Dishcloths of 2012 CAL...........

teakaycee

Count me in as well! I have just started a simple one and need to get back on it! I have the problem of always starting a new project before I can finish the first one.

Maybe this will keep me moving?!?!?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm almost finished with one. Simple diagonol garter stitch but has an owl done with cable stitches in one corner.

I'll post a picture, when I learn how to use my camera and when I then learn how to post a picture.

Next, I'll probably do the dishcloth Ann mentioned.

Whipped this up in about 30 minutes earlier. Needed an easy project to clear my head.

[ATTACH]49839[/ATTACH]

Pretty!! I often feel that handmade dishcloths are almost too pretty to use, and this one fits into that category.

Whipped this up in about 30 minutes earlier. Needed an easy project to clear my head.

[ATTACH]49839[/ATTACH]

:manyheart Love it! Care to share the pattern?

I would love to jump in and join this CAL. I am always making dish and wash cloths....I have created an addiction in many friends/family to using them :lol I both knit and crochet the cloths and love to find new patterns.

tiffer...your washcloth is beautiful. However, the last time I made a beautiful round doily-like dishcloth for my mom she wouldn't use it. When I went home for Thanksgiving it was being used as a doily :think

Have fun this year everyone :yay

I started this one yesterday. You just have to know how to slip, knit and purl. It's the first time I had to slip, so I learned something! :)

CO 42 stitches gave me four extra stitches not needed for the stitch pattern - also was working up bigger than 8". I started over doing CO 38

I counted last night and in the past couple of months I have made a dozen dishcloths, all but one, knit. I guess I can retire all the faded,raggedy ones I've been using and put some of the new ones into service. Since I'm a beginner knitter, a lot of them are a bit lopsided. I'll keep the ones that look nice for gifts and use the rest myself.

CO 42 stitches gave me four extra stitches not needed for the stitch pattern - also was working up bigger than 8". I started over doing CO 38

:think I wonder if I did something wrong? Not that I've ever misinterpreteded a pattern before! :lol

Hi gals! I'll come in and play now and then as time permits! I have two tubs of cotton yarn and am not afraid to use it!!!!

kuddles

:cheer Mama K is gonna play! :yay

I counted last night and in the past couple of months I have made a dozen dishcloths, all but one, knit. I guess I can retire all the faded,raggedy ones I've been using and put some of the new ones into service. Since I'm a beginner knitter, a lot of them are a bit lopsided. I'll keep the ones that look nice for gifts and use the rest myself.

That's what I do. Most of mine have been knit too. I make them, if they look good, they're a gift, if not, they're mine! :lol

I just started to get back into knitting them to keep my basic knitting skills in place. I made one for Thanksgiving and have a Christmas one I want to finish before too long so it doesn't get lost. I was surprised at how many knit ones I had made last year when I was digging out the holiday decorations. I have several Christmas and Valentine's knit ones. However, the non-holiday ones seem to be crochet that work up faster for me.

I have never made a dishcloth before but I would love to join you CAL. I always use store bought sponges to wash dishes....do you find crocheted dish clothes to work just as well or better?

Personally, I prefer the handmade cotton cloths to anything I've ever found in a store. The cotton is breath-able, totally washable and dry-able, and they hold up well to the abuse that I put them through. I made one last month, and while I love it, I am making another one with a smaller hook because when it's wet it has gaps in it that are larger than I like. Usually I prefer the knitted cloths, although I did receive on that is made using the afghan stitch and that's a close 2nd... until I get the pattern/hook size figured out for this other one! :lol I do not like using a sponge, because they harbor bacteria and are difficult to keep clean. It will be great to have you join us, and after you've made a cloth or two and tried it out, you'll have to let us know which you prefer!! :yay

My suggestion is to start off with something relatively small, and with a relatively small stitch (like sc or hdc), if you're used to "sponge size". Otherwise you may end up with more cloth than you'd like.

:welcome

:hug

:think I wonder if I did something wrong? Not that I've ever misinterpreteded a pattern before! :lol

You didn't do anything wrong if you like it. I just prefer to keep my dishcloths around 8" approx. because they stretch when wet.

I made one last month, and while I love it, I am making another one with a smaller hook because when it's wet it has gaps in it that are larger than I like. Usually I prefer the knitted cloths, although I did receive on that is made using the afghan stitch and that's a close 2nd... until I get the pattern/hook size figured out for this other one!

I usually knit dishcloths but awhile ago I made a round crocheted one and when wet the holes/gaps were way too big.

I usually knit dishcloths but awhile ago I made a round crocheted one and when wet the holes/gaps were way too big.

Yep, same issue I'm having. That's why I decided to try again using a smaller hook. :) I don't like them too large, either, because I tend to be in a hurry when I'm washing dishes, and the ends of the cloth have been known to "slap" me with the dishwater!! :rofl

Howdy,

Stalked the last "Dish cloths of" Cal and now I'm stalking this one. I always love seeing what everyone's made. Anywho, I decided to share one I made today and also share the pattern with ya'll. It is knit but it has a crocheted edging. I think it really adds to this dishcloth.

Thanks for looking!!

Julee

Howdy,

Stalked the last "Dish cloths of" Cal and now I'm stalking this one. I always love seeing what everyone's made. Anywho, I decided to share one I made today and also share the pattern with ya'll. It is knit but it has a crocheted edging. I think it really adds to this dishcloth.

[ATTACH]50091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50092[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking!!

Julee

Great job Julee.....don't knit but it is a nice looking dishcloth!

kuddles

I am trying to hold on to the basic knitting skills I have so I finished a Lucky Clover one for St. Patrick's Day and posted the picture on my blog. I am still amazed at how much LONGER it takes me to knit than it does to crochet. While I am never going to be a great knitter, I refuse to give up the basic skills I have, they are useful for small projects.

Howdy,

[ATTACH]50091[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50092[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking!!

Julee

I like the colors and the combination of skills.

Archived