Yarn Bowls

I saw some a few weeks ago.. I was tempted to buy one. The gal had hand thrown them on a wheel and even had rabbits on them (my other passion lol). If I see her this weekend at the big rabbit show here in Washington I will maybe splurge and buy one..

What is a "Yarn Bowl"?

Here is an example of one that is already sold: http://www.etsy.com/listing/45424204/sweet-on-mom-polka-dot-yarn-bowl-hand

I have been tempted but the price has kept me from ordering one (usually $35-45). In person, where I could really see it, I would probably go ahead. If I was stilldoing craft shows I would find a pottery person and work a trade. But will just have to get up off the money if I want one now. :)

Here is an example of one that is already sold: http://www.etsy.com/listing/45424204/sweet-on-mom-polka-dot-yarn-bowl-hand

I have been tempted but the price has kept me from ordering one (usually $35-45). In person, where I could really see it, I would probably go ahead. If I was stilldoing craft shows I would find a pottery person and work a trade. But will just have to get up off the money if I want one now. :)

I was really tempted cause they are so pretty. but my luck I'd spend all that money then me (or 1 of the cats) would break it. If I get one, I've decided it will be wooden.

I, too, have been looking at the yarn bowls. When I have some extra, extra money I will be getting at least one to try it out, since I wind my yarn into a ball before I ever start my project.

WOW, those bowls are extraordinary and quite lovely. Not sure I would find them overly practical but they definitely are a conversation piece. I've never seen any of them offered in my neck of the woods. Thanks, DebraKay, for the link. Even if they are a bit pricey, I sure enjoyed drooling over them.

I've never seen those before. those are cool!

My grandmother must have made the rough prototype for those. LOL!

She would save plastic 1/2 gal ice cream tubs, take the top off, poke a hole in the top and use it to hold her yarn that she was using. She was a great believer in making a ball before starting a project. Worked great!

Those are beautiful! Now I have to bug my hubby to buy me a bunch of them with different patterns on them and in different sizes. Maybe I can get him to get me one for my birthday.

On a side note: when I saw the topic and read the little balloon that popped up, I thought it was about bowls made of yarn being used.:lol

Hugs and Cookies

I had never heard of them and found one on Etsy I was drooling over. A co-worker looked at and said, "You could take some of this newspaper we recycle and make one out of paper mache. Then it would be nearly free." Hmm. It wouldn't have the weight to steady it, but that's not a bad idea. I have some stone coasters I don't use. I wonder if those could be incorporated into the bottom. I'll have think about this!

Thank you for the great idea DDC. I'm gonna have to start hoarding the newspapers from my lobby and give that a shot. I just hope the family doesn't mind me stealing all the bowls from the kitchen for the basic shape.

Hugs and Cookies

In Girl Scouts we made yarn totes from oat meal containers. We covered it with contact paper (for cabinet shelves), punched a hole in the lid and added a braided yarn handle. Then we learned basic knitting and made scarves :lol.

Ellie 13

Hm. Bet I could take a wooden bowl, rout the slot, then polish it up so the ball would spin....

I would love to see a wooden one! I bet it wouldn't even be that difficult...you could even wood burn a design on the outside...

I would love to see a wooden one! I bet it wouldn't even be that difficult...you could even wood burn a design on the outside...

I actually contacted an Etsy seller that makes wooden bowls; he's going to make me a wooden yarn bowl. The pottery ones are beautiful, but it would get broken eventually in my house.

I'll post a pic when I get it, 4-6 weeks for curing.

Hm. Bet I could take a wooden bowl, rout the slot, then polish it up so the ball would spin....

That's what I did, one wooden bowl from Goodwill 99 cents, one husband with a drill priceless = one wooden yarn bowl. :cheer

• 1 year later...

I first saw them in a Herschner's catalog. They are awesome and so expensive. Often I've used the plastic soda bottle by cutting the bottom and putting the yarn in, replace the bottom and the yarn comes out the top where the lid was.

But after seeing those bowls, I scoured my cupboards and found a great ceramic bowl I never use and just set it on my big chair next to me with the ball of yarn and it works great! :cheer

Here's the bowl I'm using. It's holding a full skein of Serenity Chunky weight. I'd like to find a deeper bowl but this is working just fine and I love the old fashioned yellow color. :yes

post-54883-135897708583_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Like many of you I can't justify spending that much money on a yarn bowl. I crochet with a lapdesk in my lap and all my tools in front of me. I use overturned terracotta pots to hold my yarn. I got this cute pot from a friend many years ago (I killed the plant...lol)... but it works great as a yarn holder. I have since bought a bigger pot for larger balls.

YarnPot.jpg

Yarnpot1.jpg

Last year I went faithfully to a knitting/crocheting group. One of the gals there brought up the subject of yarn bowls. She had went to a second hand store and bought a very pretty bowl that she liked. So the challenge was for all of us to find a bowl too. Some used bowls that they had others went out and purchased a bowl they liked. It really was fun to see what everyone came up with.

I have used the big plastic pop bottles that you can fix to use for skiens of yarn. It really does keep the yarn clean esp. if your taking it with you on the go.

I also have used the icecream pail which is nice cause if its a smaller project you can just stick the whole thing in it.

Another idea the plastic coffee creamer containers for smaller skeins of yarn.

Archived