To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2017!

judianne

I think of it like a delayed stitch. You are fundamentally doing the same things in a sc that you do in a Tunisian simple stitch but just not in the same order. In SC, You draw up a loop, pull yarn through 2 loops. In Tunisian, you draw up a loop for all the stiches and pull it through all the stitches at almost the same time. I'm approximating here a little bit. Kinda funny how just changing the order of operations can really impact the final result. The simple stitch gets a little hard to work with, what with the curling, but the purl stitch doesn't curl at all.

I get geeked out when I think about the nuts and bolts of how it all works. To quote Mr. Spock, I find it "fascinating" :lol

I took a Tunisian class on Crochetville a few years ago and I enjoyed the process, but the curling was really limiting. Guess I need to learn a few more stitches!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charis I like the scarf...pretty pattern.

My sweater is coming along. Looks like it may be big for me but I'm not starting over so if it is too big I will gift it to a family member or friend. Here is a close up of the pattern. Fairly simple but I love the open stitch.

Yesterdays progress on the shark. The recipient is 6'4" so I have a ways to go

Both projects are looking good.

What are some handmade gift ideas for men? I'm thinking of buying gift cards for birthday gifts this year, but I would like a small gift to go with the gift cards.

It depends on the men. I have made scarves and slipper socks for those who live in colder climates. I also made a golf club cover for someone who likes golf.

Wonderful work folks, everyone is just so creative....

I have never mastered Tunisian myself  OR plastic canvas LOL

ratdog.. you ae just going to have to crochet for smaller people..

I used homespun for a couple blankets years ago... they are very cozy!!

Today was a travel day so I worked on 3 squares and 2 WIP ghans....

Had dinner with a group of friends we meet with once a month  they are all older then we are  the oldest fella is 82, but he still runs a hotdog stand 6 days a week and bakes 250 pies every week that he delivers to local convenient marts  and restaurants to sell by the slice... he also bowls and sings in the church choir.... puts the rest of us to shame!

Good Morning.  Up extra early this morning.

My day will consist of putting the tote together and making the pocket.

As for gifts for men?  They elude me the same as ones for boys.

Love the dishcloth.  I am looking for one with a heart on it.  I saw one, but in order to get it, you have to join.  It was bobbles.

Well, I hear some stirring in the other room, so DH is up and it is time to get the day started.

Hugs to all :hug . :ghug  :hug 

Thanks Mary Jo. I just hope DD likes it. It took me longer than I expected to make it, and it didn't turn out exactly the way I envisioned it. I forgot to mention that there is a clip to hold her keys inside too.

I think its wonderful!!! I know she will love it!!! great job!

Good Morning

I started the pocket for the tote last night.  I hope to get it done today, if not tomorrow then.  I hope to be back to my afghan by Saturday.

Wow something to hold the keys.  That is a great idea.  Mine have a tendency to hide in the bottom of my bag.

Here is DDs birthday gift, it has three outside pockets and five pockets inside.

Cindy, that is so pretty! And the fact that it's very practical makes it invaluable!

How long has your friend been down here?  I have a snowflake and a granny square one that are made with 4 ply ww Red Heart Yarn.  There are days that DH uses both of them.  It can get cool and depending on what part of Florida this person lives, depends on how cold it can get.  70 for us is sweatpants and long sleeve shirts.

Greyhoundgrandma, I love that afghan it is really pretty.

My friend's grand-daughter is the one having the little baby boy--I think she was born in Florida.  They live in Ocala.  I've already finished the lighter weight one and decided to send it to Ocala, and give the heavier one to someone here in Vincennes.  Despite the weather we're having right now (70 degrees tomorrow!!!) we usually have fairly cold winters--at least 30 or below for a couple of months!

Forgot to report that I took 2 completed prayer shawls to Hospice this afternoon.  And at our Friday meeting of our Froggers Crochet Club, I almost got two other shawls finished for later delivery.  So, at the moment, I'm feeling rather productive!  (breaking my arm, patting myself on the back!!!)

Good Morning Everyone.

Avon Lady, your friend is 2 hours north east of me and we are in the 60's at night and the 70's during the day.  By Tuesday we will be in the 30's and 40's at night.  We do get cold and they get colder than us.

Anyway, I am sure they will love the one you sent.

You are really busy and great on the 2 shawls for Hospice.  That is one great organization.

The tote is done and I hope to have pictures soon.  Right now my photographer is down with a bad back, so I may have to take them myself.  :rofl 

Everyone have a great day and Hugs all around. :hug  :ghug  :hug 

I can only add a Christmas ball cover for my calendar lists. But last week was busy and I didn't have much time for crocheting. 

I want to make Crocodile Stitch Booties - another return to the past for me  ;)  My friend's son was born on Jan 12th and I think the booties are always appreciated. Another thing I haven't been making in ages. Like my clothespin angels.

Advent calendar - kids:

1. mini sock

2. snowman ornament

3. elf ornament

4. first shepherd for Nativity (mom shepherd)

5. child shepherd

6. a candy cane

7. heart photo frame

8. snowflake photo frame

9. Christmas ball in pink

Advent calendar - "adult"

1. mini sock (2x)

2. thread bell (2x)

3. snowflake photo frame 

4. oval photo frame

5. heart photo frame

6. thread bell - pattern #2 (2x)

7. Christmas ball lacy cover

What are some handmade gift ideas for men? I'm thinking of buying gift cards for birthday gifts this year, but I would like a small gift to go with the gift cards.

Ear covers, hats, scarves, cozies for cups or other things. You can do any of those in sport team yarn and it will actually get used! LOL

do a men search on ravelry, people come up with all sorts of things.

For little boys, I stick with amigurimi or cold weather gear.

I took a Tunisian class on Crochetville a few years ago and I enjoyed the process, but the curling was really limiting. Guess I need to learn a few more stitches!

Oh yeah! The more I play around with it, the more interesting I find it. The reason for the curling is that you are basically doing a front post stitch and there is nothing to anchor it to the back, it isn't as balanced as a normal crochet stitch. Also, you can't just do one stitch on the whole thing, I think you have to alternate and then it works. I need to experiment more with other types of stitches but with the purl stitch the sequence was , purl, simple stitch, purl stitch simple stitch, and so on.

You guys are doing great!  I worked on the CAl this week and finished everything for this week, did a bunch of  squares for the memory  care gahns and did a bit on cross stitch project...

feeling like despite eberythign I am making great progree on my Jan. goals

This thread is like inspiration and therapy for me  :D  Yesterday I posted info that I can only add one ornament to my list, then I sat with my hook and made two lace pineapple ball covers at once!  :lol  And a heart!

Yay for progress updates!!

That's what we're here for...

The purple and black ghan I made is in the donate pile. DH loves how soft the Homespun squares are and wants us to keep that on - to the point where he went to Michaels with me to get a bit more yarn to make it bigger :faint

Archived