only me?

ginaj

Question

i found a pattern for a vacuum cover and converted it to look like a bear got 3/4 of the way done and got bored.now its sitting in my basket and i can't bring myself to finish.does this happen to everyone or just me?

As a Libra, I look at it as doing the right project at the right time. Which is why I have one afghan in a box downstairs someplace that I started about 10 years ago. I don't like the afghan but want to reuse the yarn for something else. Then one afghan under my bed that I started for a friend who passed before I could finish it, and I don't want to finish it or rip it out just yet.

Other than that, I have about 4-5 WIP including capes for the flower girls in my brother's wedding (2 done, 2 to go), a kidghan for my daughter to use at school, a granny headscarf for my oldest daugther, a couple of towel toppers, my PDA case (just have to sew the button on that one).

Must be a yarn nut thing.

I don't have UFOs, simply because it would make me mad to have worked on something for so long and not finish it. That's not to say that I haven't put something aside for a little while and worked on something else. Sometimes I just need to do something different.

This thread made me laugh like crazy!

Just yesterday I told my husband that I better stay off Crochetville until I get at least one UFO finished--I always find such great patterns here that I just have to try:D My favorites list is beginning to overflow!

I get tired of the same color all the time, so I try to do projects that change color a lot, like individual squares or scrap aghans. Currently I have a striped baby afghan, an afghan for my 13-year-old niece, and the 63 squares (I'm making that in baby yarn and picked out 20 favorite squares for a baby blanket.)When I get bored with one, I work on another one for a few days. And of course I have in my head other projects I want to get started.

I love crocheting! I need more hands!

The problem with UfO's for me is once I put them down I rarely ever pick them back up :blush so I try to be choosy about what I do to avoid this. Obviously you can't always tell how a pattern is gonna go and it may seem to drag on when you thought it might go quick & those are the ones I usually get bored with.

It sort of drives me nuts to have things half done :eek

haha! i can never finish a project straight through either. i always get halfway done then lose interest, and start another project. i have to motivate myself again to finish, and a lot of times (its silly but it works for me) i make it a race between projects, to see which one will finish first... the original or the interloper!

then i have 2 cool projects done at around the same time :P

^I know what you mean about the frogging, I started a wristwarmer in Bernat Frenzy and it didn't turn out right so I need to frog it, is going to take some patience and a little pair of scissors to get it frogge but I will frog it :hook

Alright, I'm a scorpio, and I'm familiar with that feeling as well. I'm doing a lapghan for my grandmum, but all of a sudden I just couldn't crochet one more little black square. I sewed it all up, and now I'm going in rounds around the squares in the center.

However, I can be almost crazy patient too. I can frog the same thing several times, sometimes for hours. Somtimes I crochet for a week, don't like it, and spend an entire day frogging it, regardless of the kind of yarn. I have yet to meet the yarn that I can't frog, even if I have to use needles and scissors and break all my nails! :lol

I don't know if that's typical scorpio. ;)

So those strange things have a name... UFO... I'm already learning things and it's my first day here! I have other craft interests :eek besides crochet (one being quilting) and I actually am still planning to finish a quilt I started when my first son was born... He'll be 23 in May!!! It seems I have several crochet WIPs at any given time... I think it's normal!!! Too many pretty yarns and funky patterns to just work on 1 at a time.

Yes I get bored on long projects when I do them. For me it is mainly using the same stitches & same colors that gets to me after a while. I think it is a type of attention deficit some people have. Not in the hyer type way but a slight problem with keeping their attention focused.

Also with crochet, after a while on the same project, when my attention gets weaker I tend to make more mistakes or I yearn to get to a WIM or another WIP. Long projects take patience & perseverence. Two things I don't excel at LOL! But I work on it & often visualize the project done when I get the mood to put it away as a UFO. That so far has helped tremendously for me. Very few projects go to "Forever a UFO" fate. Eventually I will finish everything that I have undone with the exception of one or two that I decided I do not want. One was a yarn that I must be allergic to. My sinus drive me crazy when I work on it.

But in my experience, the best way to make sure you finish the bear cover is to take a little break from it...work on another project...then go back to it refreshed & ready to finish it!

Well there's the Martha Stewart shawl for my MIL that I meant to give her for her birthday so she could actually wear it in the fall. Needless to say, I finally finished it for her Hannukah present. It sat for a couple of months without any work on it because I was trying to get my afghan done and one for my SIL's new baby. I'm a Capricorn (with a Saggitarius cusp) so no dual personality here, lol.

ummm i dont ever not finish something..

sorry i have a schedule .. but i never take on something i know i would get bored with later.. and there may be 10 UFO's hanging out at a given time around my work area.. but they all get done in a timely manner..

i guess i just try not to take on something i would be bored making ..

now there are a few things in my dresser at the moment.. that i havent had time to finish due to other deadlines but by no means is it because i am bored wtih them or something i don t want to finish .. it just means there are times i NEED more hands ..

but there is nothing that lays around here more than 3 months with out getting finished .. period..

Good gods your not alone. Last year for Yule (2004) I made this big afghan for my niece and it was in barbie doll lavenders and I don't think I ever want to even look at those colors ever again. the only thing that kept me working on it was that I knew how much she wanted a "magic" blanket from her auntie.

gemini here as well...many, many unfinished projects to go along with my zodiac sign.

FOR EXAMPLE!

i got one afghan thats completely done except for maybe a foot's worth of end weaving and i havent done it in 2 weeks!!!! how bad is that! :fame

I am an Aries and you don't want to know how many UFOs I have in my bag.

I'm still trying to finish a roses afghan then will tackle the others and probably start a dozen more UFOs before I finish one of the older ones :oops

OMG. You are all so weird. :2nono What's wrong with you? :rolleyes I finish everything I start and nothing is left undone or forgotten. Hold on a minute. I think my cats are trapped under the giant pile of yarn in the living room. Ooops, now you know the truth.

One day I was at Hobby Lobby buying yarn for something I might make someday and there was an older lady next to me who couldn't decide which of two colors to get and I suggested she buy them both and think about it at home when she was relaxed and then use the other one for something else. She said she couldn't do that because nobody in her family knits or crochets and what would they do with her yarn when she dies? :eek I didn't know what to say. I wanted to cry because I thought it was so sad to worry about your demise while shopping for something as :manyheart as yarn, but I also wanted to laugh picturing her kids standing in her house that they had emptied of all her life's possessions except for that one damn skein of yarn she just had to buy, staring at it, shaking their heads and asking, Why mom, why?! What are we supposed to do with this? :rofl I had other weird thoughts of being the enabler that I am and chasing her around the store with a ball of yarn telling her to just buy the damn thing while she tries to fight me off and me putting it in her cart when she wasn't looking. :lol

Oh man, I must be really tired to be sharing my crazy thoughts with the world. Forgive me.

:rofl Thanks for a good chuckle.

OMG. You are all so weird. :2nono What's wrong with you? :rolleyes I finish everything I start and nothing is left undone or forgotten. Hold on a minute. I think my cats are trapped under the giant pile of yarn in the living room. Ooops, now you know the truth.

One day I was at Hobby Lobby buying yarn for something I might make someday and there was an older lady next to me who couldn't decide which of two colors to get and I suggested she buy them both and think about it at home when she was relaxed and then use the other one for something else. She said she couldn't do that because nobody in her family knits or crochets and what would they do with her yarn when she dies? :eek I didn't know what to say. I wanted to cry because I thought it was so sad to worry about your demise while shopping for something as :manyheart as yarn, but I also wanted to laugh picturing her kids standing in her house that they had emptied of all her life's possessions except for that one damn skein of yarn she just had to buy, staring at it, shaking their heads and asking, Why mom, why?! What are we supposed to do with this? :rofl I had other weird thoughts of being the enabler that I am and chasing her around the store with a ball of yarn telling her to just buy the damn thing while she tries to fight me off and me putting it in her cart when she wasn't looking. :lol

Oh man, I must be really tired to be sharing my crazy thoughts with the world. Forgive me.

LOL! Yes' date=' it is a Gemini trait to get bored easily...or maybe it's because we live in Massachusetts?????:think[/quote']

Yes it is a Gemini thing. I can never make uo my mind and when I do I tend to change my mind. Or than again it could be a New England thing (i am in CT)

But right now I have 4 UFO. One is a scrap afghan (needed to get rid of some extra yarn that was taking to much room), a wedding dress, a cross stitch for a wedding in September, and a baby blanket for a shower in March or April.

This is the most UFO I have ever had at once. I also tend to got obsessed about one thing and have to finish it before I can move on to an other thing.

:devil:manyheart

I have 7 WIP's going, and getting ready to start on the purse swap. :eek One is a scrap afghan, so I do a little as I go along, but I started a filet bedspread that I think about killed me, I'm only 1/2 way done, and it's been 6 years since I worked on it. :blush

My GAWD, you must be joking! There is a UFO crochet along devoted to this (UFO means unfinished objects!). You just need a good motivation to finish, which a crochetalong provides. Get out the project and finish it! Now!!!!!! You'll feel so much better when you're done. Although I do admit, when I finished the last UFO in my stash last week, I had a strange feeling of emptiness...like I wasn't needed or wanted anymore. :( But then I got some yarn out and started another project and then another. And now I have at least three things on the go and I feel needed again.:manyheart

So you're not the only one out there. Trust me!

Archived