2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the day to inventory BGS's amazing box as I have no appointments in the morning!!!!! I sent her a private thank you when it arrived but I've been dealing with some health stuff that has required what I've come to refer to fondly as my Humpty Dumpty team. Just when I think everything is back in place where it belongs...

I'm blessed to have found great people who can put Humpty back together I just wish the treatments would hold.

Thankfully my primary care Dr. isn't part of that team as I got notification just before my physical that she's starting a concierge practice in 2 weeks. (Tell me she didn't know months ago this move was happening and couldn't have given us all time to find a new primary?) So, I opted out of my physical and am seeking a new primary.

It is becoming more common in this area, DH lost his primary right before COVID but while I was tempted to see if we could make it work financially for DH's Dr. as she was a one in a million.  I was already looking to find a replacement for my primary so paying a membership fee for the privilege of seeing her just isn't happening. I'm not sure how common this is in the rest of the country but it's basically a membership fee to belong to the practice on top of your insurance, deductibles, copays, etc.  The fee is not covered by your insurance and it is questionable whether you can use your FSA or HSA funds to pay it either.  The one for DH's Dr was $5000/yr 3 years ago and I can only image what it is now with inflation.  The advantage is fewer patients thus more time and access to your Dr. $10,000 for a couple was a bit steep for us as I was planning on moving to his Dr when she announced she was going this way so we opted to move DH to a different primary. 

Having a free morning will give me proper time to get through it and make sure everything ends up in the proper bags to go out for the donation. 

I couldn't do this without all of your help.  This year has been a crazy one but I still think we have an amazing amount of dolls, clothing, and accessories going out to kids in need.

Lots to Love 10" Baby Doll Sweater Set

• Like 2

Chris sorry about the physical issues and Dr fiasco.  Thats happening around here also and I know there is a  Physical Therapy office doing likewise.  Its such a bummer to have to find another Dr.  They just opened a health service/Dr office on campus for those of us in independent living.  I am thinking we will try to go that route unless they dont accept our insurance. Its the same Dr. that is over Assisted Living and the Care Center. We already have Hospice and Palliative Care.  

I've used therapists that don't take insurance but you don't have to join and pay a yearly fee you pay as you go.  In some cases because you are paying cash upfront and they don't have to bill there is a discount over a similar cost if your insurance decides you aren't covered at a place that does take insurance.

It's not my favorite option but I can use my HSA to cover the costs of the services and I only pay for the services even if I do sometimes have to pay in advance for a month. I'm not paying to be a member and then paying for my insurance and any additional costs.

I know when I was looking for someone who would do aqua PT for my knee I only found one who took insurance.  Everyone else was private pay only and it was crazy expensive.  I was thrilled to find the place I'm going. I had worked with a private aqua PT years ago who was amazing and affordable but she left the business and we dropped it until my knee got really bad again.

I hope it works out with having your doctors onsite.

I have to say BGS I have no idea how you got all those blankets in the box.  It was an optical illusion as the top had blankets, then doll dresses than more blankets.  I had seen more pics of blankets so I knew somehow that there were more but until you see them, just WOW!!!

The original pics she took of the dolls and blankets are posted here.  Her pics were so awesome I'm printing them and including them in the doll clothing bags rather than retaking pics on doll models to include.  You'll see them in the year end round up pics which I still go back to because it inspires me to realize just what we complete in a year.

BGS Doll Donation 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 1 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 2 2022.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 2 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 4 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 5 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 7 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 6 2023.jpg

• Like 3

The rest of the blankies.

The dresses are amazing.  The blankets are so soft and each one is different.  The colors and styles are amazing.  I've already started putting some in the doll bags.  Any extras we have always get distributed to additional donated dolls and stuffed animals that come in without blankets.

I am so grateful.  This box is a true labor of love.  The kids are going to love this stuff.  Based on what I'm hearing the need is going to be even greater this year. 

Thank you so much.

BGS Doll Blanket 8 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 9 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 10 2023.jpg

BGS Doll Blanket 11 2023.jpg

• Like 3

Those are beautiful.  The colors are really uplifting.

I've been alternating between the baby dolls and the fashion dolls.  Oddly the smallest seems to be the easiest to finish projects for this year.  Barbie has been a stubborn girl and I have several projects that just don't seem to fit this doll.

However Chelsea has been very cooperative so another dress finished.

Chelsea Simply Bluetiful

Title comes from free pattern set.

• Like 1

Wow, so much going on! I just finished my 2nd week at my new job and I do like the people and the work, so that’s a relief.  I thought I’d take a small crochet bag to work for my lunch break, but honestly since this is an hourly job, I only take 30 minutes because I’d rather go home early that crochet a bit and stay later. 
I have a few questions!

First, where do you get the Lots to Love dolls? It almost seems like I saw them at the Dollar Tree? Maybe I’m confused and it was Walmart.

Second, (pretty sure I’ve asked this before, sorry) what size are the doll blankets? I keep forgetting about them and they seem like nice stash busters. Do they take bigger blankets for small kids? (I snuck a 2nd question in there)

And finally, and most importantly, why are Chelsea’s feet blue? Is she part Smurf? Is she having circulatory issues? 

That concierge doctor garbage is happening here too. I’m sure the doctors like that they can spend more time with patients, but the annual fees are absolutely ridiculous. My brother can afford it so he has one and loves it, but seriously? 

Edited by babypoohsmom

I don't understand the concierge Dr. concept.  Our insureance is actually thru the hospital.  It is called Bay Care and we went with this, as all myDr.'s wereon it and as it grew it included other Dr.'s.  We know the hospitals we can use and our Primary is actually a member of the plan.  The only draw back, is if the Dr. decides he no longer wants to get paid per patient, no matter what the problem is.  We have been lucky with our Primary care.  Quite confusing.

Wow Brenda, you have been one busy little beaver.  With all the blankets and such.

Chris I hope you find a new Dr. soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Wow, so much going on! I just finished my 2nd week at my new job and I do like the people and the work, so that’s a relief.  I thought I’d take a small crochet bag to work for my lunch break, but honestly since this is an hourly job, I only take 30 minutes because I’d rather go home early that crochet a bit and stay later. 
I have a few questions!

First, where do you get the Lots to Love dolls? It almost seems like I saw them at the Dollar Tree? Maybe I’m confused and it was Walmart.

Second, (pretty sure I’ve asked this before, sorry) what size are the doll blankets? I keep forgetting about them and they seem like nice stash busters. Do they take bigger blankets for small kids? (I snuck a 2nd question in there)

And finally, and most importantly, why are Chelsea’s feet blue? Is she part Smurf? Is she having circulatory issues? 

That concierge doctor garbage is happening here too. I’m sure the doctors like that they can spend more time with patients, but the annual fees are absolutely ridiculous. My brother can afford it so he has one and loves it, but seriously? 

I'm glad the new job is going well.  I always preferred a shorter lunch and getting to leave earlier.  Sadly I worked in several companies that lacked flexibility in the letting people leave by shortening breaks.  I'd much rather get home earlier than be at work for a break.

I get the Lots to Love 8" Dolls at Cr Crafts here

I haven't seen them anywhere else in a long time but they are a great size for parents who don't have lots of room.  I've also bought some and dressed them for the holidays as I have some old holiday patterns to decorate my house.

The Lots to Love 10" dolls are a moving target.  They are sometimes available at Walmart and Amazon.  I also look at school supply stores as they seem to be a popular size for daycares and early childhood programs in schools. I've used Kaplan and School Specialty stores.  I tend to buy several at once as the shipping makes more sense when I use their stores.

The Lots to Love 14 Inch Doll I get from Amazon here.

I tend to buy and store a line of dolls, especially Barbie, because they keep changing the size of the dolls so I stocked up on the fashion dolls and I will buy a new set of dolls when I run out.  I picked up Chelsea can be a Builder here and she has since been discontinued.  It was kind of an inside joke as it is a tech/trade school and the kids loved that she was in the construction trade.

She has what appears to be blue leggings and pink construction boots.  Most of the Chelsea line have color molded bottoms or tops.  This was actually better than some that aren't flat allowing you to add clothing.  The blue may not always match but better than the hard plastic that you can't put a dress over.

I believe we decided on 20" squares for the doll blankets.  As for actual blankets there is a real need for stuff like that so yes. Last year they were asking for bedding as grandparents had assumed custody in some cases and needed bedding for the kids.  I can imagine a personal afghan would be a great comfort.

The cost for the concierge is just not happening.  I have a high deductible plan so it takes time for my coverage to kick in every year. There are a number of services that aren't covered under my insurance that my primary doesn't offer that I'm currently using either HSA funds or out of pocket to improve my health.  I'd much rather spend my money on those services than having a reserved spot with my primary care physician. I respect the physicians that have made this move, its a no brainer why they'd want to go this route but it would mean cutting out the therapies that are helping me to get primary care that can't do any of the things I need.

• Like 2

The frog is adorable.  I love the face.

Lots to Love 14" Baby Sweet Little Baby Doll Romper

I have 2 patterns that are different with the same name one in "boy" colors.  The second has a sweater instead of this top but I usually just make the sweater a nuetral or girl color and throw it in with the donation.  I don't have enough "boy" patterns to really dress a boy baby doll in with same variety I have for the girl dolls with all the dress patterns.

• Like 1

Chris good to see you are back on a roll.  After what you have been telling us about the sizing with Barbie dolls and because of my great niece's arrival this spring we checked out the Barbie section at Walmart today.  They had some slender Barbies reminiscent of older ones and then the muscular thicker ones along with Chelsea and the others.  Oh for the good old days when a kid had a Barbie and all you had to do was buy Barbie clothes and they would fit.

Dropped these off today.

20230917_151158.thumb.jpg.39d54b02fcd60103ccffd833975bf393.jpg

20230831_1250302.thumb.jpg.19c329ced2330774d3161b4e2ac2ff84.jpg

• Like 3

It's why I always buy a doll for me and a doll to donate because the patterns just don't "fit" any doll.  I will be thrilled to move on from my current Barbie set as she is the worst in terms of fitting to the old and modern patterns.  The previous one I had required adjustments but at least the patterns then fit. 

I will miss this Chelsea when I run out of the Construction ones because despite her blue leggings she's a dream to dress.  The patterns just seem to fit her.  I am grateful I have a few years before I need to start over.

Wow Brenda, you must be melting your loom at the pace you are making hats!  The first one in the first picture is super fun and bright. I need to stock the bag next to my chair in the living room. I watched football for about 2 hours last night and didn’t hook a single stitch. Unacceptable! 

• Haha 1