Why can't Mary Maxim sell just patterns!!

I wish Mary Maxim would sell their patterns as a separate option, I get frustrated with their "kits" sometimes. It's a great idea if you want everything all together, but for the rest of us who have yarn coming out of our ears from our stashes it would be nice to be able to buy just the pattern!! (sorry this is kind of just a rant)

I am in LOVE with this afghan and want to make it, but just can't bring myself to pay $40 for the "kit" when I have gobs of yarn downstairs just waiting to be made into something :blushhttp://www.marymaxim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10054_3074457345616996543_-1_15033_15034

I agree, often I don't care for the colors in the kit or know that it won't be enough since I tend to crochet a bit looser and usually buy a skein or two more to compensate (and other times I am right on the money).

I believe it is because they make more money from selling the kit, just my little opinion.

Add me to a petition too.

LI Roe

It pays to research. Sometimes their kit patterns are exclusive, but not always. I know I have found many of their toy patterns from the original person who created the pattern and sells it online from their own site.

i noticed that too... I get their catalogs in the mail. and I saw that pattern kit in there.. I too saw a afghan I'd love to make but don't hve that much money to drop on it. althou I love the colors the kit comes with..

I can't stand it, either! I notice that on their site they do have categories for "patterns" and "free patterns" but those seem to be older ones.

They should give people a choice, the kit or another price for just the pattern. The other thing I found, too, is that sometimes you think you're going to get a certain type of yarn, but then they'll substitute with one of theirs instead. Ahhhhh!!! :eek

I am wondering has anyone contacted them to ask if they would be willing

to sell just the pattern? They might also be willing to let you change the colors of yarn for the kit. Some companies will do that. I have never dealt

with the company you mentioned.

That is one beautiful pattern though - All of my gift cards this Christmas are for Joann's (and I just spent $50 on pattern books earlier today) but I think I can get DH to approve of this one :manyheart

That is one beautiful pattern though - All of my gift cards this Christmas are for Joann's (and I just spent $50 on pattern books earlier today) but I think I can get DH to approve of this one :manyheart

In that case, can your DH call my DH and have him ok it too? Pllllleeeeaaassssee! :devil

I agree with you. I have more yarn than brains at this point, and would love to just buy the pattern. I don't mind paying for a pattern........but not $30.00 and up for it! I've found, too, that kits just don't have quite enough yarn, even if my gauge is spot on.

In that case, can your DH call my DH and have him ok it too? Pllllleeeeaaassssee! :devil

Just let him buy a snowmobile today - I think he will see it your way for a few weeks.:devil

This is especially true for some of their 18" doll patterns. Every kit comes with doll! :eek Why would I want all of those dolls? I'd even buy the yarn to get the pattern, but I don't want the doll.

This is especially true for some of their 18" doll patterns. Every kit comes with doll! :eek Why would I want all of those dolls? I'd even buy the yarn to get the pattern, but I don't want the doll.

If you search you can often find the doll patterns sold on other sites.

I agree with you. I have more yarn than brains at this point, and would love to just buy the pattern. I don't mind paying for a pattern........but not $30.00 and up for it! I've found, too, that kits just don't have quite enough yarn, even if my gauge is spot on.

I agree! I have found, more than once, that I have to order MORE yarn. At least, if you're providing your own yarn, you have the option of getting more in the same dye lot upfront.

I am wondering if MM is bound by copyright requirements. The patterns are freebies and they probably are not allowed to sell them.

I also want to say that I share the OP's complaint but I guess I can see the problem if you start getting into Intellectual Property Rights. :sigh

Archived