Huricane Katrina

Burgandy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a pic in the paper this morning of a woman who was sitting (and crying) next to her common-law husband who had died because he ran out of oxygen. I feel so bad for everyone affected. :cry

DH gets paid today so we'll donate tomorrow.

Not to sound like a commercial, but if any of these people can make it to a Cingular store in any of the following cities, they can call their loved ones for free right now:

Alabama:

- Foley

- Mobile

Louisiana:

- Morgan City

- Baton Rouge

- Denham Springs

- Zachary

- Hammond

- Plaquemine

Mississippi:

- Natchez

Northwest Florida:

- Gulf Breeze

Gotta go...@ work...:O

Here in Eastern NC we've recieved help in the past, and now we're going to be returning the help. Our schools are collecting bleach, buckets and water, and the radio stations are going to be announcing today what they are doing, collections, etc. I have some money earmarked for charity I will give, small amount that it is.

Kathy

Kathy, no amount is small! All our $5 or $20 or whatever we can afford adds up in seconds to a huge amount of money, even just spare change helps. I, too have been to the beautiful cities of NO and Biloxi and my heart breaks for them. I can't afford much either, but they're getting what extra I have, and good thoughts and prayers are free. Patty

Woke up to find that they're moving all the people in the Superdome to the Astrodome so I'll be close enough to be able to deliver things when they say what they're going to need. I'm sure this city will take great care of those folks :hug

Watching the news is breking my heart seeing all those foks that thought they were going to the suerdome & are now living on a bridge it's like a 3rd world country over there :eek This is so shocking I'm just utterly amazed at the devastation. We worry about terrorism & then mother nature slams us soo much worse.

I just found this on the click2houston website. If you're in the Houston area here is what you can give & some places to take it.Also I'm betting that the Dome will be taking things in the coming days too.

• Food and drinks
  • Clothing
  • Disposable diapers
  • Games and toys
  • Sheets and blankets
  • Monetary donations

Drop-off Locations:

• Spring Tabernacle Church, 3031 F.M. 2920, Spring; (281) 353-1851
  • Memorial Baptist Church, 600 W. Sterling, Baytown
  • St. Peter Claver Catholic Church, 6005 N, Wayside Drive, Houston
  • Baytown Community Center, 2407 Market Street, Baytown
  • Mont Belvieu Senior Center, 11607 Eagle Drive, Mont Belvieu
  • Moody Methodist Church, 2803 53rd Street, Galveston

This is a list I was sent earlier for our shelters. I know some of you can't just drive up and drop things off but I know everyone is trying their best to help:

Here is a list of needed supplies and a list of locations to drop items off at around Acadainia. I will also be posting a location to drop off clothing as soon as I can. Also, if you can donate any time to the Red Cross please go the the Cajun Dome and offer your hands and your heart, or if you can donate blood please give when you can.

Bottled Water

Ice

Large Garbage Bags

Sanitizing supplies

Dawn Dishwashing liquid

Styrofoam plates and saucers

plastic forks and spoons

paper napkins and towels

disposable gloves

gumbo bowls

toilet paper

deodorant

cleansing wipes

sanitary napkins

soap

washing powder

baby food

baby wipes

diapers 3 months-2yrs

personal hygiene items

coffee

baby juice

baby milk

coolers

batteries and radios

canned food

gatoraid

bleach

camp stoves and grills

lighters

pots and utensils

pillows and blankets

clean washcloths and towels

tarps

bungee cords and ropes

VOLUNTEERS

Also, board games, books, cross word puzzles, crayons, toys, etc

Hurricane Katrina KATC Relief Drive - KATC TV3, 1103 Eraste Landry Rd., cash or checks made payable to United Way of Acadiana or Community Foundation of Acadiana, starting 6 am Wednesday.

Scott Police Department - 445 Lions Club Road, 233-3715, 8 am to

4:30 PM all this week. Non-perishable food items.

Ville Platte Civic Center - 831-1060, 8 am to 6 PM beginning

Wednesday. All food items, bedding, cash.

Dairy Barn - Rodeo Rd, Abbeville, Tuesday until 11 PM, Wednesday all day. Non-perishable food items.

Branch Volunteer Fire Department - Hwy. 35, 334-7466, non-perishable food and cash donations for Salvation Army.

Vermilion Conference Center - Old Vermilion Elementary, 326

Gauthier, Lafayette, 233-1787, school uniforms, school supplies for refugees enrolling in temporary Lafayette Parish classrooms.

Blackham Coliseum - Johnston St., Lafayette, 981-9299, all pet food and items especially large dog cages and carriers - carriers will be returned.

Thank yuo to everyone for their help.

I emailed the shelters and I am awaiting for information from them later on today.

Thanks.

Honestly, I would hold off on planning to send afghans. It's very, very hot in these states, the last thing people would want are hot blankets.

The most important things right now are money to buy ice, water, meals, food, medicines, and blood donations I would think.

I don't mean to put a damper on anyone's spirits about later donations...perhaps later when people are in temporary housing and have roofs over their heads...right now the thing that they need most is money. Even if you can only send a dollar, it'll be more help to them than blankets that they likely have no where to store and no way to get to the people. They can't even get all the survivors moved yet... :(

If I were going to make anything I would likely focus on toys. So many kids with nothing. Probably some with no one either...

just my 2 cents.

Ro

Honestly, I would hold off on planning to send afghans. It's very, very hot in these states, the last thing people would want are hot blankets.

The most important things right now are money to buy ice, water, meals, food, medicines, and blood donations I would think.

I don't mean to put a damper on anyone's spirits about later donations...perhaps later when people are in temporary housing and have roofs over their heads...right now the thing that they need most is money. Even if you can only send a dollar, it'll be more help to them than blankets that they likely have no where to store and no way to get to the people. They can't even get all the survivors moved yet... :(

If I were going to make anything I would likely focus on toys. So many kids with nothing. Probably some with no one either...

just my 2 cents.

Ro

Excellent point Ro.

Points I was going to mention earlier but got called away from the computer.

If you just want to crochet something to send, washclothes, scrunchies, totebags - practical things.

If I were a kid and lost everything, I would like a crocheted blanket. Probably moreso than a toy, but that's just me.

IMO, crocheted items are going to take time and those that have lost everything might appreciate them when it does get cooler. Or, at the very least, they will appreciate that someone thought of them. This, of course, is secondary to the more immediate needs such as water, food, and medical care.

With the heat the way that it is right now, I don't think that blankets are needed either. I know the point that is trying to be made about having something cuddly, but other things are more of a priority. All of the items on the list that Christine so nicely typed up are excellent choices. Kari also had a very nice point about practical crochet items.

I really think that the children need some food, diapers, and toys right now. I am sure they need to be distracted at a time that they will never forget in their lives. How depressed it must be to watch your parents crying over losing everything they had.

It is sooo sad that all of this misery is happening at a time when we really need it the least. :(

I hope that everyone tries to send something from their heart!

It's hot here people I'm south of Houston and it stays hot for another couple of months and then really doesn't even get cold so blankets if you have to send one make it a light lacy thing. Toys I agree are something to pick up the kids spirits, but mostly if you're shipping things just think about the money it cost to ship and donate that amount.

I'm in Alexandria/Pineville, and they're are quite a few shelters set up & being set up here.

OK - I just called the local news channel and they're taking donations of

ANY & EVERYTHING!

If anyone wants to send things to me, I would be glad to drop them off!

I think Ro has a point about sending blankets, as it's *very* hot!!!

I think face cloths, tote bags and, here's a biggy - stuffed animals for the smaller children would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to add some comments. First I think that it is wonderful that everyone is coming together to help.:ghug I think that everyone's help and donations whatever they are will be appreciated. Next to all of those out there wanting to donate blood... please prepare yourself! Drink plenty of water before and of course afterwards. I know that people are going out to donate as I type, but it is best to try to drink extra water two to three days before donating.

To those of you who can donate, but are scared know this. The people that collect blood at the Red Cross and other sites are truly experts. I know this sounds odd coming from a nurse, but I am deathly afraid of needles. I have just started to donate blood on a regular basis and have always had wonderful experiences at collection sites. The nurses and other volunteers where I have donated are calming and very friendly. And hey you get a free cookie. :)

Elizabeth

My son just came home with a letter asking for donations.

It says

The American Red Cross needs:

Washcloths, Towels

Pillows

Blankets

Soap, shampoos, lotions, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant

Diapers (all sizes), baby wipes, baby formula!!!

Also needed are coloring books, crayons, cards, board games like Checkers, etc.

Bottled water

(They did not encourage toys or stuffed animals at this time)

The Salvation Army needs:

Cereal! Cereal! Cereal!

Boxes of Mashed Potatoes

Canned Foods -- the larger, the better, especially canned fruit and vegetables.

BABY formula! Baby Food! BAby Diapers!

"Female" products

(No drinks are needed)

All clothing items are also needed. Collect these and take to the SALVATION ARMY, not Goodwill! Goodwill charges for items, as they are a for-profit organization.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Here is another email I got today.. just passing it on:

This is what I've got so far, if anyone has anything else feel free

to post it to the group and we will allow it through. Email a

moderator if you see a disreputable group come through, but please

hold commentary, otherwise.

Good luck, and may God bless.

-Administrator, Acadiana Freecycle

Christopher M. Fontenot

If you want to volunteer to help, here is the list of groups.

NATIONAL VOLUNTARY ORGANIZATIONS ACTIVE IN DISASTER:

Web: http://www.nvoad.org

Here is the Federal Emergency Management Agency's contact info:

Phone: 1-800-621-FEMA

http://www.fema.gov/

FEMA Emergency Contact:

http://www.fema.gov/fema/statedr.shtm

and FEMA Charity tip list, to avoid fraud.

http://www.fema.gov/rrr/help2.shtm

This is a list of Better Business Bureau approved charities:

http://www.give.org/news/katrina.asp

Following is a large list of disaster relief agencies, I'm sure some

of them are duplicates of what we see above, but I didn't want to

chance missing something.

American Red Cross (800) HELP NOW (435-7669)

http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

America's Second Harvest (800) 344-8070

Adventist Community Services (800) 381-7171

Catholic Charities, USA (703) 549-1390

Christian Disaster Response (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (800) 848-5818

Church World Service (800) 297-1516

Convoy of Hope (417) 823-8998

Lutheran Disaster Response (800) 638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service (717) 859-2210

Nazarene Disaster Response (888) 256-5886

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (800) 872-3283

Salvation Army (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief (800) 462-8657, ext.

United Methodist Committee on Relief (800) 554-8583

LOUISIANA SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS:

Web: http://www.la-spca.org

A list of other Web sites offering disaster relief information:

Louisiana Homeland Security

http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov /

City of New Orleans

http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx

Louisiana Governor's Office

http://www.gov.state.la.us /

Catholic Charities Phone: 1-800-919-9338

http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org /

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster

http://www.nvoad.org /

Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

http://www.la-spca.org /

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster

Ande Miller, Executive Director

Email: amiller@nvoad.org

Phone: 703-339-5596

And last but not least State Emergency Organizations:

Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness

Phone: 225-925-7500

Fax: 225-925-7501

Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness

7667 Independence Blvd.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806

Phone: (225) 925-7500

Fax: (225) 925-7501

http://www.loep.state.la.us

All clothing items are also needed. Collect these and take to the SALVATION ARMY, not Goodwill! Goodwill charges for items, as they are a for-profit organization.

The above quote was in an earlier post and I just wanted to clear up any confusion...

Goodwill Industries is a Not for Profit company. Yes they do have stores that charge for the items. That is how they pay the people with disabilities who work there.:soap *stepping off my soapbox now :)* I won't go into details about it here but if anybody wants to know more, please PM me.

But she is probably right, if you want your clothes to go directly to the hurriacane victims, donate to an organization that is working directly with hurriacane victims.

I live in Nashville,TN. I just heard on the news that there are several shelters being set up here and in surrounding counties.

Don't know what they may need here but if anyone is in or around Nashville, I would love to coordinate with you to get some items to them.

I think I will make some tote bags and maybe start some afghans. They will eventually need blankets.

We were informed today on the local news that the military familes from 4 ships usually located in the huricane area will be moved to Mayport base here in Jacksonville. They are also setting up a shelter for people who are already stranded here and Maybe for others who will be moved here.

I just found this on the crochet live journal.

"Now’s the time for the Indie Community to make a difference!"

http://craftrevolution.com/craftersunited.htm

Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast earlier this week with devastating effects, forcing hundreds of thousands out of their homes and causing at least 68 deaths, including 55 in Mississippi. Rescue efforts are currently under way, with many victims trapped on rooftops and in flooded communities. The area is experiencing a shortage of food, a lack of drinking water and no power to homes that are still standing. The devastation is unbelievable.

We at Craft Revolution have been watching the news coverage together (online) with heavy hearts. We know full-well the power of the indie community to come together to support one of our own in need. Now is the time to mobilize that power and reach out to the victims of this horrific storm.

We have approached Etsy.com with a plan to offer donated indie items for sale on their website. Etsy has offered us shop space (http://craftrevolution.etsy.com) and to help us promote the event by mentioning the event in their blog and featuring some of the items from the shop.

All proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund, which is providing hot meals to victims and rescue workers, as well as providing other much needed assistance such as shelter, medical needs and even therapy for victims. Our initial goal is to raise $1,000.

With hopes of forming an unprecedented partnership across the entire indie design community, we’ve contacted the major shopping websites for help in promoting the event in their newsletters, blogs, and on their websites. Tanya Sharma of MyCicy.com has already agreed to work with us, as has Leah Kramer from Craftster.

Want to help?

Donate an item for sale! You just need to provide us with a good-quality photo, description, retail value and starting price for your item. We’ll post the item on Etsy in our special disaster relief shop. Your name and website will be mentioned in the listing. When the item sells, we’ll contact you with the name and address of the winning bidder to ship to.

We’re also asking for participating shops to send out a special newsletter to help spread the word to their customers.

Even if you can’t donate an item, please consider posting something about the event on your sites, in your newsletters, and in your blogs. The more we get the word out, the more we can help!

If you’d like to make a direct donation with paypal, you may send your contributions to donations@craftrevolution.com. Please also send any inquiries or offers of donations and help to that address.

If anyone is looking for fundraising ideas at the office....

My company's dress code is business casual during the week. Our Human Resources team announced that we can come to work in jeans if we donate $5 each to the Red Cross today. Our company then offered to match the donation 2:1 so my $5 becomes $15!

If I were a kid and lost everything, I would like a crocheted blanket. Probably moreso than a toy, but that's just me.

I agree with this. I understand that it is warm, in the 90s and 100s, there. But I have 2 kids that love their blankies regardless of the weather. They don't necessarily cover up with them, but will cuddle them. IMO it is important to give these kids some comfort items, be it blankies, toys, or anything else. But remember it isn't just little kids, so when you are making things, think of the older kids too.

And yes I have thought of donating money, but I don't have alot of spare cash, but have lots of items around the house that I can send. And I can charge the shipping to my credit card so I don't feel the bite of that quite as much as donating cash.

Archived