

I have always used worsted weight yarn, RH Super Saver to be exact. My hook is a G because that is what works for me. SS, whether you mean Super Saver or Simply Soft, will work fine, although your squares will come out bigger than the author's DK squares. Sport weight and DK are similar.

So, go for it! And if you can use AC Moore's 50 percent off coupon this week to buy the book, all the better!

Thanks Twinnish so much for your advice!:) I'm really excited about this, but unfortunately there is no AC Moore in my town. :( However, I do have a 40% coupon from both Beverly's and Joann's. Hopefully, it will be at one of those stores.

Thanks again,

Esmeralda:hook

Hello Claire, hello everybody!

Don´t miss the last post at Cupcake´s Blog!!! We knew about the beautiful afghan she crocheted in this Cal, but you can´t imagine the amazing colection she alredy has done!!!! OMG, Cupcake, each of them is a dream! :clap

Hi all!

Michael's had a 50% off coupon in the paper and I wisely spent it purchasing this book. I really like what I see here and in the book. I need to finish a couple of projects and then dabble in this awhile. Cupcake's work is really stunning!:cheer

Linda, my pal, it's never too late to jump in the 200 Blocks pool!! Do a swan dive for me! Come on in, the water's fine! I'm looking forward to seeing the lovely squares you are sure to be making!

I joined two more rows onto my 200 Block 'ghan last night. Doubt I'll get anything done tonight, though. Rena Tyrantina and Badlass are coming over for supper. Usually no crocheting gets done during our visits, although, that wouldn't be a bad idea....

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, heh, Vik, I've got to put that at the top of my priority list. I have four strips joined. Life and procrastination keep getting in my way! Now that the kids are back in school, it seems like there are all kinds of things that need my attention. I'd say it needs another 2 or 3 hours at most to finish joining, then maybe another 2 for edging. I need to hurry because the cold weather is creeping up on us.

How's your weather doing? Is it warmer yet?

I was keen to finish my 200 blocks project so I finished my 12 squares and joined them together to make a bag (crocheted rather than sewed - I can't stand sewing!), attaching them to a basic double crochet (US sc) gusset/strap. I also bought fabric for the lining, but later that night I went into labour. :) So I guess I'll post pics of the bag when I get the chance - and at some point in the future I may even sew in the lining!

rose,

I can't imagine you have much time nowadays. That bag will wait for its lining. Whenever you have the chance, I'd love to see that bag! And an updated picture of that baby!

How's your weather doing? Is it warmer yet?

Hi Claire!

Yes, today Spring begins here and it´s a beautiful sunny day! :cheer

You´re right you "have to" finish the ghan! I tell you I can´t wait to see the picture!!! ;)

Hi Rose! How´s the baby? She´s so cute! :hug I agree with Claire, I think the bag will have to wait, or maybe -I hope- do you have someone that makes the mashine sewing for you? :c9

Arrgh, that's right, Vik! Now it's officially Autumn!

Summer's gone and I didn't even say goodbye!

On the CAL front, I sewed another strip onto my son's 'ghan. At this rate I'll be done by Christmas....

2009!

Archived