To Encourage Everyone in Making Gifts for 2017!

judianne

Good Morning.

I have about a 3rd of my afghan done.  I have to take pictures and show you the graph.  I am hoping to make an angel doll to go with it.

Glad to see new Crocheter's here.  Like Lea said we are great cheerleaders.

Off to work on my afghan.

Hugs to all. :hug  :ghug 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! After reviewing videos and articles it appears I need to go back to square one. I was taught to start with a hard knot...looks like a slip knot is the correct way to start. Also apparently just wrapping the yarn around your index finger isn't the best way to control tension. Plus I need to practice getting gauge right. So I think my sweater will wait for a bit while I practice on easier projects. wonder if there is a charity that wants dishcloths?? Can I make dishcloths out of 100% acrylic yarn?

I'm in! Still finishing my scarf to DH. We exchange gifts on Kings Day. Can't wait!

Thanks! After reviewing videos and articles it appears I need to go back to square one. I was taught to start with a hard knot...looks like a slip knot is the correct way to start. Also apparently just wrapping the yarn around your index finger isn't the best way to control tension. Plus I need to practice getting gauge right. So I think my sweater will wait for a bit while I practice on easier projects. wonder if there is a charity that wants dishcloths?? Can I make dishcloths out of 100% acrylic yarn?

Yeah, fitted garments are hard! I still won't touch those! I tried a fingerless glove and frogged it, it was terrible.

I would do baby blankets or scarves to start. You can donate them too!

Dishcloths are better made with cotton. The cotton is sturdier than acrylic. Cotton is interesting to work with as well because it really doesn't have much stretch or give as acrylic does. Totally different feel.

when I do dishcloths I donate to any of the Fisher Houses across the country, these ar elike Ronald McDonald houses for families of wounded veterans, RMH are great too, also halfway houses for recovering addicts and homeless men and women, battered women houses, local red cross for families who have lost their homes, group homes for mentally challenged adults... OR make a stack and tie a ribbon around them and keep them in the gift closet... they make wonderful last minute gifts for birthdays, hostess , mothers day... arbor day ..LOL

I really like the gift for a co-worker.  That is adorable.

Just a thing you can try.  Put your yarn thru a ring, then put the ring on your finger.  It does at times help with tension, especially with acrylic.

LOVE the cute mason jar covers! What a great idea!

Since I only have acrylic yarn with me (the cotton is for the sweater I will eventually make) maybe I will make scarfs instead of dishcloths to practice. Thanks for the tips...I will try them to find out what works for me.

Never thought about donating to a Fisher house or McDonald house - both are good ideas.

Hi, peeps!

I just started crocheting in Nov. My goal for crocheting is make things that are useful to me and others. We've been given many afghans from my MIL - she is the one that taught me to crochet - so we don't need afghans and I am focusing on other items.

My first project was a cup coozie that turned into a cute stocking for the a tree ornament when I made it way too tight. Next project was a scarf for me that works well but isn't consistent on width...improving though! 3rd project was a set of baby booties for a cousin that turned out very cute and they were even the same size! Then I started a bag that I didn't get finished before leaving home for an extended trip to Mexico so that will get finished in April. Oh, and I made a scrubby rag for my Mom - that was actually fun.

Today while hubby was driving toward Mexico I tried to start on a sweater (easy pattern, not beginner so a step up on difficulty) but didn't get very far. I quickly learned that gauging is important and mine was way too loose. If I finished based on the first try that thing would have been twice as wide as me! Frogged the project and will start again tomorrow starting with a gauging square. Frustrating though because i am really going to have to tighten up the stitches and I'm not sure I can get them tight enough. We will see.

I would like to start crocheting items to donate to charities and I want to continue making useful things for family and friends, but I want my projects to look good - consistent, sized correctly, etc. So, I am practicing on items for myself until they start looking good. I know I am excited about a new hobby right now so it is easy to make time to crochet. I am joining this discussion because I am sure as I try to improve, frustration will set in and I will need cheerleaders. Thanks in advance!

I see you already got great advice! And kuddos to you for making the baby booties that are the same size! After 40 plus years of crocheting I still have to make three to get a pair that are the same size  :lol  :lol  And as everyone said, never hesitate to ask for help - we were all beginners once!

I finished the hat for my son.  Just need to remember to take a picture of it.  Do I update my original post or how does this work? 

Any way you want - editing or a new post. I never have hard and fast rules about things like that!

Potholders and dishcloths are always cotton. They don't melt in extreme heat, for one! Cheap Bernat handicrafter is good - big skein, so it has lots to play with.

Happy hooking!

Cindy, sewing a tote bag for a gift is a great idea. I think you once mentioned you have a bit of a fabric stash...

A bit of a fabric stash is probably a slight understatement. However, my nephew and his wife just had a baby boy on Monday, so I might make some baby stuff. Maybe shoes. Those are quick and easy.

This is a small throw I made for DS's office. He's a chiro and sometimes the patients get chilly as they are resting on the table receiving passive treatments.

The color is Grey Heather RHSS.

post-8552-0-45446000-1483542354_thumb.jpg

Very pretty afghan Judy.  Nice of you to think of the patients.

Well, I thought I would show you the graph I am using for the girl's afghan for the American Legion.  It is suppose to be c2c, but I am making it like a regular one.

post-105-0-12487600-1483543990_thumb.jpg

I am a little over the flowers at this point.  I have added 5 stitches each side and 5 rows on the top and bottom.

Have a good day everyone a big hugs all around. :hug  :ghug 

Oh wow, you are busy! :)))

ratdog, the jar covers are great!

Mary Jo, I keep my fingers crossed for your afghan, I'm sure it will be fantastic!

I'm done with a bull for my Nativity, so I can proudly say I made 3 animals until now! Yesterday i ordered some wooden figures (just the cone and the head on top) , so it will be easier to make more figures (I still need shepherds and kings).

Yesterday I came up with the idea of making an Advent calendar… I made the list of items I should crochet… When they're ready, I'll pack them and someone will open one box everyday in December. I think all the "gifts" will be Christams tree ornaments and last three will be Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus. I guess I should make 3 sets (= 3 calendars = 72 ornaments) BUT let's say my goal is JUST ONE. And if I like it, I can make more.  :D

I'm done with a bull for my Nativity, so I can proudly say I made 3 animals until now! Yesterday i ordered some wooden figures (just the cone and the head on top) , so it will be easier to make more figures (I still need shepherds and kings).

Yesterday I came up with the idea of making an Advent calendar… I made the list of items I should crochet… When they're ready, I'll pack them and someone will open one box everyday in December. I think all the "gifts" will be Christams tree ornaments and last three will be Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus. I guess I should make 3 sets (= 3 calendars = 72 ornaments) BUT let's say my goal is JUST ONE. And if I like it, I can make more.  :D

Talk about being busy.  That is a lot of ornaments.  Boggles my mind.

Great on the bull. 

MJ,  I can't wait to see the finished product!

Judy, GREAT idea about the ghan..

WOW Anna, good thing its only Jan :lol

Got a hat and 5 squares done today while we were on the road...

We actually saw a car chase, pretty exciting.. no one was hurt which I am thankful for..

Have my bag packed for car crochet tomorrow, working on squares , dinner with the youngest and his wife... then.. maybe snow!

I have the purple GS ghan (for me - unless someone needs it...lol) that's getting a border right now. Will post a pic when it's finished!

Have a good day, ladies!

Started a new scarf yesterday with a new pattern. Checked gauge first (for the 1st time) and had to go to a smaller hook than the one listed on the pattern. This is a beginner pattern with 167 chains (length of the scarf) then dc on row 1 and then alternate dc using front loop one row and back loop the next row. The last stitch on each row uses the top loop. Seems pretty easy and will give me practice with dc.

Not that it will really make a difference, but I'm assuming the front loop is the one nearest me and the back loop the is one furtherest from me on the top two loops?

Wow...that is a huge project! Good luck....sounds like a great gift!

MJ,  I can't wait to see the finished product!

Judy, GREAT idea about the ghan..

WOW Anna, good thing its only Jan :lol

Got a hat and 5 squares done today while we were on the road...

We actually saw a car chase, pretty exciting.. no one was hurt which I am thankful for..

Have my bag packed for car crochet tomorrow, working on squares , dinner with the youngest and his wife... then.. maybe snow!

Looking forward to the day when I can work on things in the car. I tried at the beginning of this trip and I have to concentrate so much on what I am crocheting that I end up botching my navigation job because I am paying no attention to where we are. He drives, I plan and do the navigating.

And here they are: the donkey and the sheep. I don't know if the sheep is too big or the donkey too small, but they are almost the same height :))) Probably the sheep ate too much :)

attachicon.gif20161226_122619-1.jpgattachicon.gif20161226_122627-1.jpgattachicon.gif20161226_215842-1.jpgattachicon.gif20161226_215808-1.jpg

Love it!

I want to crochet a nativity scene this year also

Here is my bull for the Nativity. When my daughter saw it, she said: Mom, now make a cow too, please  :lol

post-30828-0-94713500-1483645047_thumb.jpg  post-30828-0-31098400-1483645062_thumb.jpg

Today I got the package of wooden figures I ordered so I can start shepherds' and kings' production  :clap

post-30828-0-60514200-1483645147_thumb.jpg

And I started Advent calendar gifts. They are mini stockings. It looks like I started all 3 calendars at once…  :)

post-30828-0-16443500-1483645418_thumb.jpg

Archived