Huricane Katrina

Burgandy

California had a telethon last night and raised over $1.5 million dollars for the Red Cross! Our Governor has also "okay'd" sending 1500 National Guard troops to aid in the relief. It's a start is all I can say. It's hard for me to talk about what is going on...the south is my home and it hurts to see what is going on. That's all I will say about it. But...California is trying to do it's part! Now, if the other states would jump on the banwagon and pull together, we could make rebuilding, recovering and healing a priority!

Donna

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the local channels is having a food drive right now and people from Louisiana are walking up asking for food it's just incredible. There will be tons of help and fundraisers here I'm positive of that. They'll need alot of help for a long time.I plan on giving money and baby items. I also plan on making toys and items to give to the refugee kids.

My hubby just talked to a freind who lives ouside of New Orleans they went to a fast food place last night. There were people banging on their truck windows and hood trying to get money from them :eek

I thought they would never get there!!!!!!

While I understand everyone's despair and anger that aid should have reached these areas sooner, and I'm not trying to make this a "political" debate..I do have to stick up for our military. The National Guard and Active Servicemembers do what they are ordered. They can not just hop in a helicopter and be on their way to LA or MS. They follow orders. While I am sure they would have wanted to be there sooner, the situation had to be assessed and the safety of our military has to be considered.

Donna

Donna, I have to agree with you. My significant other is "AGR" or active guard reserve with the Oregon Army National Guard. His so-called nine to five job is making sure soldiers are mission ready. He works with a medivac unit out of Oregon. He has been working overtime getting troops ready to go. The only thing I can say is imagine taking your family on a two week vacation. Only thing is they don't know exactly where they are going. Then imagine that family is multiplied in size. You got to track old uncle Joe down to get him in the mini-van.

Anyways, they are all trying and working hard to get help where it is needed. The great thing is that many of his soldiers are calling in to the office and calling him at home asking: What can I do? Can I go?

We all are coming together to help.

Take care all

Elizabeth

Yeah for the National Guard!! Over the past couple of days, I have seen several convoys of trucks and assorted gray-green vehicles pass through here. It's a great sight and gives us all hope that some sort of normalcy will return one day!! Thanks to all the military spouses for all you give.

To those who say it took too long, please be aware that traveling south is very, very difficult. Roads are literally covered with trees and power lines. And further south there are places where the road is no more. I would imagine that the main roads have got to be somewhat clear before convoys can go through.

We also like seeing the convoys of tree clearing trucks that have also been going thru.

My husband is active duty....and I remember the Guard and Reserves being called "Weekend Warriors". I am sure you have heard the term. But, I have to say in the past few years America has seen what the Guard and Reserves can and will do for our country. Although it's not their "regular" job, they have shown without a doubt they can be Soldiers when our country calls upon. I commend your husband for wanting to serve our country. And I :clap you for standing beside him!

Donna

Donna, I have to agree with you. My significant other is "AGR" or active guard reserve with the Oregon Army National Guard. His so-called nine to five job is making sure soldiers are mission ready. He works with a medivac unit out of Oregon. He has been working overtime getting troops ready to go. The only thing I can say is imagine taking your family on a two week vacation. Only thing is they don't know exactly where they are going. Then imagine that family is multiplied in size. You got to track old uncle Joe down to get him in the mini-van.

Anyways, they are all trying and working hard to get help where it is needed. The great thing is that many of his soldiers are calling in to the office and calling him at home asking: What can I do? Can I go?

We all are coming together to help.

Take care all

Elizabeth

While I understand everyone's despair and anger that aid should have reached these areas sooner, and I'm not trying to make this a "political" debate..I do have to stick up for our military. The National Guard and Active Servicemembers do what they are ordered. They can not just hop in a helicopter and be on their way to LA or MS. They follow orders. While I am sure they would have wanted to be there sooner, the situation had to be assessed and the safety of our military has to be considered.

Donna

I understand what you are saying but I guess I should have stated exactly what I meant. What I meant was I thought that it was about time "somebody" got there with supplies. I didn't mean just the National Guard I meant I was glad someone got there with supplies. Sorry if I sounded snotty or something. I forget that when you just type what you are thinking that someone else might not understand what you are talking about. Anyway, I am happy to see supplies being delivered to the people of New Orleans that are stuck there.

I have just witnessed the most upsetting thing I have ever seen in my life, and it was in a civilised country. It is not the sort of news that i expect to see out of The "UNITED" States of America.

On our evening news we just saw footage of the problems being experienced by a group of very elderly women in a hospital in New Orleans. They had no food, water or air-con and were dying where they lay. The people trying to care for them were grief stricken and in tears at what was happening before their eyes.

This just did it for me. I cannot hold my tongue any more.

I cannot believe, that in such a great country that the US obviously is, help was not right there the minute this disaster happened. It is not like anyone needed to go to another country.

Surely the Red Cross and other similar organisations have a stockpile of water, dried food, medicines etc.

Look how everyone rallied to the tsunami relief. Immediately, not after 4 days.

Back to the old ladies. Five buses finally arrived to take these people to safety and again the care-givers were in tears at the sheer relief that help had finally arrived, too late for many but great for some.

I guess I was seeing my 89yr old mum, who is unable to help herself in any way, being deserted and not understanding just what was going on.

I cried for these people.

This is just a drop in the bucket. No doubt the tragic stories can be multiplied by hundreds or even thousands.

You have to even feel sorry for some of the looters, they must feel as though the world has forgotten them. Why you would want to steal TVs etc though still has me confused.

I cannot imagine the absolute horror of surviving the storm only to die of thirst or starvation.

That is my rant and I hope you good people will understand my bewilderment at what is happening to so many of your own.

What a shame that I am so far away, I just wish I could help some of those people.

Thank you for letting me say this even though I know it will not help feed or hydrate anyone but in the future maybe others will stand up and yell for the voiceless.

LOVE TO ALL.:hug

"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS."

Colleen

I have just witnessed the most upsetting thing I have ever seen in my life, and it was in a civilised country. It is not the sort of news that i expect to see out of The "UNITED" States of America.

On our evening news we just saw footage of the problems being experienced by a group of very elderly women in a hospital in New Orleans. They had no food, water or air-con and were dying where they lay. The people trying to care for them were grief stricken and in tears at what was happening before their eyes.

This just did it for me. I cannot hold my tongue any more.

I cannot believe, that in such a great country that the US obviously is, help was not right there the minute this disaster happened. It is not like anyone needed to go to another country.

Surely the Red Cross and other similar organisations have a stockpile of water, dried food, medicines etc.

Look how everyone rallied to the tsunami relief. Immediately, not after 4 days.

Back to the old ladies. Five buses finally arrived to take these people to safety and again the care-givers were in tears at the sheer relief that help had finally arrived, too late for many but great for some.

I guess I was seeing my 89yr old mum, who is unable to help herself in any way, being deserted and not understanding just what was going on.

I cried for these people.

This is just a drop in the bucket. No doubt the tragic stories can be multiplied by hundreds or even thousands.

You have to even feel sorry for some of the looters, they must feel as though the world has forgotten them. Why you would want to steal TVs etc though still has me confused.

I cannot imagine the absolute horror of surviving the storm only to die of thirst or starvation.

That is my rant and I hope you good people will understand my bewilderment at what is happening to so many of your own.

What a shame that I am so far away, I just wish I could help some of those people.

Thank you for letting me say this even though I know it will not help feed or hydrate anyone but in the future maybe others will stand up and yell for the voiceless.

LOVE TO ALL.:hug

"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS."

Colleen

You noticed too?? That is what I meant in an earlier post. What took them so long??? I know it's not the National Guard, it is the one giving the orders, like our governor. I don't think she knows what she is doing and this is not the first time she has shown her incapabiliites. I just hope everyone that is sick gets the help that they need. I am just wondering what these people are going to do for a couple of years because they can't go home. By the time they can go home they might not want to. My husband says that they might not be able to rebuild New Orleans and it might become Lake Front property. Not a good thought.

It is easy for us to sit back and talk about what should have been done and what time frame it should have been done in. Just like when the War started..it was easy for everyone to sit in their nice, comfortable home and complain. It's always easy to put others down for not doing what you think they should have done. When the Hurricane "ended", the massive groups of people scattered..to neighboring cities and states. It is impossible to reach each survivor when they are all over the place! The Red Cross and our military is doing the best they can do with the situation. It's not their fault that aid isn't reaching the areas in the time you want it to.

I'm sorry if I sound snotty...but this is MY country and I do NOT appreciate it being put down or talked about because of something that was seen on television. You don't see the rescue stories or the stories of hope. It isn't "good" news. Why didn't the reporter bring along water and food? Because it isn't "good" news. Just like right after 9-11, there was a large company that donated winter coats..not the ideal donation. But the city of New York was put down for not using them. I mean come on. America pulls together and we do help the ones that need us....but that doesn't get ratings on the television network.

This use to be a "crochet" board...a place to discuss our projects and things we were working on, had questions on. Nowadays it's more of a debate forum. While I understand this diaster struck and we want to help, I do not appreciate the way it's being handled here. As an American, I would expect to come here to find people wanting to help with donations, discussing what their local Red Cross needs from crafters...instead my country if being bombed with opinions and critizism. I hope something is done about this soon.

Donna

150 of my husbands fellow police officers from the NYPD are the unfortunate members to begin recovering the dead. These are the same men and women who had to sort through the rubble at ground zero and I am praying for these people who have already seen so much death and destruction in their lives.

We were in no way prepared for a disaster of this magnatude I for one just pray that there is no more violence. I am fortunate my families lives were spared but they now have nothing.

I also believe in the power of prayer and I am thankful I live in the US where everyone pitches in to help.

I finally got one piece of good news, I can start helping one on one soon. We are expecting between 400 and 700 people in El Paso sometime in the next day or two. I can finally help face to face. We have already started contacting some of our co-workers who lost everything and putting together packages. I found tshirts at sams for $8 and jeans for $12, I wound up spending over $220 yesterday but it still didn't feel like enough tho.

I finally got one piece of good news, I can start helping one on one soon. We are expecting between 400 and 700 people in El Paso sometime in the next day or two. I can finally help face to face. We have already started contacting some of our co-workers who lost everything and putting together packages. I found tshirts at sams for $8 and jeans for $12, I wound up spending over $220 yesterday but it still didn't feel like enough tho.

That is great that you are able to help one on one. I wonder if you told Sams what the items were for if they would donate them, or at least lower the price for you? Just a thought! My prayers are with you as you help!

Donna

150 of my husbands fellow police officers from the NYPD are the unfortunate members to begin recovering the dead. These are the same men and women who had to sort through the rubble at ground zero and I am praying for these people who have already seen so much death and destruction in their lives.

We were in no way prepared for a disaster of this magnatude I for one just pray that there is no more violence. I am fortunate my families lives were spared but they now have nothing.

I also believe in the power of prayer and I am thankful I live in the US where everyone pitches in to help.

I :clap your husband for the job he does. Not only as a NY Police Officer, but also for doing the one job no one wants to "really" do. The hard job of recovering remains. It takes a special person to do such a job, not once but twice! My prayers are with him as he makes the trip.

Donna

It is easy for us to sit back and talk about what should have been done and what time frame it should have been done in. Just like when the War started..it was easy for everyone to sit in their nice, comfortable home and complain. It's always easy to put others down for not doing what you think they should have done. When the Hurricane "ended", the massive groups of people scattered..to neighboring cities and states. It is impossible to reach each survivor when they are all over the place! The Red Cross and our military is doing the best they can do with the situation. It's not their fault that aid isn't reaching the areas in the time you want it to.

First of all, I wasn't putting anyone down, all I said was ... it's about time they brought supplies into NEW ORLEANS.. I didn't say anything about all the people that went to other places before the hurricane because they are all being taken care of. I am talking about the people that can't get out NOW. They can't get out and supplies weren't brought in until friday. And I didn't say anything about the red cross, national guard, military, etc.. because they arent' the ones that give orders, governors and presidents do.

I'm sorry this thread has come to this, but I hear these complaints every day because alot of New Orleans is calling my town home. And being that this town isn't very big, we know who they are and we help out as much as we can. Our fire department cooks dinner for them everyday, if they can't cook it, the local restaurants volunteer to cook that night. Our community has been affected because of this too, we may not be underwater, but we have to worry about all the extra people here. And by the way, I wasn't complaining.

Okay, getting back to the topic of crocheting for charity...

I received an email from our local chapter of Project Linus. It read as follows:

This week, I have received messages and calls from many people wondering if we can deliver Project Linus blankets to hurricane victims. The answer is YES.

For storm victims, the blankets need to be light weight quilts, flannel receiving blankets or single layer fleece.

No knit or crochet blankets are being sent, but they can certainly help meet local needs.

As always, Project Linus blankets are hand made and washable, not less than 36" square and no larger than twin bed size. A Project Linus label will be added, as will a tag showing the donation came from Central Florida, so the recipients (and their parents) will know we are thinking of them.

Please deliver blankets to the normal Project Linus drop off sites with a note if they are to be sent to storm victims. Remember, too, that local needs will not abate during this recovery time. They will swell with the assimilation of displaced families.

Your contributions are always important and gratefully accepted.

Susan

Susan Murphy,

Chapter Coordinator

Project Linus

Central Florida Chapter

1021 Wald Rd

Orlando, Florida 32806-6352

National Web Site: http://projectlinus.org/index.html

Over 1.3 million blankets donated to children in need of a warm hug

I just heard from someone on my pet group that they will be relocating about 3000 people to Minnesota temporarily, some may decide to stay, and mentioning that warm clothing will be needed for this rapidly coming winter. So if what you want to make is blankets, sweaters, hats, scarves, mittens, etc. here is your chance. It looks like people will be needing anything and everything we can offer, just maybe not all at first.

Kathy

Temporary housing has been set up in my hometown of Memphis, TN. Mostly victims from MS have been related there. I don't have an offical count, but so far I have had reports of 1500 people. As soon as I get more information, I will let you know. I am sure they could use a blanket!

Donna

I emailed the Houson Project Linus Chapter. With this:

> Hello. I am curious to know if your chapter is needing

> blankets to distribute to the evacuees of LA/Hurricane

> Katrina.

This is the response I got:

Hi Laura,

We have had lots and lots of people coming into Houston with more

on

the way, so I'm sure we can find a need for all the blankets that are

sent

our way. We are just now beginning to locate places where we can make

deliveries. It looks like this will be on going for a while. Sally

I'm thinking that if you want to send blankets for the kids, they would find a way to distribute them. I got the email from the main Project Linus website, there is an address there as well.

Archived