CLOSED 2019 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

Mona, I have tried to make a list like that, but then I get to feeling stressed out that so much is going undone and it gets me all anxious, which is the opposite of how I want to feel about crochet....so I keep a list of projects I want to make & who they're for (mostly baby gifts), and any dates that they need to be made by instead. At this point, if I don't have the yarn I need for a project, I really should just go to the next project because this stash is getting out of control. I actually can't think of a time I've ever had this much yarn, and now I have people just randomly giving me more!

I was given some yarn by my friend's not-quite boyfriend...and it's all good stuff that I will use, in colors I like, so I can't even justify not keeping it....I'll be counting the skeins and seeing how low I'm starting this week out in a bit. On the up side, I've completed one of my really hard classes, and I'm 99% done with a second...two more weeks on the other 2 classes but with these 2 done I should have more time to hook on my hands!! Although I also have to help my mom paint her house this week, so maybe not lol....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Good morning! My name is Mona and I am an addict!

I just made a list of the projects that have yarn assigned to them and are sitting there waiting--19! And I'm sure a missed a few. Not to mention all the patterns I want to make that I don't have the yarn specifically for and all the yarn that is sitting around waiting for a project.

I fully embrace my addiction and enjoy every minute of it!

Happy crocheting!

Hi Mona! You're among friends here and this is a safe space for those with this affliction. :ghug 

We institute a 12 Step program:

• Step 1 - Admit we are powerless over our addiction - that our stash had become unmanageable
  • Step 2 - Believe that a Power greater than ourselves can restore our ability to responsibly purchase yarn.
  • Step 3 - Made a decision to turn our will over to the care of a higher non-fiber power. (Well, probably not!)
  • Step 4 - Make a complete and fearless inventory of our stash.
  • Step 5 - Admit to ourselves and to others the exact nature of our obsession.
  • Step 6 - Vow to only use our stash, with the exception of "New Grandchild" emergencies. In this instance, only the best, new yarn will suffice.
  • Step 7 - Humbly asked the higher Power to remove our shortcomings and control our impulses to purchase more yarn.
  • Step 8 - Inventory all WIPs that have been ignored and be willing to complete said WIPs. 
  • Step 9 - Make direct amends to LYS wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others and thus buy more yarn!
  • Step 10 - Continue to inventory stash. When feeling overwhelmed promptly admit it and return to this forum for additional counseling. Be willing to relinquish wallet & credit cards to a non-fiber related person. (Only in extreme circumstances)
  • Step 11 - Seek through prayer and meditation to improve our skills and keep conscious contact with other fiber enthusiasts.  Pray only for knowledge of techniques and the power to use up our stash.
  • Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we will try to carry this message to other addicts  and to practice these principles in all our fiber affairs. 

I've been on Step 1 for years! Happy crocheting!

Edited by TexasPurl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Debbie, thanks for the laugh! I imagine we have lots of good company on that first step.

Jessie, I made the list not as a "I've got to get these done" thing, but rather so I won't forget what I have. Definitely don't need any stress over it!

• Like 1

I got an email today that one of the yarns in my Mary Maxim Afghan kit is backordered until the middle of August, so I'll have a little time to try to get back into positive numbers before then.

I finished part 3 on the planet earth cal today and used up a skein...+1.

20190722_181350.jpg

23 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I got an email today that one of the yarns in my Mary Maxim Afghan kit is backordered until the middle of August, so I'll have a little time to try to get back into positive numbers before then.

I finished part 3 on the planet earth cal today and used up a skein...+1.

That's just lovely Mona!

• Like 1

Thanks, Debbie! The colors don't show well but I really like them.

I was inspired to try darski's green with envy shawl pattern. Worked on it at the doctor's yesterday and got lots of comments.

Reminder: This is the last full week of the month, so please post both your WTD and YTD scores on Saturday.

• Like 1

I went by Wal-Mart after the dentist today. Strolled by the discount bins and these felt so unloved at being marked down to $1.50 that they just jumped into my cart. I guess they aren't going to carry Bernard Pop or Lion Brand Mandala anymore, at least at this store.  -34

20190724_142613.jpg

Edited by greyhoundgrandma
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I went by Wal-Mart after the dentist today. Strolled by the discount bins and these felt so unloved at being marked down to $1.50 that they just jumped into my cart. I guess they aren't going to carry Bernard Pop or Lion Brand Mandala anymore, at least at this store.  -34

20190724_142613.jpg

Thank heaven it was not me!  I could not have left it there either.  Of course they would discontinue the Lion Brand Mandala since I decided it made the most beautiful shawls.

6 minutes ago, pineknott said:

hmmmmmm,I have to check our two Walmarts,I know how to be an enabler,Bgs

I would feel guilty for leaving it and feel guilty for buying it.   I already dont have room at the new place for the yarn I have but my niece has offered to store it for me.  Lets see I do think I could stuff 6 of those rolls in my winter boots. Hmmm-- I have a dishwasher at this place.  I am not used to having a dish washer.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Wow! So happy you were there to rescue them! 

7 hours ago, bgs said:

I would feel guilty for leaving it and feel guilty for buying it.   I already dont have room at the new place for the yarn I have but my niece has offered to store it for me.  Lets see I do think I could stuff 6 of those rolls in my winter boots. Hmmm-- I have a dishwasher at this place.  I am not used to having a dish washer.  

Hopefully it's just this one store discontinuing it. That's some creative storage ideas. lOL

Just now, greyhoundgrandma said:

Hopefully it's just this one store discontinuing it. That's some creative storage ideas. lOL

Last time I was in Walmart they only had a few rolls but had not marked them down.  I thought then oh no they are discontinuing it.  

The church knitting group was looking for :yarn , so I donated 3 skeins (+6) :yay . Wed. I went to MIchael's and got 10 Sugar & Cream cotton for potholders (-20). I needed black, but the bright pink, purple and blue wanted to come, so I had to get white to go with them :sigh. Potholders work up fast so I should be on the + side next week. I'm going to try something different this time, maybe round potholders with :) faces or flowers. With - 14 :eek, I thought I was headed to the moon, but I see somebody else can't resist a sale (naming no names ;)). I've never used that :yarn before, but at $1.50, I'd go for it too. 

WTD:  - 14   YTD:  + 70   

Ellie 13

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ellie 13 said:

The church knitting group was looking for :yarn , so I donated 3 skeins (+6) :yay . Wed. I went to MIchael's and got 10 Sugar & Cream cotton for potholders (-20). I needed black, but the bright pink, purple and blue wanted to come, so I had to get white to go with them :sigh. Potholders work up fast so I should be on the + side next week. I'm going to try something different this time, maybe round potholders with :) faces or flowers. With - 14 :eek, I thought I was headed to the moon, but I see somebody else can't resist a sale (naming no names ;)). I've never used that :yarn before, but at $1.50, I'd go for it too. 

WTD:  - 14   YTD:  + 70   

Ellie 13

Glad I could save you the trip! LOL

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

So this has been the week from a very hot place. Finals, kids, life in general...and then my father in law had a major stroke on Wednesday and the family has been pulling together to be there for him and take care of mom. 

I did get my hands on my yarn though.  I started the week being gifted by 6 skeins of really nice yarn (-12). I then used 2 balls on the Flora CAL squares, 1 skein on a granny square I just started, and 4 skeins on the dragon (+12).

WTD: 0

YTD: -73

Honestly I'm just glad to break even this week.  If I can get through this next week,  things should calm down a bit.

Scores for the week ending 7/27/19:

Gold Medal Winner: TexasPurl +3

Holding steady:

Inkked0317

MalisaMeesa

pineknott

Planning projects:

Ellie13 =14

Shoot the Moon Winner: greyhoundgrandma -30

• Like 1

July's YTD scores:

Gold Medal Winner: MalisaMeesa +363