My best effort yet!

nataleeza

I am so pleased about how this blue colour came out:

navyblue_skein.jpg

I just used food colouring in blue, black, yellow and red and managed to mix up a navy blue. I'm really getting the hang of making the colours I can see in my head. And to think that it was browsing this sub-forum that kicked it all off :c9

There are a few more details here on my blog.

Thanks for looking :)

Oh my! That is gorgeous. I love the look of yarn that has several shades of the same color. I've been wanting to try my hand at dyeing.. I even purchased some food dyes (they are cake dyes made by Wilton) and a bunch of Koolaid, haven't had the courage to try it yet.

Joan

Yeah, my favourite type of variegation is shades of the same colour. I love to dye several different colours in a ball, but I'd never actually make anything for me out of it, it's just a bit too much! But shades of the same colour, gorgeous!

It takes a bit of effort to keep lifting the yarn out to make the lighter shades, but it's well worth it!

Very Nice Until I Found This Site I Didnot Know That You Could Dye Yarn Yourself I Just Thought You Brought All Your Yarn Already Done From The Store. Maybe One Day I Will Be Brave Enough To Try All These Things. Theresa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there Sparkles, I'm so glad you've joined us!

I dye using liquid food colour, so I mixed up a navy blue using blue and a bit of orange and some black.

I put it into a big pot of water with some citric acid added (white vinegar works too), and heated it.

I dipped my hank into the dye until it was the light blue colour, then lifted a third of it out, and suspended it above the dye. I dyed the rest of the yarn until it was the mid tone, then poulled the next third out of the water. I dyed the bottom until it was a dark as I wanted it.

When it was cool, I rinsed it, and voila!

I missed this thread before. So glad somebody bumped it. Blues are my favorites and your dye job is just gorgeous. Way to go!

Nice job Drew:cheer .....what a fun idea to get just the color you want! "Thank you":hug to you too Natalie for explaining the how tos! This sounds like a lot of fun! Kinda like making tie dyed t-shirts back in my younger days.....I bet that putting large strong rubber bands on the hank of yarn would produce some fun effects as well....they have to be tight! I am just DYE-ing to try it(tee hee-sorry for the pun)

Gee that turned out well. I notice on your blog you mention using food colours for dye. Are they colour fast??

Thanks!!

Well, I've had a little hank of dyed yarn sitting on my window sill for about a month, and I haven't noticed any fading.

It's the same principle as kool aid dyeing, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with kool aid fading.

And speaking of this lovely hank - it's still sitting in my stash. I'm glad Sparkles bumped this thread because I'd forgotten about it!

It's beautiful. And that is food colour? To dye food with? I don't think you can get that over here, I've never heard of it.

Archived