Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I pronounce it like you do, Katy, and I like Kraft first and Best Foods second.  I hated it as a kid, but now I love it.  Go figure.

I am so busy with crocheting!  I'm testing, as usual, but I'm also creating my own things and then forgetting to write them down :lol I need more hours in the day to make everything I've been dreaming up.  I have to at least remember to take pictures.  It doesn't happen often.

I hope Kuddles returns to the fold soon.  It's so strange not to read anything from her.  I do lurk here.  I just do it on my phone more, and I hate trying to post via my phone.  It is not so easy.  I'm working on my puffy for my secret Santa giftee.  I hope she likes it!

How is everyone?  I hope you're all keeping warm.  It's finally raining in Southern California!

Hugs,

Me

Hello everyone... So I read the first post and some pages of this very long thread but am uncertain how to join if I decided I wanted to and what I should be doning? Sorry for being my usual daft self ;)

Hello everyone... So I read the first post and some pages of this very long thread but am uncertain how to join if I decided I wanted to and what I should be doning? Sorry for being my usual daft self ;)

Welcome! No question is a wrong question here. To join, you message katyallen8090 and give her your name, address, and square preferences. That means that you tell her what size you would like and also what color, fiber, and any other preferences. Aside from that, we like to chat here and send squares to others on the first page. You pick someone, make squares according to their preferences, and either message them directly or Katie to get their addresses. It's that simple :lol

Trbble we would love to have you join us. 

i pronounce it May ah naise. or mayo.  I use more Miracle whip then Mayo. ( I actually bought Mayo cause it was my daughters boyforiend that wanted it. So we bought Generic

yes we are a chatty bunch, aren't we, lol welcome, and do join, see below message.

Welcome! No question is a wrong question here. To join, you message katyallen8090 and give her your name, address, and square preferences. That means that you tell her what size you would like and also what color, fiber, and any other preferences. Aside from that, we like to chat here and send squares to others on the first page. You pick someone, make squares according to their preferences, and either message them directly or Katie to get their addresses. It's that simple :lol

And Hey Tribble,

thanks angel for fielding that so nicely, come on in and join with us, for the birthday bash Tribble, just pm me name, addy, and color and size of squares, and your birth month, as we are going to shower our birthday people with squares if possible, lol

quick question, silly one, what mayonaise do you get, part two of question,

how do you pronounce mayonaise, ma yo nays,,,,,or man aise, just curious folks, random thought escaped! my apologies early, lol

I say man aise and I use Hellmanns. 

Welcome to the group.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes about my tooth issue. 

Katie, I will PM you, I want to stay in the group so I can send squares but I'm not collecting right now.

I finished my Christmas shopping today except for some stocking stuffers which I will pick up when I go to Walmart and the dollar store. I started on the scrub tops for my daughter this evening, I think the pattern I'm using this time will be easier than the last one I used. I'll post pics as I finish them.

Guess thats about it for now. Talk to you tomorrow.

Good evening. :)

So last night i was leaving work @11pm and had a bad coughing spell leaving the parking lot. I did not hit anyone, but i did hit the curb pretty dang good, an blew my tire out. I pulled into a well let parking lot next to where I work and waited for AAA to put my spare on. I was in tears :( but we got it fixed today. My DH was quite upset when i called him last night as he was thinking the worst.

Oh Carol so sorry about the tooth.  If the rough part bothers you a lot they sell dental wax along with the teeth products at most stores.  I put it on my braces in places where they rubbed on my lip too much.  

Welcome Tribble79

Katy what do you mean you might not collect squares your birthday month?  You are not going to throw them away should someone send them that month are you?   

Kuddles  :waving  :waving glad you are okay

yes we are a chatty bunch, aren't we, lol welcome, and do join, see below message.

And Hey Tribble,

thanks angel for fielding that so nicely, come on in and join with us, for the birthday bash Tribble, just pm me name, addy, and color and size of squares, and your birth month, as we are going to shower our birthday people with squares if possible, lol

Thanks so much for the invite! But I don't want to join until I figure out what size i am going to need. Indeed I have never made any squares before (very new - only crocheted a dog sweater that looked beautiful but was way too bulky for my poor little chihuahua!). The sweater is the only think I have ever crocheted. Plus I want to make sure I can make the squares look decent before I go sending out any that look terrible!

I'm loving it here thanks for being so welcoming!!

I usually call it mayo and I will eat any brand except for kraft (might as well be miracle whip!) Hubby doesn't like mayo but eats instead miracle whip which I hate.  If I say the whole word I pronounce it manaise.

So last night i was leaving work @11pm and had a bad coughing spell leaving the parking lot. I did not hit anyone, but i did hit the curb pretty dang good, an blew my tire out. I pulled into a well let parking lot next to where I work and waited for AAA to put my spare on. I was in tears :( but we got it fixed today. My DH was quite upset when i called him last night as he was thinking the worst.

I'm so glad it was just a tire! I'm sure your hubby had a minor heart attack when he got your phone call but I'm sure he was glad to know it was just the tire! Thank goodness for AAA! 

Thanks so much for the invite! But I don't want to join until I figure out what size i am going to need. Indeed I have never made any squares before (very new - only crocheted a dog sweater that looked beautiful but was way too bulky for my poor little chihuahua!). The sweater is the only think I have ever crocheted. Plus I want to make sure I can make the squares look decent before I go sending out any that look terrible!

I usually call it mayo and I will eat any brand except for kraft (might as well be miracle whip!) Hubby doesn't like mayo but eats instead miracle whip which I hate.  If I say the whole word I pronounce it manaise.

Tribble, we'd love to have you when you feel ready! Check out some YouTube videos for a granny square. They're probably the easiest to figure out at first. You can even just crochet a block to try out stitches and that could be a square! Lion Brand has patterns and www.crochetpatterncentral.com has a TON to pick from. And also... EW Miracle Whip! Lol! 

More quality time with the Peanut today, no grocery store and no chores around the house. Oh well. I figure babies aren't babies forever and the cleaning up will ALWAYS be here waiting for me! I really need to get started tomorrow though because Christmas won't stay away just because I haven't cleaned house. And I really want to get my tree set up and my mantle done! 

Well, off to work on a crocheted "belt buckle" for Peanut's Santa pants and his booties and white squares for drgnldy! Gotta get those done and out too! Hope everyone has a good evening! 

yarn monkey gave you some nice starting points tribble, none the less, we are pleased if you would like to come in and visit us too, so either way, welcome!  You don't have to send out squares, to receive some if you are collecting, on our birthday bash, so keep that in mind, and let me knowl...

Lacey, thank goodness you are ok! I had visions of your head going through a windshield, sheesh girl, glad you are fine, and tires can be replaced, heads, not so much!!

I'm sorry Immafreek. I hope you are better today. Lots of hugs going your way.

katy sent you a pm.

I'm working on my secret Santa stuff. I really am. Is there a day we are opening it together or just when it comes in?

Oh that is such a cute idea sandra, lol you are full of such good ideas!!

Oh Carol so sorry about the tooth.  If the rough part bothers you a lot they sell dental wax along with the teeth products at most stores.  I put it on my braces in places where they rubbed on my lip too much.  

Welcome Tribble79

Katy what do you mean you might not collect squares your birthday month?  You are not going to throw them away should someone send them that month are you?   

Kuddles  :waving  :waving glad you are okay

lol, well, I meant I might have all my ocean squares by then,, lol but i have never, ever, ever never, declined a square for any reason, lol

Ms.Bgs, you are going to join the birthday club thing, aren't you, for those of us maybe not collecting squares, a happy birthday month card would be welcome, am I right!!! and you do so much for all of us, gives us a chance to show our appreciation for you, and those others, that don't collect, but still send out ok ok, nuff said,you're in, ok fine!

if she is lurking, hi kuddles....miss ya 

well, tribble, i gotta say, I don't much know a diff between mayos, I like the tangyness of the hellmans real mayo , and for some things,I like the creaminess of miracle whip, so, we keep two jars also, lol

I think back sometimes, to when I first learned or taught myself actually from a readers digest book on crochet , how to do a granny.( grandma taught to knit at an early age, I didn't learn crochet till in my 30's maybe..) anyway, I just could not get how they wanted me to do the corners!!

After hours and days of trying, I figured it out. And  now that I am a seasoned crocheter, lol, I realize there are many ways to accomplish the same thing, many ways to do corners, when way back then, I was just happy to figure out the way the book wanted me to do it!! When I finally did, I couldn't be stopped, lol........so much help now a days on the internet, wish I had that advantage when I needed it, but I was determined...

My first one or two, in fact, were a bit wonky, but time, and practice took care of that in a short while...I am a granny-square-aholic, and my name, is katie!!!!!!!      lol :manyheart

random thought too, I was looking for a particular thread today, and if there is aneasy  way to find it, I don't know how, unless the only way is to scroll through them all......sheesh, does anyone know a way to accomplish that easier and less time consumming?? cause  i would love to learn it,lol thanks.

i remembered i posted, a couple of the words in it, and an approx date, ....

that's all I had to go by, and I must say, I scrolled through a LOT of posts before I finally found it!!
(I was off two days on the date too, just saying......) lol

:hi one more thing, i think I have heard from at least once, everyone that is participating in the secret santa, and all seems to be rolling along smoothly, have I missed anyone in answering questions on their partners, or addresses, or am i up to speed, Ill leave it to you, to let me know, ok. thanks now!!!! and good night! :waving

Kim and Kay, you get to keep the crowns for at least a year!!!!!!! woo hoo!!

Do either of you have a total to share with us on how many you collected during your reign!!!!! and pics, don't forget pics!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!

Carol, how are you doing?  I wouldn't be as brave as you at the prospect of having the tooth taken out.  I suppose it's broken anyway, but I hate dentists!  I let them do what they must, but I do not like them.  Does anyone?  I shudder just thinking about it!  I hope it's taken care of quickly, though.  

Lacey, thank goodness you're okay!  Some of us are like that.  Instead of remembering to be thankful that our loved ones are okay, we act angry instead of admitting our fear.  Has that cough died down?  I hope it's not anything serious.

I think I'm going to turn in early.  It's only 12:21 a.m.  My bedtime is normally 3 or 4 if not later, but I need to get myself on a decent schedule.  

I hope to see more pictures of the awesome things everyone here makes.  You're all so talented and creative!

Good night, ladies :)

how do you pronounce mayonaise, ma yo nays,,,,,or man aise, just curious folks, random thought escaped! my apologies early, lol

We call it mayo or man aise :)

Thank you GrannyAnnie for the squares they are lovely!?!?! You ladies have been so kind and I am super excited to put together this work of love

We call it mayo or man aise :)

Thank you GrannyAnnie for the squares they are lovely!?!?! You ladies have been so kind and I am super excited to put together this work of love

Archived