2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

Turned in two prayer shawls today.  I can do one per month fairly easy and sometimes two but attempting 3 in 3 weeks left both hands spasming.  I needed to write a letter and had trouble holding on to the pen.20230524_153708.thumb.jpg.6f975e35513c43ffa6d1ea95603e3919.jpg20230524_154055.thumb.jpg.fc5f79ce1158a8784a9117c2fb00442f.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Turned in two prayer shawls today.  I can do one per month fairly easy and sometimes two but attempting 3 in 3 weeks left both hands spasming.  I needed to write a letter and had trouble holding on to the pen.20230524_153708.thumb.jpg.6f975e35513c43ffa6d1ea95603e3919.jpg20230524_154055.thumb.jpg.fc5f79ce1158a8784a9117c2fb00442f.jpg

Love the colours.  I have the same problem when I crochet for long periods of time.  I bought a compression glove/crafter glove and it helps.

On 6/3/2023 at 9:37 PM, babypoohsmom said:

So I’ve had a lot of stuffies that I wanted to turn into lovies. I kept “auditioning” purple yarn for this guy and rejected them for being too light or too dark or not the right shade…and today I just decided that no kid is ever going to object to the bad match of colors!! So I picked one of the purples and ta da! 6F7265F8-FDA6-40C5-A1AB-E825F5B8FEE5.thumb.jpeg.6412308fc47e67c9bbfa88fc5063a6b3.jpeg

Aww super cute! Some child is just going to love your lovie!!

On 6/13/2023 at 2:37 PM, bgs said:

Turned in two prayer shawls today.  I can do one per month fairly easy and sometimes two but attempting 3 in 3 weeks left both hands spasming.  I needed to write a letter and had trouble holding on to the pen.

20230524_153708.thumb.jpg.6f975e35513c43ffa6d1ea95603e3919.jpg20230524_154055.thumb.jpg.fc5f79ce1158a8784a9117c2fb00442f.jpg

Two more lovely prayer shawls! I started a C2C one and hope to have it done soon. You were my inspiration.

Here is my C2C shawl that I crocheted. It is 60 inches wide by 27 inches long. I used  Hobby Lobby Love this Yarn in Moody Mosaic colorway. This will be donated to the Care and Share Ministry who will give it to someone who needs blessed.

MosaicShawl-Final.thumb.JPG.b22f766e8cd0cdf727eafb886f93f0a5.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RecycleCindy said:

Here is my C2C shawl that I crocheted. It is 60 inches wide by 27 inches long. I used  Hobby Lobby Love this Yarn in Moody Mosaic colorway. This will be donated to the Care and Share Ministry who will give it to someone who needs blessed.

MosaicShawl-Final.thumb.JPG.b22f766e8cd0cdf727eafb886f93f0a5.JPG

Thats so pretty.  Sometimes I wish they would let us make different shaped shawls.  Ours should really be called prayer blankets.  I guess  they wanted them uniform in size and shape thinking it would be easier to hand out to anyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bgs said:

Thats so pretty.  Sometimes I wish they would let us make different shaped shawls.  Ours should really be called prayer blankets.  I guess  they wanted them uniform in size and shape thinking it would be easier to hand out to anyone.

Thank you for your kind comment. I wondered about those sizes but my charity doesn't technically have prayer shawl ministry. We just make all kinds of things to give to people who might need a blessing along with a meal, a visit, or gift.  It's a new group and we're just learning as we go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RecycleCindy said:

Thank you for your kind comment. I wondered about those sizes but my charity doesn't technically have prayer shawl ministry. We just make all kinds of things to give to people who might need a blessing along with a meal, a visit, or gift.  It's a new group and we're just learning as we go.

Sounds like a wonderful group to be a part of.

Our "shawls" are primarily handed out by our chaplains to residents in the hospital so they need something suitable with them for men and women.  I try to use colors that would work for either but we have a lot of pink on the shelf.  We use a lot of donated yarn so we wind up having mix colors.

• Like 1

Hi, I just thought I would share with my yarny friends that I am retiring! My last day at work will be Monday, July 10th.  I will probably get a new job, maybe part time. We’ll see! I still have to pay for insurance. But…hopefully I can get to a few of those “some day” projects I have been meaning to try!9D6A9D26-50BC-48B2-8F57-AA6165589524.thumb.jpeg.bdc49cfb4fbb821a0a85ce9c77ea58b6.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/25/2023 at 7:49 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Hi, I just thought I would share with my yarny friends that I am retiring! My last day at work will be Monday, July 10th.  I will probably get a new job, maybe part time. We’ll see! I still have to pay for insurance. But…hopefully I can get to a few of those “some day” projects I have been meaning to try!9D6A9D26-50BC-48B2-8F57-AA6165589524.thumb.jpeg.bdc49cfb4fbb821a0a85ce9c77ea58b6.jpeg

Congratulations! Enjoy your free time.

Here is a batch of Christmas stockings I mailed off today to Warmth for Warriors. I had an interesting conversation with the postal clerk about the jingle bells that jingled when she picked up the package. I explained how we make stockings for the troops all year for this next Christmas.

StockingBatch6-28-2023.thumb.JPG.b420e59dbd5700241b9130a083290dbf.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 11:49 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Congratulations, enjoy your you time, there is life after a career. I retired in 2017 and am enjoying doing things on my time and doing the crafts I had put on the back burner for all those years.  Highly recommend retirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope retirement is all the wonderful things you are hoping to find.:cake

I'm finally back to the doll project.  I finished a prayer shawl for a woman at church that I need to take a picture of and it inspired me to finally work towards finishing a baby doll thread dress I started and abandoned month's ago.  Just have to finish the skirt, add a snap, sew in ends and it will finally be finished!!!

Took advantage of Prime days and picked up 2 diaper bags for the baby dolls and one of the doll carriers I need for this year.  Still need 1 more carrier but while the bags were on sale the carriers had a coupon only good for one item so I'll see if I can catch them later on sale again.

I am pleased I made a list on my phone in the spring that tells me what I still need for 2023 and what I actually already have for 2024. I would never remember without the list.

Need to finish a few more rows on doll's skirt and I will finally be done with the thread dress and can move on to something a bit more friendly hopefully.

Found some accessories for Barbie at the Dollar store yesterday.  They had various activity outfits with accessories.  The outfits aren't great but the accessories are items I couldn't find for outfits I've made previously, tennis, skiing, etc. So I plan on adding the handmade outfits with the packaged ones.

Started another prayer shawl for a young mom at Church who is recovering from surgery.  It's Lion Brand cotton I've never used before and it is splitting something fierce but I do love how soft the yarn is so I'm determined to stick it out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LegalWoman17 said:

Discovered this website newbornsinneedspringfield.org

They collect items for impoverished families who have very little for their babies.  Not just crochet.  Knitting, quilting, store bought items.  I have tons of pastel colored yarn, so will be making some baby afghans. 

Anyone care to join me?

Did you see there is also a  St. Louis (and a KC chapter)  It would save on postage.  

https://newbornsinneed.org/find-a-chapter/

• 4 weeks later...

Topaz Prayer Shawl

I've been trying to catch up on documenting my projects because I like having the notes and pictures to go back to if I want to revisit a project.

I did a set of general shawls for our Church prayer ministry.  Lately I've been targeting specific people in need of some comfort so I've been doing less random pattern/yarn picks and trying to find something that will match but these early ones were good practice.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Topaz Prayer Shawl

I've been trying to catch up on documenting my projects because I like having the notes and pictures to go back to if I want to revisit a project.

I did a set of general shawls for our Church prayer ministry.  Lately I've been targeting specific people in need of some comfort so I've been doing less random pattern/yarn picks and trying to find something that will match but these early ones were good practice.

The Topaz prayer shawl is very beautiful. I am sure it will bless whoever receives it. I have yarn and want to get back to crocheting another prayer shawl soon. Thanks for the inspiration as I've been on a bit of a crocheting vacation.