2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

On 4/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, babypoohsmom said:

I did, however make this hockey hat. The Capitals are crummy this year and won’t be in the playoffs. I’ll watch them anyway but won’t have to pay too much close attention to the TV. So hopefully, I’ll get more hockey hats done. 0D073BA1-1BB0-4D2A-A571-83633F0038D1.thumb.jpeg.0941e752505f2b3e38c0d280ce6014c3.jpeg

A very cute hat and love all those other things you shared in the other post. Great idea to cut off the date on the gifts. They will be loved and no worries about any dates on the scarves.

On 4/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, bgs said:

Turned in 2 more prayer shawls on Tues.

20230410_165424.thumb.jpg.52c1df4e4c7f20799b4271c4b464bd65.jpg

20230410_155907.thumb.jpg.159de12d5fcbc69ad9523df51b05bc6e.jpg

Two more beautiful shawls! We just started a new charity at our women's bible study called Care and Share and I might just have to make a prayer shawl. I've never done one before but you are inspiring me with all your pretty shawls.

Questions: How wide are your shawls? How many stitches do you chain to start the Attic24 granny stripe one?

Edited by RecycleCindy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RecycleCindy said:

Two more beautiful shawls! We just started a new charity at our women's bible study called Care and Share and I might just have to make a prayer shawl. I've never done one before but you are inspiring me with all your pretty shawls.

Questions: How wide are your shawls? How many stitches do you chain to start the Attic24 granny stripe one?

The shawls are 24 inches wide and 60 inches long.  For the Granny Stripe I use an H hook and my notes say chain 95, but I chain more and then pull out the extra chains after working first row. I cant count that high and the extra stitches are there if I need them to get closer to the right width.  

My favorite pattern is the corner to corner since you work until you are at the right width.  Any of the others there is a good chance I have worked a couple of rows, pulled them out and started over multiple times.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bgs said:

The shawls are 24 inches wide and 60 inches long.  For the Granny Stripe I use an H hook and my notes say chain 95, but I chain more and then pull out the extra chains after working first row. I cant count that high and the extra stitches are there if I need them to get closer to the right width.  

My favorite pattern is the corner to corner since you work until you are at the right width.  Any of the others there is a good chance I have worked a couple of rows, pulled them out and started over multiple times.  

Thanks for all the info. I want to try one soon.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, babypoohsmom said:

This dress (unfinished) is now done and I am trying to make a hat. Does anyone know what size the crown of the hat should be for an 18” doll? I’m trying 4” and it looks like it might work. Also off to look for an easy shawl for the outfit. B205FE6D-4FEB-49D1-8186-5DDFA52C0627.thumb.jpeg.47bf1609743d5ac02e216eb28f4e0a7d.jpeg

A very pretty little dress! Not sure about your doll as I don't know what doll it is. I have done some baby dolls but they were 10" crowns. 

I haven't made prayer shawls in a really long time but I'm attending a new Church and since they don't have a prayer shawl ministry but do have an active prayer ministry it seemed a good way to use my skills.  It also is a nice break for my hands to go from tiny doll hooks to the larger shawl hooks.

The last time I made these you used to be able to buy Homespun locally at Walmart.  Sadly, no more.  I experimented with Lion Brand's puzzle yarn for this one as Walmart does have it in stock locally from time to time and I found it was softer and easier to work with than the Homespun.

Rectangular Prayer Shawl Stole

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

I haven't made prayer shawls in a really long time but I'm attending a new Church and since they don't have a prayer shawl ministry but do have an active prayer ministry it seemed a good way to use my skills.  It also is a nice break for my hands to go from tiny doll hooks to the larger shawl hooks.

The last time I made these you used to be able to buy Homespun locally at Walmart.  Sadly, no more.  I experimented with Lion Brand's puzzle yarn for this one as Walmart does have it in stock locally from time to time and I found it was softer and easier to work with than the Homespun.

That turned out really nice. Maybe you will inspire others to join in.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:47 AM, Bailey4 said:

Both your prayer shawls are beautiful! This Premier Puzzle shawl in Backgammon is my favorite. I just love that colorway and your shawl turned out so lovely in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m working on a 2nd dress with the same yarn. I decided to try a J hook for the bodice  and switch to an I for the skirt. I think it will make the dress easier to get on and off. 
Also, random question. What do you guys do when large skeins get floppy in their skein/ball band but are too big to cake (because you’d have to cut it)? I find them annoying to store. I have a friend that always works from the outside of the skein. I’ve only tried it a few times and found it tedious. 0A7CDFB6-4312-43B1-ABE6-7ABF6A2F8C40.thumb.jpeg.edb8b2070c1c96540c6ac998dde73962.jpeg

• Like 1

I only work from outside if I have to.  When they get floppy I either roll into a ball or pinch the paper band in, fold, and tape it to cinch it in.  I never bothered to get a winder.

Turned in a prayer shawl this week. 

20230508_195001.thumb.jpg.25116bd6a90c23a213ca64efd5c790cd.jpg

• Like 2

Love your shawls Brenda! I wonder what Chris has been up to, she’s been kind of quiet.

I finished my second dress. Now I need a second hat and I’m still looking for a shawl pattern. I figure they can go home with two different dolls. I think I’m going to get to some lovies next. EFD68903-FCB0-48EA-9BFA-62C61B1C1883.thumb.jpeg.aeb353d1746cb6f611d34736527687cf.jpeg

• Like 2

Very pretty dresses.  Since they are for dolls, maybe you can take a regular shawl pattern and just make the pattern till it is a good size for a doll.

Hi guys, finished two more shawls I have to get pictures done.  Trying to work on adaptations for thread dress for baby doll.

Been doing more PT since car accident in April and I've started working with a trainer to build some more overall strength because I feel like I've been falling behind there. I have an appointment next week with another PT for some specialized cranial stuff.  So I have missed all of you and I do check in regularly but I haven't had much to post.

• Like 1

Chris glad you checked in.

Denise I just wing it on  rectangular shawls just plain old dc edged in sc.  You could use any stitch or stitch combo you wanted to. I like this one but it uses sport weight yarn.

This year I have been making ponchos from this pattern but shorter than one pictured at beginning of pattern.  She has shorter one pictured on page 5.

• Like 2

I have been really slow this spring but working hard on health stuff so hopefully I will be stronger on the other side of all this stuff.  This one actually got gifted to someone yesterday when I dropped it off to the prayer ministry after the service was over.

Lacework Prayer Shawl

• Like 1

Today's a crazy day.  2 different types of PT.

This was the other prayer shawl I dropped off on Sunday.  Still working on the thread dress.  I have one arm finished working on the second as the arm was wonky.  Stopped to work on another Lacework Shawl.

Double Heart Prayer Shawl

I did hit a Mary Maxim sale yesterday and they had a rose caron simply soft I haven't seen anywhere that one of the shawl patterns suggested and I wanted to find.  So while I was there I picked up 3 different types of yarn to try 3 different patterns.

• Like 1

Bailey, those are both beautiful shawls! Hope you crush whatever it is that is keeping you down a bit. I have always hated PT. I’ve had very few therapists that I thought did me any good. I hoe you are having better luck.

I am blessed to have an amazing therapist and hunted around until I found a place my insurance would cover that offers land and water based therapies.  I just keep getting injured as I start to get close to getting out.  We got rear ended in April and that shifted what I could do in PT as the prescription has to be specific. 

I started working with a private trainer that works with people who have had injuries and I'm starting to do more full body training as let's be honest there isn't any part of my body that I'd rate as overall strong.  So between the two I'm pushing to be the healthiest version of myself that I can be.  However, that takes a time commitment I've never given it before.

I've also been exploring alternate massage therapies and supportive stretching and some really basic yoga stuff.  It's just time consuming as the some of the stuff I can do remotely but most is in person so it limits my time for other stuff.  I am hoping the investment in strengthening pays off.

Bailey that’s great. I was working with a guy that was specially trained to do PT on spine injury patients, but he took a job at Rammstein AFB working with injured military. So I can’t be mad. And stretching can be life changing. When I quit gymnastics after my first spine surgery, I didn’t stretch for a couple of years. I got so tight and everything hurt. I’d recommend stretching to anyone. Start easy, but it’s amazing. 

So I’ve had a lot of stuffies that I wanted to turn into lovies. I kept “auditioning” purple yarn for this guy and rejected them for being too light or too dark or not the right shade…and today I just decided that no kid is ever going to object to the bad match of colors!! So I picked one of the purples and ta da! 6F7265F8-FDA6-40C5-A1AB-E825F5B8FEE5.thumb.jpeg.6412308fc47e67c9bbfa88fc5063a6b3.jpeg

• Like 1