Huricane Katrina

Burgandy

I'm not trying to toot the horn of one church group over another. This is just the one I know about. I'm betting that all other churches are doing something similiar in your area.

The Southern Baptist have disaster relief units that have been sent to the hurricane areas. These units can prepare up to 22,000 meals a day. As these units will be needed for a long period of time, new volunteers are now being trained to relieve in rotation. Also groups will be sent to help with clean up and construction work. Many area churches are also being set up as temporary relief centers even though we are in the Nashville TN area. We have also been ask to open up our homes to victims of the storm.

My husband and I are forunate enough to have a furnished downstairs that we are able to offer. It doesn't have a kitchen, but it does have a bedroom, livingroom, a full bath and private entrance. This was our garage and storage area until our children became teenagers and then we finished it off for their use. Now that they are both grown and own their own it has come in handy before for people in need. We've been thinking of down sizing but just can't seem to get to it. Maybe we are suppose to stay here so this space can be put to good use.

Nashville is a long way, but think of all the people who have been displaced. Texas & Mississippi can't handle all of them!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put up a wish list on the Wishing Well asking for donations of toys and baby outfits for the hurricane victims who are in shelters here I had taken down my list a couple of weeks ago because I had recieved enough , but I wanted to do something to help. So if you'd like you can send me a toy or baby outift and I will be sure to get it to a child in need.

That is wonderful Rebecca!!!

I have a friend who lives in Corpus Christi, she says about 3000 people have been brought there. I was just talking to her yesterday because I found several boxes of baby clothes in my attic that I didn't realize were up there (we're getting our roof rebuilt this week so we had to empty out the attic) My "baby" is 10 1/2 yrs old :lol She said if I mail things to her, she can make sure they really get to the right place.

I spent last night & today washing & folding everything. I'm packing up a big box to go out tomorrow. I'm trying to finish up a couple of quicky baby blankets as well. She said they desperately need baby items of all kinds (diapers, bottles, formula) . There also is a big need for feminine hygene products. How miserable must it be to have to deal with that on top of everything else? :scared I wanted to include some of those things, but it seemed a little impractical to buy them up here and have to ship them. I went on Drugstore.com last night. Shipping was free for orders over $25. I was able to find lots of things on sale and had them shipped directly to my friend.

Holly

Yesterday during our church service our minister mentioned that as we left the sanctuary there would be someone handing each of us a list to put together a HEALTH KIT. He said that the supply list is broken down and only a portion is given to each denomination such as Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, etc. I am a member of the First United Methodist Church and our list consisted of:

1 wash cloth

1 hand towel

1 toothbrush still in the package

1 tube of toothpaste with the expiration date longer than 6 months

6 band aids

1 strong sturdy comb (not pocket size)

1 fingernail clippers (no toenail clippers or emery boards)

1 bar of bath soap

These items were all to be placed in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and brought to our church by Thursday. Someone from our church will be driving it to our capital city (Des Moines, IA) where they will then transport it to the needed areas on Friday.

They also said if you could contribute-- please supply:

Blankets (because they do need something to cover up with when they are sleeping)

Bottled water

and MONEY to transport these items where needed. If we wrote a check we needed to put TRANSPORT RELIEF in the memo portion of the check. If we just wanted our money to go for supplies we were to write HURRICANE RELIEF instead.

My children and I went to Walmart and got enough supplies to fill 10 bags. I also gave a check for TRANSPORT RELIEF as well. We are dropping them off at our church tomorrow.

ALSO, I heard on the news this weekend that they are expecting to bring 5,000 refugees to Iowa as soon as tomorrow. Help them get back on their feet, by giving them housing, finding them jobs and supplying them with food stamps, etc.

I work at Iowa State University and we are taking in students from Tulane and LSU, giving them financial aid, waiving other fees.....

As my minister said yesterday---The United States will never be the same as we know it. This has changed the course of our country. He also said, it is time to quit asking WHY and start asking WHAT CAN WE DO NOW? What can we do to get these people's lives back in order?? Stop playing the blaming game. I think he had some good points.

I just posted this information in a separate thread.... The Times-Picayune reports today about a blanket drive. I'm sure crocheted blankets would be welcome.

Blanket drive on

Monday, 5:17 p.m.

A New Iberia resident is spearheading an effort to make blankets for

infants and children who are victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Local quilter Julia Fleming said infant blankets can be sewn quickly by

machine or by hand. Fleming added that she is hoping to get as many

area quilters and seamtresses to get involved in the effort as possible.

To help or for more information, call Fleming at (337) 560-5187.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_09.html#077121

And yet another story from my neck of the woods. My aunt and I stood on the street corner of 10th avenue south in Great Falls working with the red cross to get monetary donations with a lot of other people. So far, we all raised over 15,000 dollars and still we are going strong. From other donations we received, we were able to start putting together necessity bags full of these items:

2 toothbrushes

tube of toothpaste (not the travel size either)

2 types of deodorant for men and women

shampoo and conditioner

body wash

a ten pack of gum

washcloths, hand towels, bathsheet

crayola color wonder coloring books and markers

pack of playing cards

feminine products

baby powder

baby lotion

A&D Ointment

first aid kit

hair brush/comb

So far, we have a total of 85 bags done up. This is definitely keeping my mind focused on helping others rather than feeling sorry for myself and what has been going on in my life. My dh is frustrated because he can't knit (his left arm is still numb) but as long has he can hold our little girl, he is happy.

I haven't had time to read all the posts. I started reading before signing in and then the numbers changed and I lost my place. LOL

I am in St. Charles Parish, just outside of New Orleans. Yes, it is hot here and it will be hot for some time to come. BUT I make afghans all year round. Kids love to have their own afghan, but besides this, here are some thoughts.

Have you ever been to camp and had to lie on a bed that hundreds of other people had already been using? My kids were always told to bring a sleeping bag or blanket to cover the top of the bed. I don't know if these people have cots or beds to sleep on. If they do, it's probably been used before. If they don't, then they need something clean to lie on and cover with.

If the place they are in is air conditioned, as most places in Louisiana are, then it may well get cool.

Trying to get babies and young kids to sleep in such conditions has got to be an exercise in patience. A nice, lightweight blankie might be just the thing to help.

My son wraps in his blanket every night, no matter the season.

Keep in mind, too, that afghans don't happen overnight. It takes a while to make and this will be an ongoing need for some time. It is true that the heat will remain here for several months. I have worn shorts to our Thanksgiving gathering some years. :-) Then again, I had a yard sale in our warm November months where I had to make hot chocolate to keep warm. There is no telling when the cool days will start.

All this to say, if crocheting/knitting/quilting a blanket or washcloth or any other item is the way YOU want to help, then do that. If you want to give blood, then do that. If you want to donate money, then do that. Everyone needs to do what you feel you are ABLE to do and what you feel will help those you are targeting. Different folks being sheltered in different areas may have different needs.

The folks in charge will see to most of the basic needs. The local communities across the country where they are housed will provide that. The "extras" are what will need to come from generous folks like you all.

That's only MY opinion and I have been known to be wrong once or twice. *grin* But crochet is what I do and I will be busy getting my own family back on its feet (though we are not hurting as these folks in the shelters are), so I will be making squares and blankets and donating time where I can. I know that is not the ONLY way to participate, but it is ONE way.

Sandie

see my list of Katrina links at http://www.sandrapetit.com/links_katrina.html

coming soon - craft links at http://www.crochetcabana.com/links.htm

Archived