Huricane Katrina

Burgandy

I'm just going to post one more thing before I leave this topic alone.

No one is more pro-blanket than I am. In fact, that has been the primary focus of my charity giving. But (and this is a big but) right now, they have to be practical. Storage space is an issue for a LOT of these charities (believe me, I've heard it a thousand times when writing to inquire about charities that want blankets).

I understand cash shortages. But you can also make credit card donations to most charities in lieu of cash.

I'm not trying to discourage people from giving. I'm trying to encourage people to give what is REALLY needed at the time and then plan their craft donations for the future. Right now they are still trying to find places to put thousands of people, I really think that the energy that could be spent at the moment making blankets needs to be channeled into fundraising, like the thing with people donating craft items to raise money.

I know we all want to comfort the children with blankets. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of blankets I have made.

I'm just begging people, please be practical right now. Give the help that is truly needed, even if you can only give a dollar. Dont' add to the logistical nightmare they have right now by making tons of items that have no way of being distributed at the time.

I saw on the local news a story about a woman who has thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment to donate so they can set up a communications station where people can contact their families. They are looking for a trucking company to get these to their destination. If they can't get that kind of technology, which is so imperitive right now down in the gulf, then sadly I just don't think that afghans would be a big priority.

Hate me if you want for saying so. I'm not saying don't plan on making blankets ever for the victims of this horrible tragedy. I'm just saying that if you want to really help, you have to give the help that is needed, not the help you'd prefer.

Sorry if this offends anyone, I don't mean to. I just had to say that before I swear off commenting on this topic cause it's really upsetting me.

Ro

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lists do state that blankets and sheets are needed as the different shelters are opened so it wouldn't be a lost cause. I mean, they are sleeping in an air-conditioned place, not outside. They are asking for pillows, blankets, sheets, air mattresses, sleeping bags, towels, wash rags, etc. They are needed at the shelters.

The shelters here are accepting any kinds of donations. Last night there was a list of things like toilet paper, paper plates, plastic spoons, forks, can goods, any non-perishable, you know stuff like that. They also needed sheets, blankets, pillows, clothes, etc. This morning the Governor said that everyone has to be evacuated from New Orleans because it is so bad and that no one can go back for a month or more. Did you guys see the man on TV last night that was crying because he lost his wife? I cried for 2 hours! He said they were all together ( his wife, his kids, grandkids, and him) when she gave up, asking him to take care of the kids and grandkids. I think she couldn't hold on anymore and let go? But it was heartbreaking to see this man crying because he was so lost without her.

If you guys need any kind of information from the shelters here, just ask and I'll try to find out anything you need to know.

And thanks for all the love!!:hug

I did hear him! It was so sad he made me cry--awful. i love NO--i wanted to take my husband there one time since he's never been.

Correct me if I am wrong(which is most of the time)...blankets would be needed at Nighttime and I am sure that having a crocheted afghan from a stranger will give a needed comfort. There are some light yarn that would work and also what about hold up blankets to block out the sun. I saw this one woman carrying her two twins in a baby carrier and the top was up but my god! She had no where to go! Also, this one older woman sitting on the overpass and her husband of 54 years dead at her feet. He literally died at her feet the night before and the police just told her to move the body away so she wouldn't have to smell the stench of death! I am definintely going to head back to wal-mart and pick up some necessary items that are needed. My heart goes out to the elderly and the mothers with children.

If anyone is interested in sending items to local shelters, I'm more than happy

to accept delivery and drop off.

They've just established an old Walmart near my home as a central location for evacuees, so it won't be ANY trouble at all for me to drop off.

I think we can get together and make squares and blankets and washcloths!

Please email or PM me for my address.

Thanks!

I've gotta agree with Ro on this one. If there are big difficulties transporting things like water and food, I have to feel like crocheted blankets are going to be second priority. This article really drives it home for me - If they aren't even able to get shelter to the refugees, no offense, but why would they be concerned with a comfortghan? Although I'm sure it will appreciated and cherished down the road, it's just not a neccessity at this point.

I think we all realize that what is needed most right now is money. However, most charities experience a massive drop in donations (of money, items, etc.) after the first few days or weeks of a disaster. Therefore, if people want to donate whatever they can afford now and start planning or even making blankets, etc. to be donated later, there will be a need for them, so you should go right ahead. Start crocheting and stockpiling blankets, toys, whatever, to donate next month or the month after. These people have nothing and will need everything. Starting to work together now to get together what they will need not just in the short term for survival, but also for the long term, is an effective strategy that ensures no one will be forgotten. Long range planning is a good thing. I myself will have to wait till tomorrow, payday, to donate money. But I think I'll start on some Warm Up America squares tonight to donate at my Michael's store. Warm Up America does work with the Red Cross to get blankets to needy folks. So hooks up, ladies and gents and crocheters of all shapes and sizes--there's a lot of folks that are going to need our help. Patty

My thoughts are that the items needed right now aren't so much for those still in the affected areas, but for those staying in shelters in non-affected areas!

My husband told me that his school just hired a new Band Director.

The new Band Director is from New Orleans.

They have NOTHING left to go back to, so his family is relocating.

They'll need everything to start a home all over again.

They do have need for all sorts of things.

I don't really think "we" (people who want to donate ghans, etc) are thinking of making the ghans to be sent to New Orleans!

At least, *I'm* not! I want to help those people I'm walking next to in the aisles at Walmart.

Maybe it's different when you're seeing them on TV as being "there", but I'm seeing them as being "here"!

I hope that makes sense.

As I have stated before, regardless if it is a crocheted afghan or a store bought blanket..... THEY STILL NEED BLANKETS!!! They are talking about the new shelters that are having to open up that the Red Cross says are on their own because they are going to supply the bigger shelters first... those are the ones that need these supplies. I mean, even though it's hot outside, when you go to bed, don't you pull up the covers and get nice and cozy???

OK...

I think it's great everyone wants to help.

Since the discussion seems to be bordering on misunderstanding on all parts lets just leave it as those who will make blankets will make blankets, those who won't, won't.

Tensions are high and this subject has ripped all our hearts out.

We all need to take a step back and breathe.

NO matter WHAT you wish to send (outside of cold hard cash obviously) you should check with where you wish to send it to first to make sure it's ok, before you send it.

The local places in Dallas say do not bring clothing to reunion arena or food as they will have to turn it away they say donate cash to help the families rebuild.

Not saying every shelter is that way. But that's a good example of how they can vary form place to place.

:hug :hug

So comeon guys and gals. Let all get along and help.

I was just stressing what we are being told here... where most of the refugees are... here is an article that was in our local paper today. Please note where it says what is needed and that if our shelters open.. they get no supplies because it is going to the big shelters first. No misunderstanding here. Just stating the truth.

Crowley shelter

to open when neededBY DOMINICK CROSS

EDITOR

CROWLEY – The larger shelters in the area is where the assets are going Lake Charles, Lafayette, Alexandria, and Rayne.

A shelter in the City of Crowley will open for Hurricane Katrina evacuees when the larger shelters in Lake Charles, Lafayette, Alexandria, and Rayne become full.

"The ones that house 1,000 people or better, that’s where the resources are going right now," said Lee Hebert, Director of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness of Acadia Parish. "It’s more economical to operate like that instead of having a bunch of little ones all over the place."

As of Wednesday afternoon, Hebert said the Cajundome in Lafayette is not at capacity and neither is the Rayne Civic Center.

"We can handle over 1,000 people over there," Hebert said of the Rayne shelter. "It’s a huge building, plus we have all the camper spaces over there. They’re feeding the people, they’re taking care of them – they’re doing everything," he said.

Referring to a shelter in Crowley, Hebert said, "We’re on a standby list. Once those overflow, then we’ll probably open another one in Crowley," he said, adding that sites under consideration include the Rice Festival Building, the National Guard Armory and the Martin Luther King Jr. building.

In the meantime, Hebert said a Red Cross official told him that if a shelter opens, "they’re basically on their own. Everything’s going to the big shelters."

Items that are most-needed in the shelters are toiletry items (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, toilet paper, paper towels, water, blankets and t-shirts of any size or color).

Volunteers are still cooking for the evacuees at the Crowley Fire Department. Tonight, the meal will be prepared by John N. John Truck Line; and Friday, the chefs at the Rice Palace will take over. On Saturday, Fezzo’s handles the cooking chores. The meals are all a part of the Crowley Firemen’s Relief effort and both monetary or food donations can be made to Crowley Firefighters Local 1442. The meals will be served 6:30-8:30 p.m.

St. Michael Pastor Gary Schexnayder has offered the St. Michael west campus as a possible site for the preparation of food and also evacuees.

For more information or with questions for assistance, call 334-4215 or 783-HELP.

I just watched world news. What the people need now is water. food. They have not gotten anything. It makes me mad when I see them mad, but I have to remmember that they don't know what's going on. They don't know how many states were effected and how bad. As far as afghans go I agree that they will be needed later on. If you have the yarn but not the cash, by all means stock pile for the people that will need them. You can't make to many!!! But right now, food, water, medical supplies.... I couldn't believe what I saw on the news tonight. I couldn't. Right now I'm going to try to sell my stock pile of items (Flip flops, hand bags, baby blankets, scarves.....) If I have the money to send, it's going.

Amber

Wow. I would never have imagined that people would argue so much about whether or not to donate blankets now or later. (That old saying about beating a dead horse comes to mind.)

Moving along, I am appalled at the SLOW pace of relief and rescue efforts in the areas hit by Katrina.

As far as the slow pace, I heard that only today was the government made aware of how seriouse the plight was of the people in New Orleans. But remember, the main road was destroyed, there is water everywhere and there are many other places needing help.

I just got a reply on the craft thingy (I posted earlier about people who are putting craft items for sale on etsy and donating all the money to a relief for Katrina) And they have raised over 3,000!!!!

The question of being legit is always one to ask. Any one know how we can find out if they are truly donating to (I believe it is ) The Red Cross? Maybe just call the Red Cross to find out. :blush If it is legit, that would be wonderfulll.

Amber

This is my first posting. I have just joined crochetville tonight. I was looking online for a group or organization like this one. I have wanted to crochet for charity for a long time now. I don't have any family along the gulf coast but I have t to do something,.. anything. I don't have much money to donate but I do have ALOT of yarn. I am anxious to start helping. Please let me know if anyone hears of how we can help. Maybe with blankets for children and adults. But we must remember that the best thing we can do is PRAY for all the victims and their families.

I would like to pass along some news of the people who have gotten out of New Orleans and Biloxi.

The state parks camping areas of Alabama have been opened to anyone that has been displaced by Katrina. I think I heard they can camp at any of the state parks for free for 10 days.

There are several shelters in and around Nashville,TN. Davidson county schools(the county that Nashville is in) and surrounding counties are allowing children displaced by Katrina to enter public schools without their previous school records. On the news tonight was a 17 year old boy that is in school in Nashville now for his Senior year in H. S. He is from New Orleans.

Apparently many students have enrolled in Nashville area schools.

Also TN Govenor Bredesen is allowing college students who were already enrolled this semester to attend a TN state college at no charge to them.

There are so many ways to help :)

On the subject of the kids enrolling in school ... They are opening schools that have been closed down for a couple of years. They are looking for little portable school buildings so the classes don't get too crowded. I heard from my neice who lives Houston and she says there will around 10,000 kids starting school next week, in and around Houston. That is alot of kids!

l:D It's already been said. Repeating because it feels right.

Donate blood. It's FREE... and it's the Gift of Life! :manyheart

This is me from way down here where not too many bad things happen.

Parts of NZ have flood problems from time to time and Hurricains and landslides etc which are devastating to the people involved but the scale here is so small compared to what is happening in the US.

May I suggest that if any of you have afghans to spare, why not set up raffles and send the money you make to the relief fund.

A few years ago, Papua New Guinea had an island almost wiped out by a tidal wave and because my sister had lived in PNG several years earlier, she decided to collect T-Shirts and was able to send hundreds of them to the people who had lost everything.

There was a down side to her collection though as people gave a lot of stupid stuff like high heeled shoes, cardigans and other winter clothing. Took a bit of sorting but they got there in the end.

T-shirts could be something that the ladies of Crochetville could collect, preferrably new ones, as I am sure they can be bought really cheaply from some stores in the US. If used, then they should be in good condition.

What about Thong sandals too, they could be readily used by anyone and would not cost too much to buy.

Another thing which might work is to take a family under your wing and look out for their well-being. Maybe a holiday for the children while the parents get back on their feet. A whole street in your town could adopt a family in need so the expences could be shared.

Just a few ideas to kick around and who knows what might come out of it.

My heart breaks for the people who have lost everything, some of them probably didnt have too much to start with.

These are the people who need help the most.

If someone takes up this idea, send me an address & I will post a T-Shirt from here asap.

Colleen:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

here we go!!! Here is a place to send those afghans and toys you are making. (This was in a thread on this forum.)

http://www.coffeecup.com/hurricane/

In Texas and they will take comfort items (no money) to deliver to the victims coming through their state. The gal who posted the link said she has researched them thouroly and they are legit.

:cheer:clap:hook

Amber

eBay is also allowing you to set up auctions to raise money, so if you have no money to send now, and were thinking of selling items in your home (or that you have made) to raise money, you can now do it directly through eBay... they will donate the money to the relief group of your choice (there's quite a list, including the red cross, salvation army, americares, etc.).

Start here:

http://givingworks.ebay.com/

The North Orange County California Chapter of Binky Patrol is run by a fellow pea (Pattye). Binky Patrol makes and delivers blankets to local hospitals and children's centers for babies and children in need. We all know how comforting a soft blanket to hug can be to a sick or frightened child, especially to those who have been traumatized.

The North Orange County Chapter is working on a special project for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Volunteers are sewing and crocheting furiously for the Katrina survivors, but the need is great. The victims of this horrible disaster need a soft place to lie down and something of their own to cuddle for security. All blankets will be shipped directly to shelter sites and the blankets become the property of the victims, not the shelters.

We need your help! We desperately need fabric, yarn, batting, thread and especially postage. If you would like to make blankets to send, please do so. Blankets can be sewn, knitted, crocheted or quilted. All that is asked it that no used blankets are sent. You may also send monetary donations payable to "Binky Patrol" so our chapter can buy the materials we need most. Please ask your friends, family, employers and schools to make a donation too. This is a great project to get children involved in. Let them raise funds to buy materials or even assist in making the blankets!

All donations are tax-deductible. If you would like a tax receipt mailed to you, please include a note as to the value of the items you have donated and send along a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Please mail your donations to:

Binky Patrol - Katrina Relief

6596 E. Paseo Diego

Anaheim Hills, CA 92807 USA

Thank you for your kindness, support and generosity!

North Orange County Binky Patrol

Pattye Duffner - Chapter Coordinator

Karen Carter - Hurricane Katrina Project Liason

Phone: (714) 921-2482

Email: BinkyPatrol@superheavy.com

http://www.binkypatrol.org

Archived