This might be fun, where do you shop?

Thought it might be interesting if we all posted here on this thread where we shop in our towns, for instance, where do you buy your groceries???? We can then compare to see all the stores we might, or might not have that others don't, and so on.....

I will list what grocers we have here,and where i mostly get groceries,  and you all can post your list, I won't count natural food stores, simply cause I don't patronize them much, or specialty stores, like butcher shops and drug stores, but where I go most often, when I am out of milk, or cat food, lol LIsted then, in popular order first here is my list, please follow if you like, and lets learn how the other half shops!!
In Omaha, Ne. I frequent these grocery stores..

1. Bag and Save

2. No Frills

3. Super Saver

4. Bakers Supermarket

5. Faremont Foods

6. Aldi's    (hardly ever though)

I didn't list places like Target or walmart or Sams,  cause i seldom buy groceries or food at either one of those places.....Ok, your turn, how many will we have in common?????

My first choices are Kroger and Super 1 Foods. 

I have a Walmart across the street and don't go there often, but if I need a few things I might stop late after work. Kroger is too far out of the way for that, though they are a 24 hour store, and I sometimes do large shopping there after work. That's a real pain though, because that late it's all self check and there just isn't room in the bagging area for a cartful of groceries.

I used to go to Brookshire's occasionally, but it's very rare that I do now.

We do most of our grocery shopping at Wal Mart; it's close, saves us money, and is the only place that is open when we have a chance to go shopping. (Because of roomie's work schedule we tend to shop at 1-2 am.) There's also a Save A Lot and a Piggly Wiggly close by though that we'll go to if we just need to pick up one or two things (and at a "normal" hour) rather than do a full grocery trip, since they're closer than the Wal Mart. 

Where I used to live in the Pittsburgh area it was similar; Wal Mart was a frequent choice due to proximity, prices, and store hours that fit with our schedules. But we'd go to Sam's Club sometimes to stock up on non perishable items and cleaning supplies, stuff like that. A couple other grocery stores in the area we'd go to were Foodland, Shop N Save, Save A Lot, and Aldi's. 

We usually grocery shop at Kroger's. Wal-Mart has better prices on cat food and a few other things, but not on most stuff. There's an Aldi's, but it's out at the mall and not somewhere I usually go. We do have a Riesbeck's, Family Dollar, Mor for Less (Ohio side) Save a Lot (WV side, same chain) Big Lots, Family Dollar and Dollar General (Powhatan just got one not long ago and that's really handy because we don't need to go through the crazy traffic.) I actually get a lot of rice, beans and other stuff like that from Dollar Tree or Dollar Zone Plus.

We don't have any of your list. We have a Walmart  close but I hardly ever go there. I mainly went to Public but they just built  a new one and I don't like it at all. Now I go to SweetBay which seems to have more customers now too. Maybe they don't like the new Public either . Sometimes I go to Winn Dixie if I just need a few things as it's close to home.. My husband likes Save a Lot and goes there often but I don't . I go to Big Lots often but not for groceries.

I usually shop at Waldbaums, Best Yet, Walmart, even Dollar Tree. It is only me so I don't need a lot at one time but I do check out sales and stock up on non-perishables. Sometimes CVS or Walgreens have great sales.

LI Roe

Only have Walmart and Kroger's in my small town so I tend to shop there for quick need items.  With gasoline is a bit costly to drive out of town I only do major grocery shopping once a month.  But, on payday, when I do most of my shopping, I try to shop at independent stores like Troyer's Market and The Hatchery.  There are a couple of Farmers' Markets close by that are open through November so I buy produce there and some very good meat markets a little farther out in the country where I stock up on meat for the freezer.  They have cage free chicken and grass fed beef.  It's a little pricey but makes me feel better that these animals had a decent life at one time. 

Interesting how regional the answers are.  So far the only matching names around here are bigger chains (Walmart, Target, Big Lots, Dollar Tree) and Ray's, but I suspect Lil Mama must live 'in the woods' in OR or CA because I know Rays is a local market chain.  Although there's a Ray's, Walmart, and Safeway closer to me, I do most of my grocery shopping at Winco -- also local to Pacific northwest-ish area.

If it was up to me I'd do all my shopping exclusively at Joann, Hobby Lobby and Michael's (LOL) but unfortunately, they don't have groceries and the closest one to me is 75+ miles away. So, I shop at Safeway, infrequently at Smith's (owned by Kroger's now and liked it better when it was the original Smith's) and once in a blue moon Wal-Mart. Not too many shopping advantages here.

wow, those are quite a variation, I knew it was different state to state, but thought we'd have a lot more stores in common, lol We used to have a safeway here, they went out, and a hinky dinky, also gone. I remember a Shaver's when I was a kid, and a a and p, my mom went to now and then.. Amazingly different, aren't we all!! lol

My first choices are Kroger and Super 1 Foods. 

I have a Walmart across the street and don't go there often, but if I need a few things I might stop late after work. Kroger is too far out of the way for that, though they are a 24 hour store, and I sometimes do large shopping there after work. That's a real pain though, because that late it's all self check and there just isn't room in the bagging area for a cartful of groceries.

I used to go to Brookshire's occasionally, but it's very rare that I do now.

We have a few grocery stores up here, we have Hannafords, Shaws and Save Alot.  I rarely go to Shaws, I find them too expensive.  I shop at Walmart for almost everything we eat or need, then Save Alot when they have a good sale.  We also have CVS, RiteAid and some small grocery stores.  Dollar Store is one of my favorite places to go too!!  Ours has food and a freezer section with foods.

It is funny how stores vary from state to state!

• 2 weeks later...

I usually buy groceries at WalMart, Aldi's or Tops. Tops bought out our P & C, then promptly put the prices up. They of course, have the most convenient location, but the highest prices in our area.

wow, as far as i can gather then, save a lot was mentioned more than once, walmart, and aldis, and various dollar stores, does anyone have A and P, or does anyone shop Target for food and other things????/

Didn't A&P go out of business?  We had one here--many years ago.  My hubby and I shop mainly at JayC, which was a local store bought out by Kroger, ( a similar situation as Smith's--I liked the old store better!) and Save-A-Lot, and Dollar Tree.

Williamson Street Co-op when I have the money, Copps or Hyvee in a pinch, but mostly at either Woodman's or Trader Joe's.

We do the bulk of our shopping at Costco.  They have the best prices on meat, olive oil and other things that we go through rapidly.  In between Costco visits, I shop at Food Lion if I can, and Walmart when I must.  Typically, I do a Walmart run when we run out of shampoo, soap, or other things of that nature.  It's cheaper that Walgreens or CVS.  There are also specific items that I can only buy at the other two grocery stores, so when I want a specific tea, noodles, or other odd item, I go to Lowe's Foods or Harris Teeter.  Both are rather expensive, but worth the price for the items I want.  

Bonjour katyallen,

Nice question yiou have asked.

Because often when I see what some creative models crocheted by stylists

, and what beautifull and expensive yarn they use,

and so many different yarns,so many differnt colors : I envy them, ...

my problem is that I am not economically rich ....

so I cannot buy all the colored yarn I wished for what I dream to crochet.

I buy cheap yarn,

and also yarn from Emmaüs :

sort of sales for recycling and second hand stores very popular in Europe,

even the Bourgeois love to buy there, it is very cheap..it depens what you can find from one day to the other.

The yarn they sell was given by closing shops, or by knitters who stopped knitting.

So I crochet with the yarn I receive from neigbourgs or friends,

from the red cross of my village,

, Emmaüs , les Petits Riens, la Croix-Rouge,

or buy it very cheap in second hand stores .

In the end I have a very nice collection of many different yarns , different colors...

I should try to create my own colored flower shawl or this sort of plaid.

some times when I have a little money ahead of me, I go to the Capital Brussels in a modern fashion store who sells yarn,

I buy nice yarn...but allways the cheapest  one,

sometimes I buy it from a big store when they have  yarn sale...

but mainly I try to receive yarn,

or buy it second hand,

those yarn from second hand stores are clean, they have never been knitted nor crocheted,

but the personns give them away  for free.

sorry for my poorly English.

I reallly envy those who can buy very good quality yran, because then what they crochet is allways beautifull and the quality shows ,.

I enjoy so much crocheting, so anyway I am happy with what I can make with what i can buy or what I receive.

Merci for this very intressting topic

FleurBelge

Hi, FleurBelge!

Your English is pretty good (which means it is easy for us to understand! ;) ), so don't worry about posting here!  We welcome you!  I too am a retired lady who only buys the cheapest yarn I can find, whether it's from a rummage sale, or from a second-hand store!  I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center, and we send afghans to Veterans' hospitals, prayer shawls to our local Hospice (A Grief/Bereavement Group), and hats and scarves to various hospitals and community groups, so we depend a lot on donations from people who want to get rid of their yarn!  We very seldom get any yarn that is expensive, even in donations, and we never use wool yarn, because too many people are allergic to wool.  Anyway--I can really relate to your situation!  I'm glad you have joined the "Ville!!  :yes 

Oh ! Merci Avon Lady ,

So sweet of you to welcome me and reassure me.

But I make so many writting mistakes, so sometimes I feel unconfortable for not typing correctly.

You are a very busy senior lady, and generous also.

I admire your enthousiasme to help others.

We will surelly exchange other conversations together, with joy!

Good crochet to you

FleurBelge

Hi, FleurBelge!

Your English is pretty good (which means it is easy for us to understand! ;) ), so don't worry about posting here!  We welcome you!  I too am a retired lady who only buys the cheapest yarn I can find, whether it's from a rummage sale, or from a second-hand store!  I teach a crochet class at our local Senior Center, and we send afghans to Veterans' hospitals, prayer shawls to our local Hospice (A Grief/Bereavement Group), and hats and scarves to various hospitals and community groups, so we depend a lot on donations from people who want to get rid of their yarn!  We very seldom get any yarn that is expensive, even in donations, and we never use wool yarn, because too many people are allergic to wool.  Anyway--I can really relate to your situation!  I'm glad you have joined the "Ville!!  :yes 

I live north of Boston (30 min. bus trip) so I only know a few of the stores listed. For food we mostly have Market Basket, Stop+Shop and Shaws around here. Walgreens, Walmart, Dollar Tree are good for other stuff. I go to Michael's or A.C. Moore in the city for yarn/craft stuff.

Ellie 13

Save-a-Lot is my main grocery stop. (I am in love with the Bramley's preserves.) Most of my supplies and maybe a bit of food come from Dollar General if they have better grocery prices on an item or two. Rarely will I go to Walmart for food or supplies unless it's something I can't get at Save-a-Lot or Dollar General, and I absolutely will not by my meat from Walmart. I've had to shop Publix and Bruno's before when I didn't have a Save-a-Lot or Walmart nearby and we didn't get to eat as much. Publix is expensive! Not for a struggling family.

Most of my crafting and supplies comes from Walmart. Every few months I'll make the long drive to Hobby Lobby since Walmart doesn't have a big selection, or just order it from random places online since the shipping can cost about the same amount as gas would to drive around.

Archived