2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

Oh Denise I am so sorry for all you have been going thru.  We were sick most of Feb.  Dh got that nasty stomach virus that is going around---vomitting and diarrhea.  I got it a few days later but not as bad.  I basically quit eating when he got sick.  I would eat half a banana and sometimes toast.  Just as I was getting over that I thought my allergies were kicking in---lots of sinus drainage and tired.  A couple days after the worst of it I decided to run a covid test ONLY because they had expired.  I was shocked to see it was pos.  Ran an unexpired one on dh and his was neg.  He had the sinus stuff, chills and ached a couple days later.  I shared my otc allergy meds and ibuprofen so he was comfortable. The stomach thing was way worse.  

I think I bought almost all the knifty knitter looms. I resisted for sometime but then one day I walked into Michaels with a coupon and  the  round set was $10.  Then they realized the biggest one was really too big for hats and next size down was too small so they made one in between.  I have used that one the most.  I have used one of the long ones to make scarves.  I had some fuzzy yarn with bumps (store clerk said the skeins felt like shredded pop bottles)  and then some ribbon yarn that made nice scarves on the loom but were awful when crocheted.

2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

The blue knifty knitter fits the 18" dolls just saying.:yes

Thanks for the info.  I had been wondering if one would work but hadnt pulled them out to try them.

• 2 weeks later...

Brenda, those shawls are so pretty. They must really cheer people up.

I finally cut two bolts of fleece I had in the garage and got 60 blankets. Kitten season is upon us and we will be ready to send kitties home with their own blanket.

AC0FF793-295A-4E9B-80A1-5D40D452EECB.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Brenda, those shawls are so pretty. They must really cheer people up.

I finally cut two bolts of fleece I had in the garage and got 60 blankets. Kitten season is upon us and we will be ready to send kitties home with their own blanket.

AC0FF793-295A-4E9B-80A1-5D40D452EECB.jpeg

Such cute blankets and what a nice gift to get with a kitty!

• Like 1

I went to a meeting today and was able to hear positive feedback in regards to the prayer shawls.  The meeting had some of the people in attendance that have handed them out.  One person had given one to someone shortly before passing away and said the prayer shawl was draped over the casket.  Sort of made me want to cry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Brenda, that is beautiful. My Dad still has one that my Mom got when she was very sick. I was told I could have it blessed and pass it along. Maybe you suggested that. But I don’t know anywhere here that does a prayer shawl program. I have no idea where Mom got hers. 

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

Brenda, that is beautiful. My Dad still has one that my Mom got when she was very sick. I was told I could have it blessed and pass it along. Maybe you suggested that. But I don’t know anywhere here that does a prayer shawl program. I have no idea where Mom got hers. 

Some churches make them and hand them out.  The first one I made was  just on my own for someone here.  Her husband had passed and her situation hung heavy on my heart.  I prayed while I was working on it that it would bring her comfort and included a note. Its not like there is a special ritual  and only certain people can bless them or at least I am not aware of it.   I had someone ask me about them because when she heard prayer shawl she immediately thought of the Jewish prayer shawls men wear to service.  I explained these were for anyone and to me it represents giving a hug to someone that needs it.   At the meeting I attended one lady said her family had one that has been passed around and it was on the third or fourth person now.   I never thought about them being passed around let alone them being reblessed.  When I turn them in my prayer is for them to  bring comfort and bless anyone that might get it.  The chaplains pray with people if they want when they hand them out.  

• Like 1

Lots of the local church ministries stopped during COVID but seem to be starting again.  Our new Church doesn't have a prayer shawl ministry but they do have a prayer ministry and I was thinking of asking if they'd be interested in some shawls.  I made some a few years back and had bought several of the themed books.  They were relaxing projects and I think they'd be something nice to have to give out to those who need some encouragement through the prayer ministry.

• Like 2

So I didn’t actually make anything…but one of the Petsmart warehouses was getting cleaned up and they found a bag of stuffies from 2021 that were never picked up from their designated charity, so our rescue got a call. We use stuffies to give to small kittens so snuggle with, but there we so many! Meanwhile, the box at work that we usually have filled with stuffed toys for the officers was empty. Find a need, fill a need. So I cut the scarves off that had the date so kids won’t know they are getting “old” toys. This is only the first half of the load they gave us. 

3D9119DE-E7FB-40EB-9B2A-D4B3B4F090AC.jpeg

FC322E70-44D5-4DF7-AA79-5F144ACD7C11.jpeg

BA13FBB0-D643-4A5B-9B2E-79D801CCDA43.jpeg

• Like 3

I did, however make this hockey hat. The Capitals are crummy this year and won’t be in the playoffs. I’ll watch them anyway but won’t have to pay too much close attention to the TV. So hopefully, I’ll get more hockey hats done. 0D073BA1-1BB0-4D2A-A571-83633F0038D1.thumb.jpeg.0941e752505f2b3e38c0d280ce6014c3.jpeg

• Like 2

One of the things I love about this thread is how it can inspire us to try stuff or go back to stuff we haven't done in a bit.

Brenda this brings me to you.  I've loved watching your prayer shawls you have posted.  The church we joined has a prayer ministry but no prayer shawl ministry.  I asked one of the woman from the ministry if she had any interest in prayer shawls and there is an interest but to date nobody in the ministry who knits or crochets.  I have some of the books I used years ago the last time I was involved with a ministry but was wondering if you have any pattern suggestions that use acrylic yarn as I'm hoping to stick to washable affordable yarn. 

I'm hoping to start off with a bunch of Caron simply Soft I've had in my stash for a bit that I've wanted to target for a while.  I have no issue with buying more for this project but wouldn't mind finding stuff that would kill some of my stash yarn as well.

• Like 2

Chris here they want the prayer shawls made of worsted weight acrylic yarn and be fairly close to 24 by 60 inches (rectangle) because they want them to be uniform in shape and size and most of them are in colors good for either sex.  We do use the more feminine colors if the yarn comes our way. They are more like blankets to wrap around your shoulders or put across your lap and not so much a shawl you would wear as an accessory.  We can use any pattern we want so I check out stitch combos, afghan and scarf patterns.  My favorite is corner to corner because I can work it to 24 inches wide and then work the length.  It works up good when you want to use up odds and ends. This yarn has all the colors in it but you see how you could use up odds and ends. 

https://www.yarnspirations.com/red-heart-crochet-corner-to-corner-throw/RHC0502-023640M.html

The c2c afghan pattern I have printed off is the blue and white one with a shell border.  I dont think that one is available anymore but imagine the ones they are offering now are made the same just different color combos and different edgings. You just have to learn how to make a rectangle instead of a square

https://doradoes.co.uk/2021/08/05/how-to-crochet-a-rectangle-using-the-corner-to-corner-c2c-stitch/

Afghan patterns from Attic24 are good.  I often do her Granny Stripe

https://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2010/07/the-granny-stripe-tadah.html

I like drunken granny

https://desertblossomcrafts.com/drunken-granny-crochet-stitch/#:~:text=Drunken Granny Stitch Written Pattern,until 3 ch are left.

I use the baby afghan pattern from this set.  On this one since you go back to add a matching edge to the beginning I sometimes make the first row the  center of the shawl and work each side out.

https://www.lionbrand.com/products/crochet-pattern-baby-set-1

Lately I have been doing this  Ridged Rainbow Ripple pattern sometimes making one blo and another working both loops.

https://rajiscrafthobby.blogspot.com/2022/06/crochet-ridged-rainbow-ripple-blanket.html?m=1

Judianne's christening blankets always catch my eye for prayer shawls and ReniC often posts different patterns that would work really well.   My problem is I dont get them printed out and I forget about them.  Its always faster and easier to do a c2c because the others I have to fiddle with by doing a row or two usually multiple times to get close to right width even if I specifically noted how many chains I used.  This is where I really appreciate Granny Square's advice on making more chains than you think you will need.

I have done v stitches, shells, rows of dc with a few post stitches.  

• Like 3

This dress (unfinished) is now done and I am trying to make a hat. Does anyone know what size the crown of the hat should be for an 18” doll? I’m trying 4” and it looks like it might work. Also off to look for an easy shawl for the outfit. B205FE6D-4FEB-49D1-8186-5DDFA52C0627.thumb.jpeg.47bf1609743d5ac02e216eb28f4e0a7d.jpeg

• Like 3