Favorite Pattern?

My fav pattern of all time is a pattern from a 1966 McCalls stitchery mag. of a butterfly and roses meant to be a bathmat, but I made it in size 20 crochet cotton thread as a red doily for the table. It is filet crochet but very detailed.

I rarely use the same pattern twice unless it is something fast, like hats, scarves, tawashis, etc....

I prefer the more complicated and detailed items to be one of a kind...post-14620-13589774778_thumb.jpg

I guess I don't have favorite patterns as much as I have favorite techniques. I've lost count of the entrelac blankets, throws and shawls I've made. Same thing with Broomstick Lace. I like to make things with the basketweave stitch and the brick stitch (crazy stitch), too. Right now I'm making lots of fingerless gloves for someone. There's nothing to them, really, it's essentially 32 rows of single crochet using the back loop but she can't crochet or knit and is in awe of them. :hook

I have a pattern that I call "my wedding afghan" it's actual name is "V-stitch throw". I usually make it for couples who are getting married and do it in their wedding colors. (Hence the name!) LOL I have made one with rainbow colors..Roy G. Biv and did a border in mexicana. I have made it so many times, I don't even need the pattern anymore (But have it in safe keeping just in case I ever need it!!

I also really like the corner to corner one for baby afghans. Either that or the "God loves me" baby afghan!

My "all time favorite" is a Pineapple Afghan. I've made it in several color combinations. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pineapple-afghan

You have to be a member of Ravelry to view this, but I made my first one when it came out as a pattern in Family Circle mag in the 1970's (I think).

Anything involving the pineapple stitch is quickly a favorite for me.

post-28899-135897748057_thumb.jpg

I have so many things that I want to make -- even have a written list of about 20 projects that I want to complete! I have at least 10 in progress! So, I rarely make the same thing more than twice. I just go from one pattern to another. My favorite is usually the one I have just finished. :)

I did make a resolution this New Year's to complete all of my WIP's before I start another. I really need to do this both for common sense reasons and my own sanity. I have a serious problem not finishing things lately. This problem started after I lost my husband. I think it goes along with my frame of mind. I just can't quite find any balance, focus or direction. So, I figure if I can at least make myself finish my crochet projects, it might just carry on to my mind a bit too. At least it will stop me from going from one project to another, never finishing anything. I want that feeling of satisfaction that comes from finishing a beautiful crochet project!

I've been thinking about working with the ripple stitch. On the other hand I'm getting in the mood to work on granny square projects! So many choices!!! What I love about crochet is that even if you work with the same stitch/pattern - using a variety of colors and yarns - it makes each project unique! So much fun!!!!!

Cadie

I have so many things that I want to make -- even have a written list of about 20 projects that I want to complete! I have at least 10 in progress! So, I rarely make the same thing more than twice. I just go from one pattern to another. My favorite is usually the one I have just finished. :)

I was getting that way too!! So many beautiful things I wanted to make and getting older, wondering if I would ever get to it...

I finally had to set limits. I know there are times when a project may get boring, or one needs a change (like from worsted to thread), so I limit myself to 3 projects. Once I hit the 3rd wip, I have to make a decision as to whether I really want to complete them all :think. Sometimes I will wind up ripping one completely out, rather than force myself to finish something that looked good, but once I started it realized I didn't like it anymore.

Hope your resolution works for you, it took me a full year to get myself on track. ;)

I use Darski's Gardener's Getaway top pattern for almost all my doll clothes tops. It has a super easy sleeve and can be changed any way you want it.

:blush Thank you so much for this. It never occurred to me that I could make this list. :ghug

When it comes to afghans I have often made the Tier drop afghan from an afghan leaflet I had. I recently found out that it is called the larkstooth stitch. It's really nice and can easily be used for a man. You can make it in coordinating colors or use up your leftovers.

Too many to count. But motif afghans are my favorites. I get bored with repetitive patterns and colors.

When I'm in the middle of one afghan, I'm always planning the next project, but then by the time I finish it, I've decided to make something completely different. I do sometimes make something I've done before because I've liked it so much and just feel like doing the familiaer once in a while.

I do sometimes make something I've done before because I've liked it so much and just feel like doing the familiar once in a while.

What I enjoy so much about working with motifs is the fact that you get something completely different in 'feel' just by changing over some colours.

The Sunflower lapghan is an example of what colouration can do to any pattern. it is wonderfully adaptable and it allows for continuous joining. :dreaming

It is great for using up bits and it can be completed in one Charity Blast event.

I tend to vary patterns and techniques but often have several projects going at the same time. I use a particular hat pattern but vary the pattern since it is used mainly for charitable projects. I am currently doing different variations of the join as you go granny square afghans, some with two rounds, others three, others four. It also depends on where the finished item will be given. I also make lists and since right now I have four afghans to be done (in four different patterns), I have the yarn needed for each in a different tote bag, all lined up in a row. Easier for me that way.

LI Roe

One of my favorite patterns is a ripple throw. I've made dozens for graduation and wedding gifts. It's my "go to" pattern.

Usually I have several WIPs going at one time too. Limiting myself to x number of WIPs before I can start another item is a great idea.

Lisa

My go to pattern is a variation of what I call the "Waffle Stitch," which is to say, alternating back post and front post double crochets, and repeat as many times as you need. Right now, I'm actually doing it as fpbp Triples, switching a row of them with a row of plain double crochets.

What I enjoy so much about working with motifs is the fact that you get something completely different in 'feel' just by changing over some colours.

The Sunflower lapghan is an example of what colouration can do to any pattern. it is wonderfully adaptable and it allows for continuous joining. :dreaming

It is great for using up bits and it can be completed in one Charity Blast event.

Very pretty. And the deep blue background is a nice variation of the usual sunflower colors. Kind of reminiscent of a Van Gogh sky with a VG sunflower all in one.

• 1 month later...

I totally forgot the squares, :blush. You are so right, some squares are special....and very versatile...

Archived