Huricane Katrina

Burgandy

Right now it looks like all the charities are asking for cash donations, but sooner or later they will probably start accepting other items. These people are going to be displaced for a looooong time. If anyone hears that they are looking for donations of blankets or anything else we can make, please let me know. I was born in Louisiana but moved when I was 4. I recently visited New Orleans and Baton Rouge (bowling nationals) and felt like I was home again for the first time in a long time. These are warm & wonderful people who need our help. I hope some of you will join me when the time comes in making something for a few of these unfortunate people.

Thanks,

Erika

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will definetly do what I can to help. I have 2 good friends that are trapped inside their store/home. Their area is currently inaccessible and can't be evacuated. In all reality, they may not make it...have already lost their cats. People were in contact with them until around 3 this afternoon. Regardless, I will do all I can. And should they not make it, it will be in their honor.

I live about 3 hours away form New Orleans and most of the evacuee's are in our area... with nothing... no food , no money, and no where to go. Today they were asking for volunteers with aluminum boats to help with the search and rescue. They are leaving at 4 tomorrow morning for that. I heard earlier that while the search was going on today the rescuers had to push bodies out of the way so they can get to the ones that are alive. I have also heard that so many are trapped in their attics and can't get out. This is so crazy.. to quote the news man today... "This is our Tsunami".

I'll help too .. just let me know.

I was just coming here to post something about this... I was thinking along the lines of crocheted blankets for the people who have been displaced and have lost everything.

I'll definitely be donating money to the Red Cross to help out.

Another way everyone can help, not only the Hurricane victims, but others in need is to DONATE blood!! The Red Cross is running low (according to the television newsflash we got today)...so please consider it!

Donna

I live about 3 hours away form New Orleans and most of the evacuee's are in our area... with nothing... no food , no money, and no where to go. Today they were asking for volunteers with aluminum boats to help with the search and rescue. They are leaving at 4 tomorrow morning for that. I heard earlier that while the search was going on today the rescuers had to push bodies out of the way so they can get to the ones that are alive. I have also heard that so many are trapped in their attics and can't get out. This is so crazy.. to quote the news man today... "This is our Tsunami".

I'll help too .. just let me know.

Hollier,

Is there some kind of shelter or anything set up? Can deliveries be made in your area? BTW, I was born in Lake Charles and lived in Sulpher.

Hollier,

Is there some kind of shelter or anything set up? Can deliveries be made in your area? BTW, I was born in Lake Charles and lived in Sulpher.

Yes, there are shelters popping up all over, and yes I could deliver whatever was made if things were sent here.

The local news has raised 35,000 dollars for the Red Cross in about 5 hours today.

They have also opened the Cajundome for a shelter, which is a good thing because there are alot of people with no where to go and I heard that some won't be able to go home for at least a month.

There was a family of 10 with a special needs child that has been sleeping in a truck stop in a small truck because there was nowhere to go, the local news told the story at 5 and by the 10 pm news show they had food, shelter and money. The people here are really helping out.

They are asking for all donations.

If anyone wants to make something, baby items or afghans, I would be more than happy to deliver them.

Keep them in your prayers .. I think these people will need plenty.

They will also need plenty of hugs....:hug:hug

Another way everyone can help, not only the Hurricane victims, but others in need is to DONATE blood!! The Red Cross is running low (according to the television newsflash we got today)...so please consider it!

Donna

Yes, there were also blood vans in our area today. They did pretty good here, because the people that couldn't give money wise, did give blood. So, one way or another everyone is helping out.

A large team of water rescuers left from our base today to help out. I pray for everyone and their families as they endure this horrible time. I have been watching it on the news...I hate that so many people are suffering and yet what they show is people looting on the news. I mean, you have no food and your house is gone..but do you really need the tv from Wal Mart? It drives me nuts to see that...let's here about the rescue stories, or what we can do to help!

Donna

Just a little note, if anyone or anyone you know donates to the Red Cross, please put a note that the donation is for the relief of Hurrican Katrina, that way we can make sure that the money is used for the refugees of the Hurricane.

Thanks

I made 2 monetary donations already one to the red cross and one to Noah's Animals which tries to rescue animals that are displaced due to catastrophe.

I can't donate blood otherwise that would of been done already too this whole thing has me devastated :(

I am a new crocheter but going to try and get something done to help :(

Praise the Lord - Kitten :) I'm so glad you heard from your friends.

Hollier - Please let us know when the local schelters will accept donations other than money - I would be happy to help supply them with what they will need.

I was to travel to NO next week for a meeting - the Hyatt is where I normally stay - very weird to see that beautiful city and people in such dispair.

But I know this - we as a country (on my soapbox now - but I feel I have to say this) will pull together as one family to help those who have been afflicted by this most recent natural disaster and as one family we all can help to get through this. - This was the feeling and emotion many people had after 9/11 up here as well. The outpouring of support - is amazing.

OK off soap box now.

Donna

I went and gave blood and they took almost 2 pints and normally they only take a pint at a time. My doctor had to okay it for they need my blood like asap for a guy that had a car wreck in okc city. I do my part normally 1 pint at a time.

I encourage you go and give for it is never a waste of time to give the gift of a life. Thanks all.

Amy and gettin off my soapbox.with my 2 cents:2c

I am going to ask my dh what they are doing for collections he works for the NYPD and they generally send lots of stuff to places like this so I have some left over babystuff from DD I will go through and have him bring for their package :) Along with whatever he donated cause he donates everytime they ask him

If I only knew how much he gave away every year I thin I might be in shock at the number

The shelters here are accepting any kinds of donations. Last night there was a list of things like toilet paper, paper plates, plastic spoons, forks, can goods, any non-perishable, you know stuff like that. They also needed sheets, blankets, pillows, clothes, etc. This morning the Governor said that everyone has to be evacuated from New Orleans because it is so bad and that no one can go back for a month or more. Did you guys see the man on TV last night that was crying because he lost his wife? I cried for 2 hours! He said they were all together ( his wife, his kids, grandkids, and him) when she gave up, asking him to take care of the kids and grandkids. I think she couldn't hold on anymore and let go? But it was heartbreaking to see this man crying because he was so lost without her.

If you guys need any kind of information from the shelters here, just ask and I'll try to find out anything you need to know.

And thanks for all the love!!:hug

Posted by hollier2002Did you guys see the man on TV last night that was crying because he lost his wife? I cried for 2 hours! He said they were all together ( his wife, his kids, grandkids, and him) when she gave up, asking him to take care of the kids and grandkids. I think she couldn't hold on anymore and let go? But it was heartbreaking to see this man crying because he was so lost without her.

I did see that the first time it was aired, I was up feeding the baby and had to turn it off. My hormones are post partum wacky right now and I woke my husband up I was crying so hard. Did anyone notice the reporter? I know they showed her the first time they aired it but the replays just have the man in it. She was crying as hard as he was. It made me realize that these reporters arent just flocking down there to get their story, They have put themselves in harms way to help the people who otherwise have no other way of communicateing.

P.S. How do you get quoted sections like the one above to show up in gray? I coppied and pasted it from underneath where I was writing my reply but it just showed up as plain text.

P.S. How do you get quoted sections like the one above to show up in gray? I coppied and pasted it from underneath where I was writing my reply but it just showed up as plain text.

Below each post in the lower right hand corner is a button that says quote, click it and it qoutes the whole post, if it's a specific area you wish to quote just erase the rest..

I have just made a donation as well, to the American Red Cross. I have a friend whose son is a freshman at LSU, and it's really scary, knowing someone who is there, and even miles away from home. I just feel so helpless! Hopefully things will improve very soon.

Archived