How do I break the habit ???

I can't seem to let my projects go ! A year ago, I made my four sisters and Mother 'ghans, but everything I've made sense then, I can't seem to let go!!

I literally have 3 'ghans/throws on my bed, two in the closet, and I'm working on another one !

Help!

(ya know, the thing is ... I don't really WANT help ! I want to keep ALL the 'ghans I make ! I'm incurable .... )

i sort of know how you feel...there are some things that I just want to keep...but fortunately many things I make I give away...

And this is wrong....HOW?????? If you enjoy having your handmade items around you then I say go for it.

Be Warned though......they comingle in corners, chairs, sofas, under the bed in the closets, totes, baskets and bags.....and multiply like crazy.

Hugs,

Barbara

There's a lot of hard and long work that goes into afghans. Don't ever make something for someone who might possibly give it away or take it to a consignment shop - you'll end up heartbroken.

Have you made afghans for yourself yet? Set out on a quest to make a ghan for every room, for the foot of your bed, for the rocking chair, for the kids, for the dog, for every space you can use or want one.

Once you have your own ghans it should be easier to let the others go.

I was thinking to try making small, baby size afghans as a starter and give them to a local charity. Once you've made a few, and given them away to someone that needs them, the letting go will come easier.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Hi, I used to "collect " them too, but last year, and this year, I have given away so many, knowing they're going to good homes, and people who will cherish them, and to hear all the oooohs and ahhhhs, when they receive them, sure does make it easier! The feeling of giving lasts a long long time too, and knowing all they good it brings to someone else, think of it that way, and you'll see, beats storing them under your bed, and in your closet.. (oh, psssst, I have a couple put away in a bin or two, but hey, other than that, lol)

I am the opposite, I get something done and I want it gone....I want to get on to something else and if I have to much around it bothers me... I have made hundreds of hats and afghans for the local hospital and as soon as I get about 10 or so, I drop them off... I agree, once you see that someone appreciates your hard work it is easier to give them away... but if you want to keep them, then by all means keep them, they are yours!! Enjoy

I crochet to give not to keep. Just remember that you will get a blessing by giving and you don't get that by keeping!!

I do have a few items I've hoarded for myself..but heaven forbid someone likes what I have or it will probably be gone.

Maybe you need to keep a "baby" photo album :lol

Other than gifts for special people, my crochet is donated to various organizations. And yes, it is hard at times to give something away, especially when you put a lot of time and work into it and you fall in love with it. But then I know that somewhere, someone is in need of warmth, whether it is an afghan or hat and scarf or even a simple headband so I take pictures and then donate it.

I do have a few items that I made for myself though.

LI Roe

It can be hard to let something go after you put a lot of time and love into it. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I also love the recipient very much, which is why I chose to spend a portion of my life crafting something special for him or her. At least for me, the only way I can truly tell someone I love them is to give of myself, and my handcrafts are one way I can do this. Having said that, I make many things for myself as well. But how wonderful it is to have the skills to make things for other people!

My only interest is in the making... then I want it gone somewhere.

I made a black doilyghan which is quite nice but I can't find anyone within 30 miles who will take the thing.

Been there, done that, hated the T-shirt.

Guess I'm saying that I don't share the OP's sentiments. :rofl

For me, I don't set out to make things for myself but... My problem with giving things away is in the constant worry over whether or not the recipient will like it? Is it good enough? Will they laugh at it??? I have a sister who doesn't think much of the work I do so my feelings and fears crop up with every project. I wind up with all these projects I hadn't meant to keep boxed up and sitting in plastic totes in my garage. :lol

For me, I don't set out to make things for myself but... My problem with giving things away is in the constant worry over whether or not the recipient will like it?

That is how I feel, so I'd rather give my projects to charity - homeless, shelters, hospitals, etc. because I think will be appreciated.

bailey

• 2 weeks later...

Archived