2021 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

Hi everyone ♡

This week I used up 2 skeins and finished a double-strand pocket shawl for my daughter.  I also continued working on the Faith CAL and used a skein on that. I'll post pics later.

WTD +6

YTD +296

I haven't been here since Sept 5th. I've been working a lot, afternoon/night shift and sometimes 6 days a week. Not much :crocheting time, but I did make a dress and I'm working on overalls for the teddy bear. I rolled 2 skeins (+ 2) :yay .  I have a new grand niece, born Sept. 12th, a real cutie :manyheart . I hope to see all my family in Oct. for my parents 65th anniversary. There was a :2rain that knocked down some of my tomatoes, there was also a threat of frost, so I pulled up all my plants. I found some cucumbers, mini egg plants, a small pepper a few red tomatoes and lots of green tomatoes. So I made India Relish with the red/green tomatoes, I had to buy some red tomatoes, red/green peppers and onions. It's basically a piccalilli recipe that I got from my aunt (I helped her make it when I was a kid). My family :manyheart it so I'm taking it to the anniversary BBQ/party.

If it's too late to post, add this to next weeks score.

WTD: + 2   YTD: + 86

Ellie 13

5 minutes ago, Ellie 13 said:

I haven't been here since Sept 5th. I've been working a lot, afternoon/night shift and sometimes 6 days a week. Not much :crocheting time, but I did make a dress and I'm working on overalls for the teddy bear. I rolled 2 skeins (+ 2) :yay .  I have a new grand niece, born Sept. 12th, a real cutie :manyheart . I hope to see all my family in Oct. for my parents 65th anniversary. There was a :2rain that knocked down some of my tomatoes, there was also a threat of frost, so I pulled up all my plants. I found some cucumbers, mini egg plants, a small pepper a few red tomatoes and lots of green tomatoes. So I made India Relish with the red/green tomatoes, I had to buy some red tomatoes, red/green peppers and onions. It's basically a piccalilli recipe that I got from my aunt (I helped her make it when I was a kid). My family :manyheart it so I'm taking it to the anniversary BBQ/party.

If it's too late to post, add this to next weeks score.

WTD: + 2   YTD: + 86

Ellie 13

Not too late, just about to do the scores.

7 hours ago, PBLKNP said:

I managed to work through another skein!  Yesterday I was feeling sad about not being able to get out to be with people (things have gotten more restricted with the delta variant lately). I decided to check to see if our local yarn shop was still doing the outdoor open knitting/crocheting, and they were! I had a wonderful time catching up with people. 

WTD = +2

YYD = -6

:manyheart

You're really close to getting your YTD into the positive numbers. If I'm not careful mine is going into the negatives. LOL

• Like 1

I've been trying all week to find time to do two rounds of sc around a knitted baby blanket, but it hasn't happened yet. Things just keep coming up--crown was ready at the dentist; I kept 3 of the grands while the 4th got her foot xrayed after she fell out of a tree (not broken), one of the grands wanted to come over for the afternoon, etc, etc. But at least I didn't buy any yarn.

WTD 0

First of all, I had a massive influx of yarn:

Stashbuster Total: WTD  -38 YTD -44

However, it is for a sad reason.  A very good friend of mine in her mid-70s called and asked me over this afternoon because she said she had some yarn she wanted to give away.  Thinking it was an instance of her trying to offload some crap yarn she didn’t want, I went over figuring I might get a few skeins at most.  I know she’s been suffering from Essential Tremor for a while now, but with COVID and not being able to get together for ages in person, I had no idea how bad it’s gotten.  Come to find out, the reason she’s giving away yarn is because she’s giving it ALL away!  She can no longer knit with her condition.  She insisted I go through a huge bag and see what I wanted.  She’s always loved novelty yarn, which really isn’t my thing, but I did find some sock yarn, some of those large yarn cakes with those long-repeat colors, and some Plymouth Encore.  She also had some knitting and crocheting books to give away.  I suggested some of our other friends who crochet and knit, who might like the rest.  In another room, they have a bunch of stuff set up—her hubby is going to convert one of the guest rooms into a utility room, so they can move the washer and dryer upstairs.  She admitted she’s already fall down the cellar stairs twice, so she really can’t go up and down to do wash anymore.  

Mere words can’t describe the ball of energy my friend once was.  It was a complete shock to see her like this.  It just broke my heart that she can no longer knit, which she just absolutely loved.  I just wanted to cry.

12 hours ago, PBLKNP said:

First of all, I had a massive influx of yarn:

Stashbuster Total: WTD  -38 YTD -44

However, it is for a sad reason.  A very good friend of mine in her mid-70s called and asked me over this afternoon because she said she had some yarn she wanted to give away.  Thinking it was an instance of her trying to offload some crap yarn she didn’t want, I went over figuring I might get a few skeins at most.  I know she’s been suffering from Essential Tremor for a while now, but with COVID and not being able to get together for ages in person, I had no idea how bad it’s gotten.  Come to find out, the reason she’s giving away yarn is because she’s giving it ALL away!  She can no longer knit with her condition.  She insisted I go through a huge bag and see what I wanted.  She’s always loved novelty yarn, which really isn’t my thing, but I did find some sock yarn, some of those large yarn cakes with those long-repeat colors, and some Plymouth Encore.  She also had some knitting and crocheting books to give away.  I suggested some of our other friends who crochet and knit, who might like the rest.  In another room, they have a bunch of stuff set up—her hubby is going to convert one of the guest rooms into a utility room, so they can move the washer and dryer upstairs.  She admitted she’s already fall down the cellar stairs twice, so she really can’t go up and down to do wash anymore.  

Mere words can’t describe the ball of energy my friend once was.  It was a complete shock to see her like this.  It just broke my heart that she can no longer knit, which she just absolutely loved.  I just wanted to cry.

Oh, Pam, I'm so sorry about your friend. I sometimes don't crochet for weeks but I can't imagine the sadness of not being physically able to. I pray she's able to find another pastime to occupy herself.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Oh, Pam, I'm so sorry about your friend. I sometimes don't crochet for weeks but I can't imagine the sadness of not being physically able to. I pray she's able to find another pastime to occupy herself.

Thankfully, her husband, who’s a bit younger, has been very supportive, and he’s worked as a carpenter, so he’s making changes to the property to help her. She’s also in a support group (Zoom), which she’s getting a lot out of. She is looking into finding something creative she can do—as she put it, “I’m going to go nuts if I can’t do something creative.” 

I didn't get in last week, but it was 0 anyway. I got :sick on Tue. so they asked me to leave work early. I had Wed. off and I felt so bad I went to the ER. They did blood tests, EKG, CAT scan on my lungs (no blood clots) and another virus test (negative). I had a viral infection in my lungs. I was told to rest, drink lots of fluids, etc., take at least 1 day off (or 2, depending on how I felt), so I took Thurs. and Fri. off.  Thurs. I read a book and watched TV (I didn't want to get germs on my :crocheting). Fri. I felt good enough to :crocheting, so I finished the squares for the baby afghan. I'm going to work this afternoon, I hope they let me work because I'm getting bored. I used a skein, 2 balls and rolled a skein down (+ 5) :yay .

WTD: + 5   YTD: + 91   (maybe I'll get 100 before Dec.)

Ellie 13

Ellie, glad you're feeling better. Take care of yourself and don't rush it.  Yes, it definitely looks like you have a good chance of breaking 100.

I haven't gotten back to my projects yet, but it's overdue. I've got to make pattern/yarn decisions for a couple of baby blankets that need to be made before February. It may require buying yarn. They are for a boy and I have less appropriate yarn for boys than girls.

WTD 0

Scores for the week ending 10/09/2021:

Gold Medal Winner:  Ellie 13  +5

Holding Steady!  greyhoundgrandma  0 

Shoot the Moon Winner:  PBLKNP  -2

Have a great week!

I just ordered 7 skeins of yarn for two baby blankets. I ordered from Mary Maxim because I had an email about 30% off for 5+ balls of yarn. But holy cow, that just barely covered the shipping cost. Shipping was $17.45!!! I had an email for free shipping but you can't get free shipping and the discount in one order.

I'm feeling much better, just like a little cold. Sat. I asked for sick pay. It wasn't busy and I was only on a 5 hr. shift, so the store manager said take the day off. I did some shopping, needed more tissues, OJ, TP, etc. I wore a mask and tried to social distance (hard to do in a market). I'm back to work now and everything is feeling normal. This weekend I  :crocheting  4 rows of squares together and made some more pumpkin, spider and ghost pins. I used 2 small balls and rolled 1 skein down  :yay  (+ 3). Getting closer to 100 for the year.

Ellie 13

WTD: + 3   YTD: + 94

• Like 1

21 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I just ordered 7 skeins of yarn for two baby blankets. I ordered from Mary Maxim because I had an email about 30% off for 5+ balls of yarn. But holy cow, that just barely covered the shipping cost. Shipping was $17.45!!! I had an email for free shipping but you can't get free shipping and the discount in one order.

I believe that’s happened to me, too! They have you coming and going. 🤯

I'm bouncing between 3 WIPS but not making much headway because we got the word that Hubs is deploying (staying in the US thankfully) and will be gone for a long time...I've got just a few days left to get a ton of stuff handled so I figured I'd post while it was on my mind or I'd forget again...I have used 1 skein up over the past few weeks. 

WTD +2

8 hours ago, Inkked0317 said:

I'm bouncing between 3 WIPS but not making much headway because we got the word that Hubs is deploying (staying in the US thankfully) and will be gone for a long time...I've got just a few days left to get a ton of stuff handled so I figured I'd post while it was on my mind or I'd forget again...I have used 1 skein up over the past few weeks. 

WTD +2

Hope you have a chance to catch your breath soon and that Hubs has a safe deployment.

• Like 1

I’ll probably do the totals around 10:30 tomorrow morning. I managed to use up a skein this time! I’m on the home stretch with the afghan I’ve been working on. I’m also doing a crochet-along with my LYS. We’re making a Tunisian Crochet  Entralac infinity scarf.  We’ve been doing the sessions over Zoom.