Well I'm Not A Miracle!

Today I received the e-mail newsletter from Debbie Macomber and was so hyped and psyched about getting a link to a pattern for the great scarf that was worn by Doris Roberts in "Call Me Mrs. Miracle". I loved that scarf!

Not even thinking, just because it was on a Knitter's Magazine website it would not be anything other than a knit pattern, when I got the page opened, I screamed "Noooooooooooo, I don't knit!"

Such a dilemma. Anyway, for those that do knit, here is the link to their free pattern...... (as she sulks off into the depths of a great "I don't knit depression" and start looking on YouTube for help. :lol

Scarf

Knitting is slower, but it's fun too. Remember there are a zillion ways to do it and nothing counts except the way it looks when you're done. Try some of the versions of Continental knitting. It's easier for crocheters a good bit of the time because most of us already hold the hook in one hand and yarn in the other.

And thanbk you for the link. That's very pretty!

Also mentioned in that newsletter was Debbie Macomber's "Knit One Bless Two" charity. That is for both Crocheters and Knitters who want to support project linus, warm-up America and one other charity (that supplies infant items).

This scarf is actually easy. You only need to learn the knit stitch. You don't need to learn how to purl. There are yarn overs, but you already know how to wrap yarn around a crochet hook, so that won't be hard!

I highly recommend the videos at knittinghelp.com. That's how I was finally successful in learning to knit after trying multiple times over 30 years or so. You can watch the videos over and over and over, and not feel stupid (like I did) if I had to ask someone to show me something that many times.

For those who are interested in knitting, did you know we even have two knitting areas here at Crochetville? Since we're a crochet site, we know not everyone is interested in seeing knitting stuff here, so we've created these areas as "special interest groups." You have to sign up for them in order to see them, but once you do, they'll appear on the main Crochetville index page and in New Post searches just like any other folder here.

To access the knitting groups, go to your User CP, then click on "Group Memberships" under the Networking tab on the left. You can sign up for either or both: Beginning Knitters and Experienced Knitters. Somebody feel free to start a Knit-Along for the scarf in Beginning Knitters! :)

I am so glad so many are going to enjoy this pattern.

All the suggestions to get me kickstarted are wonderful. Thank you all. I too have tried to learn since I was a child (many, many years ago), even from my mother who tried to teach me the Continental style.

I spent the better part of this afternoon and this evening trying to get the basics. I must have played the knittinghelp.com videos a gazillion times. No problem with the casting on. Got that down the first time around. It is the knit st that is getting my patience. I put it down a few times and would crochet :hook a few rows on my afghan then go back to the needles. I will persevere (and hopefully survive). Maybe I should get out some Donna Summer music- I Will Survive for inspiration. :lol

Maybe this little poem will help you learn the knit stitch:

"In through the front door,

Run around the back,

Hop through the window,

Off jumps Jack."

i was going to suggest something like this, that my instructor used when i finally learned how to knit last yr (took me 35 yrs for it to click and work out).

hers was

you go out the front door to get the paper,

walk around the house

come back in the front door

and throw out yesterdays paper.

yours is better cuz it rhymes.

w/ learning a new skill, remember, back long ago when you learned to crochet. you didnt pick it up and get it right the very 1st time. it took time and practice and patience. knitting is the same. persevere and you will get it :) remember, YOU CAN DO IT!!

Archived