My Version of the Cable Purse

JCB

I made this purse for the Spring Purse Swap. I used Caron Simply Soft in a purple, in conjunction with a lightweight yarn in a lighter shade of purple. I like the way the two colors interact, although I don't think it shows in the picture.

SpringSwapPursecopy.jpg

Joan

Oh wow.. that is a really cute purse! :manyheart I can see the two tones you speak of and they make it look really good. Great job :cheerI want one! :devil It really is a beauty!

I LOVE your purse! The colors are fabulous. And I really love how you used the organdy ribbon. (My personal preference is for the organdy instead of satin.) Great job! :cheer:clap

Your purse turned out great, JCB. The two colors used together are beautiful as well as the pretty ribbon. I still have a problem with crocheting into a ring or around a rod so I haven't made one of these yet.:)

Joan, love the colors and style..great job!!!

Did you just make a rectangle and fold in half, then attach to the handles??

I'm dying to make one of these but I'm big chicken and it takes me forever to try something so new to me.

Beautiful!

What exquisite work!

I have like, 5 Bag WIP's and your post just might give me the incentive to finish at least a couple!

Thanks for showing your work!

Wow! I was away all day and came back to all these wonderful accolades! Thanks so much!

To answer some questions: No, it's not a big rectangle. It's actually a big tube. I just made a chain (don't remember how many, but I usually just eyeball it until it is 'purse size' :). Then, it's HDC round and round... I don't even join rounds, except where I added one row of Double Crochet for the ribbon. I slip stitched the last stitch of the round before, the DC row and the row after. About 2-3" before the end I stopped going round and round and just went back and forth, on both the front and then the back. That is to allow a larger opening for the bag. I simply sewed the handles on with the yarn... can't quite get the hang of actually crocheting them on. I seamed the bottom, and put a gusset (I think that's the right name?) to provide some width.

The bags I've been making lately, I do a big flat oval of single crochet, then start HDC and go up... no seams at all. Can you tell I hate sewing?

Joan

Archived