2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

I was at Goodwill last weekend and saw a bag that looked like it had cross stitch projects in it. There was a piece of paper blocking my view of the contents. I decided to spring for the $3.97 to see what was inside. These are beautifully stitched Hummel pieces. I have no idea what to do with them. I wonder what happened to the person who made these. How did hundreds of hours of work end up at Goodwill. Any suggestions about what I could do with them? Framing is expensive and before I could do anything with them, I’d have to clean them. 
IMG_2653.thumb.jpeg.106be9a49723576ae1a9e7fc091e9660.jpeg

• Like 1

And Chris. Just an FYI that you should be getting my small box of donations on Monday. Setting my sights on making a few trinket gifts for Christmas (maybe mug rugs or something like that). I found some very nice, very gently used beanie babies at a garage sale. I am going to look online and see if they can be cleaned to the extent that I could use them in lovies. I know they will hold up well, but I don’t want to give a “used” item to a kid. What do you guys think?. When I saw them I remembered that my mom had a basket of them. So I have mom’s new beanie babies, some second hand ones and still have about 12 stuffies from the dollar store.  Now, hmmm. I need some free time!!

• Like 1

What a beautiful find.  That is a nightmare of mine for when I am no longer around.  But, they found someone who can appreciate them.

I have no idea, except for maybe taking a few and making a craft tote, or if you know someone who quilts have a baby blanket made with them.

Just a few ideas.

Edited by Tampa Doll

12 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

I was at Goodwill last weekend and saw a bag that looked like it had cross stitch projects in it. There was a piece of paper blocking my view of the contents. I decided to spring for the $3.97 to see what was inside. These are beautifully stitched Hummel pieces. I have no idea what to do with them. I wonder what happened to the person who made these. How did hundreds of hours of work end up at Goodwill. Any suggestions about what I could do with them? Framing is expensive and before I could do anything with them, I’d have to clean them. 
IMG_2653.thumb.jpeg.106be9a49723576ae1a9e7fc091e9660.jpeg

Wow such beautiful work and so sad to see someone's work left like that. I am very glad that you rescued them. Tote bags come to mind for them or pillow covers. Maybe put several together for a quilt top.

It has been my experience they are each slightly different.  I got 2 many years ago from a store that got clearance from high end toy stores.  The doll was a much higher quality than the Springfield dolls I was using at the time, but nothing fit the same.  If I hadn't had the one for a model and the other for donation it wouldn't have worked.  I actually just donated her last year to a group that was looking for used toys as I don't have another doll that wears the same sized clothes.

Babypoohsmom's donation arrived today and I managed to catch it between the weird showers we've been having today.  Sun, rain, sun, rain.

Thank you so much for all your hard work.  The high school kids and the children who will actually get the stuff will both be thrilled. 

Babypoohs Donation Dress 2023.jpg

Babypoohs Donation Lovies 2023.jpg

• Like 2

Denise I like the dress and hat but "love" the lovies.

Chris at first I didnt recognize the name of the pattern til I checked your blog and saw it was part of her Weatherby collection.  I often wonder about Darski and figure she may have passed away by now and am ever so grateful for the patterns she gave us.

• Like 2

I have a friend who worked at the post office for quite some time and he told me to always put thinks like that into ziplocks because packages can’t always keep away from rain and snow. He also told me to always put the address inside the box as well, but I am about 50/50 at remembering that! 

I figured that the inexpensive dolls might be difficult to fit or/and may not move around enough to get the arms up to change clothes. 

Also, if anyone wants any of those Hummel pieces to make a bag or pillow or whatever, just let me know. I’m happy to pop them in the mail to anyone. But note that most of them have very small spare Aida cloth around the pattern. It’s a lot of work (and the backs are as beautifully done as the front) to go cheap on the cloth. With the number of projects on my to do list, they may end up back at Goodwill when I get too old! Love to see anyone get use out of them. The tote bag idea is a good one. 

Edited by babypoohsmom

When ever possible I try to keep stuff in plastic when I ship because far too often stuff get soaked on my door step and I'm always so happy when it is properly packed from the vendor.

Darski left us so many wonderful patterns for the dolls.  I was so glad we were able to get them pinned so they are easy to find now.  She has some amazing collections of patterns where she had a theme and made lots of items in one set.

Today is another one of her patterns this time for the baby doll.

16" Baby Doll B & B Sweater Set

• Like 1

I love Darski's patterns.  They are so easy to make and they are so adaptable.

I also wonder what has happened to her.  She was very helpful when there was confusion on a pattern.

Love the stuff Denise sent.  I try to put the stuff in plastic bags to keep them from getting dusty, while waiting to be shipped.  I usually have a box filled with plastic bags for dollies and dresses and such.

Edited by Tampa Doll
  • Like 1

My Life Swim Suit

With this second My Life Bathing suit made I have one more suit to make for the 16" Baby doll and ALL the dolls will have Swim suits before they leave for the donation!!!

I tried this one on the 16" doll and it fits so I think this will be the final pattern of the year for swim/bathing outfits.

• Like 1

The details on that swimsuit set are so cute!

I know this is odd, but I like to “chat” with people when I’m crafting alone. It will probably end me up in a nursing home, but I recently lost a friend and have some of her scissors. When I use them, I talk to her. Ask her if she likes what I’m working on. Stuff like that. One of my great aunts was named Agnes. She could crochet ANYTHING. When I get frustrated I ask her to help me. Or to tell me it’s time to set the project aside. Of course she never surrendered to a pattern. 

I did make contact with the teacher from the Aztec Wishes project last week.  They haven't set a drop off date but they are getting the project organized.  Gives me time as I'm still putting together items.

Did hit a Target sale yesterday and ordered 1 boy and girl doll each for the Our Generation 18" dolls.  I prefer the My Life line but it gives some variety to the donation.  I also was able to get the Melissa and Doug diaper bag I started using for the Lots to Love 14" doll this year on sale, too.  So that stuff is stashed away for 2024.  I haven't seen the My Life dolls move in price in ages.  I'm really hoping for a sale before or after the holiday as I have nothing in stock after this year's donation.

I swear my spare room upstairs has a corner that looks likes something out of an episode of doll hoarders.  It isn't allowed to expand beyond certain areas because DH and I use the space to exercise in and nobody likes being attacked by rogue dolls.

Today I have another Darski pattern.  This time for the 16" Baby doll. 

Sunny Days

• Haha 2

Love the rogue dolls attacking.  Right out of a horror movie.

Hey Denise, I talk when I am alone all the time.  DH almost came out of the bedroom, cause he thought I was having a converstaion with someone.  Turns out I was talking to the TV during a football game. :rofl  I have found myself talking to my Mom when I have a particular pattern and it is giving me trouble.  She doesn't answer me either.  I am toast if she does.

So set me up a bed next to you.

Beautiful day this morning and not to hot.  80 right now, but going tup to 83.  Tomorrow starts a small cool down, so it should be good for the trick or treaters.

Have a fun day.

• Haha 1

My Mom used to sing a song with the line I talk to the walls but they don't listen to me.  As I got older and cheekier my thought was it would be a much bigger issue if they started talking back since that would be the only way you truly knew they were listening.

Then at one point my brothers started saying it was OK to talk to the walls but it became serious when you started acting on their advice

• Haha 1

Walmart is remaining stubborn about not putting My Life on sale yet.

However, scored a deal on the Glitter girl doll for next year along with some camping stuff for the boy Our Generation doll.  I haven't done well by him this year, but if this arrives in time he'll even have some additional accessories for the camping gear I made for all the non-baby dolls this year. If not I expect to make the stuff again next year so it will be an outfit for him for next year.

I've never seen much for Ken in the stores but I suspect it is do to the Barbie movie I found some shoes and an outfit for Ken.  I bought shoes and the outfit for this year and to put away for next year as I have lots of shoes put away for Barbie for future donations but I've never seen shoes for Ken that didn't come on the doll.  I know years ago people had them but I haven't seen them sold as an accessory item in ages in a store.  I have never looked online. I've had trouble getting my crochet stuff to fit Ken this year.  It's the same doll as last year so clearly this is me.