2023 Boxing Day CAL ~ share your charity

babypoohsmom

I love finding old yarn skeins.  It used to happen more often prior to COVID at Church sales.  I haven't seen many of those types of sales since COVID but the yarn finds were so much fun.  I found so many cool types of yarn for the doll stuff that just isn't available today.

• Like 2

Made a little “mug rug” today. It’s about 6 x 6. Trying to think of some small items to sell at our rescue’s booth at an adoption event in November.  Not thinking necessarily for animals but for animal lovers. D9587CCB-0573-4892-89E3-22A9636E3D7F.thumb.jpeg.d73973bba986cae82c2baa81bfa0a95c.jpeg

• Like 4

Bailey, we have a Goodwill just a few blocks from my house and there is one near one of the Petsmart stores where we have cats available for adoption. Yesterday I popped into the one that I haven’t been to in awhile and there was a TON of big box acrylic and I always think it’s my duty to make sure Aunt Alice’s yarn goes to good use. I bought more than I should have. I often wonder what the original owner of the yarn did with it and if they would approve of what I’m doing with it. So far, no hauntings.
About a month ago I found a bag with two skeins in it for $3.49. The yarn inside was obviously posh at $36 per skein. I bought it because…well because! I found a friend at work that was going to give it a try. 520F9D8C-7E23-4DBF-AD61-3AAE52E5D889.thumb.jpeg.9ce953bf0b5b7da92f31cddd418b68c7.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 2

I once bought a huge sack of yarn/wool from our local thrift shop. I made 6 blankets, 1 vest, 1 hat and 2 pullovers from this yarn. It also included a bunch of crochet hooks, a bag of embroidery floss and a bag of cotton yarn. I only paid $28 for the whole sack.

Edited by YugenCrochet
Added information.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Made a little “mug rug” today. It’s about 6 x 6. Trying to think of some small items to sell at our rescue’s booth at an adoption event in November.  Not thinking necessarily for animals but for animal lovers. D9587CCB-0573-4892-89E3-22A9636E3D7F.thumb.jpeg.d73973bba986cae82c2baa81bfa0a95c.jpeg

It's really cute! I think it will be a hit.

15 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Made a little “mug rug” today. It’s about 6 x 6. Trying to think of some small items to sell at our rescue’s booth at an adoption event in November.  Not thinking necessarily for animals but for animal lovers.

D9587CCB-0573-4892-89E3-22A9636E3D7F.thumb.jpeg.d73973bba986cae82c2baa81bfa0a95c.jpeg

Oh this is super cute! A cat lover will for sure buy them.

Love the Valentine’s Day outfit. That doll looks small, I didn’t think she was an 18” girl. 
I finally weaved in the ends of my cat mat. Still working on (I’m on the 2nd box) my gifted Homespun. I have still been lucky to find some at Goodwill as well. I notice that when there are two skeins of matching yarn, the folks that bag it always put them in 2 different bags so you have to buy them both! 🤣E8E58117-9D7C-4B3F-B0CE-91DD350121AF.thumb.jpeg.d8e57f33dd514dfabb19046c8bc31f1e.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm no great photographer.  It's the My Life Doll Darski gave me several years ago when I told her I was thinking about moving to the My Life Dolls but didn't have a model to try them out and she mailed me one of hers from Canada.  I've used it as my dress model ever since to make sure the clothes fit before sending them off for the donation.

good morning all,

can finally come back and post instead of just reading what everyone is working on. Well an ultimatium went out, start moving that yarn either by making things or just plain getting rid of it ( OH MY ) although someone doesn't understand you can't be doing that constant 24/7 365,when would we get our reading in, well I could do both cause I am an audio book fanatic.

So this is what is in the works,100 butterflies for Rene's church 50/50 (4 )

wildlife birdnests 1, scarves for homeless 2 in the works so far.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Still working on Valentine's outfits for the doll donation.  I think having some holiday themed stuff is always fun.

Lil Cutesies Valentine Outfit

In a rare move for me I actually did finish off one of those cardboard thread containers making this project.  I'm finally making enough thread projects that I'm reaching the end of some of my thread and having to get new ones as there are certain colors that seem to be the most common in doll projects.

Sunshine always sleeps in the oddest positions. She’s testing the new mat. I usually wash them with 4 or 5 different loads before I send them to be used. This one had three so far and will probably be tossed in with more towels and jeans this weekend. The dryer balls help them soften too. 
Pineknott when my husband (who has been retired 10 years) starts discussing the volume of yarn and fabric I have in my collection. I tell him that 10 years after I can retire, we can address the issue, as I have literally, maybe, 5 hours a week to sew and crochet and it only takes 10 minutes to buy more. I need better balance in the acquisition vs disposition time before I’ll be bullied into getting rid of my stuff. He once said that my craft room is a fire hazard. I told him to save himself and run away! 

BB57E9C5-66D5-43C5-A50B-E374C4349E12.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Haha 4

What an adorable picture.

The problem with the stash is I do attack it every year and old stuff I didn't even know was in there goes.  The challenge is I use specific yarns up every year and keeping those in stock keeps the pile nice and high as running out is never fun.  I was giddy as a child when I finally finished off some thread this week as until recently crochet thread looked like it might become a collector's item it took so long to finish off.  Now that I've found hooks I can use I seem to actually be finishing off some of the thread I've collected and have excuses to buy more.

On another celebratory note I've finished off all the baby doll sacks needed for the 2023 donation with this last one.  This was a fun addition for this year that I'd never done before and will keep it in mind for next year as they are easy enough to make and they are a cute add on project.

16" Baby Doll Sleep Sack 2

• Like 1

12 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Sunshine always sleeps in the oddest positions. She’s testing the new mat. I usually wash them with 4 or 5 different loads before I send them to be used. This one had three so far and will probably be tossed in with more towels and jeans this weekend. The dryer balls help them soften too. 
Pineknott when my husband (who has been retired 10 years) starts discussing the volume of yarn and fabric I have in my collection. I tell him that 10 years after I can retire, we can address the issue, as I have literally, maybe, 5 hours a week to sew and crochet and it only takes 10 minutes to buy more. I need better balance in the acquisition vs disposition time before I’ll be bullied into getting rid of my stuff. He once said that my craft room is a fire hazard. I told him to save himself and run away! 

Bravo!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Loved reading your post and seeing your kitty. What a beautiful color she is and matches the mat so well.

• Like 1