2012 Special Olympics Scarf Project

cris

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another one -- a variation of my Ripple-band Accessories scarf pattern. For this version, ch 26 to start to make scarf 6” wide, as specified for the Special Olympics scarf project. Work alternating color blocks for 10" (22 rows, 11 ridges), 3 blocks each color for a total of 60” long. So easy & fast, I made this one in about 3 hours while watching a baseball game!

post-25877-135897659967_thumb.jpg

I wish I could get the Soft Red Heart Super Saver locally. Our Walmart had a few colors briefly, then suddenly clearanced them out. I was excited to hear that Red Heart is giving a special discounted price on these colors when you order online! Yay! But.... it seems the Soft super Saver sizes are sold out in those colors. They are offering the Color Soft Navy and Cherry Red in Supersaver size for $2.99 http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=424&ProjectID=3 So that is nice. I just wanted to make my scarves with the SOFT! (Do you see a big old 50+ year old pout going on? I have always been good with the bottom lip out bit! LOL!)

So excited! Just checked the list of states and my state (Kentucky) is participating this year!

Now, I must go shop for yarn. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone's scarves look so great! I'm excited to be participating on hooking up some scarves for 2012's games. I'm in the middle of my first one right now. Actually put it down to visit Crochetville. lol

I am so excited to see this!!! I haven't been on the net much for a while and today I popped in. I was able to pick up a skein of each color today and now I'm hunting up a pattern that I think is just right :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I was going through my closet, when I realized I had some yarn for this year's project! I got a little sidetracked this summer with a new grandbaby & had forgotten about it! :blush

I went online & discovered the project is still going! I have two brothers-in-law who have been Special Olympians in the state of Wisconsin, so I'm am going to make two scarves & donate them in their honor! I checked & the Wisconsin is asking that we don't mail the scarves until the first week of January, so I've got plenty of time! You can go to the webpage here & see what the dates are for the state of your choice.

Hi everyone,

I went online & discovered the project is still going! I have two brothers-in-law who have been Special Olympians in the state of Wisconsin, so I'm am going to make two scarves & donate them in their honor! I checked & the Wisconsin is asking that we don't mail the scarves until the first week of January, so I've got plenty of time! You can go to the webpage here & see what the dates are for the state of your choice.

I just checked the site and the Special Olympics are in my city, not only do i get to crochet a scarf or two but I can watch them too.

I'm on my 4th scarf,sending four to NY,then working on Va. and NC

Angelfire,thats neat that they are close enough to go to,I guess our nearby one would be the Oceanfront of VA Beach for their Polar Plunge

Archived