Create YOUR Perfect Crochet Magazine

Crocheters have so many varied interests, that it would be pretty impossible to create a single magazine that every crocheter would consider perfect. I thought it might be interesting to see what each of us would consider to be a "perfect" crochet magazine.

If you'd like to share what your favorite crochet magazine would look like, please answer any or all of the following questions. Feel free to add any additional requirements of your own, too, because I'm sure I didn't think of everything that would be needed to make a magazine perfect!

* Should the magazine have a specific focus or contains lots of different types of patterns? If you want a focused magazine, what should the focus be (high-fashion clothing, home decor, baby stuff, amigurumi, etc.)?

* What types of regular columns would you want to see?

* What types of special articles would you like to see?

* How should the patterns be written? (charts, schematics, etc.)

* Do you want any special types of photos included with the patterns?

* How many pages should the magazine be?

* How much should the magazine cost? (Please give a reasonable figure, that would allow the publishing company to pay all staff and production costs [pattern contributors, editors, photographers, printers, shipping, and so on] and don't say it should be free. :D)

Have instructions for different levels of ease for the same article (even if it means changes to the project) for a few projects in each issue. Not all of us are clever enough to make changes to things on our own.

Don't have pages with stupid, useless, expensive crocheting 'toys.' (i. e. things to help you)

Have binding (ring?) so each page lies flat.

Have photos with the instructions for articles of clothing showing both front and back. The same goes for some objects; you don't need it for afghans or pillows or scarves.

Don't have interviews with people who do things barely related to crochet.

* I love magazines that do not focus on just one type of pattern. I think it's important to have a good variety, especially in difficulty and types of patterns. I might see something I never would have thought of trying before.

* I would love to see an article each issue highlighting an indie designer. It's really interesting to see what unique things people come up with that the big box companies don't publish.

* I love history, so anything related to the history of crochet would be awesome in my opinion.

* I prefer written directions. I think a lot of people have trouble with charts, so I would steer clear of that. However, if learned, language becomes less of a barrier.

* Photos of special stitches and joining techniques would be great.

* It doesn't matter to me how many pages the magazine is, as long as it includes at least several really good quality patterns.

* In all honesty, I don't like paying much more than $7 or $8 an issue. I would probably be buying the magazine for the patterns and I doubt I would make many of them.

More wearables! Decent, practical wearables that you can actually wear year after year, instead of the usual faddy stuff you see in magazines.

My ideal magazine would have a lot of other things besides patterns; in fact patterns would not be the main focus.

There would be articles on designers, interviews talking about how they design and their experiences getting into the field.

Interviews with editors and publishers talking about how they choose patterns for publication (lol I realize that's not very realistic, I doubt if they would actually discuss that but it would make interesting reading)

There would be features on historical crochet pieces, discussing the general construction, with closeup photos. Also crochet from around the world, ethnic crochet currently being produced.

Articles on crochet artists, showing some of their work, and discussing how they create. Articles on freeform, showing new pieces.

Informative how-to articles on neat techniques like chainless foundation, different ways to begin rows, joining motifs, shaping in stitch pattern. Articles on yarn substitution, getting gauge, blocking. Articles on using different fibers, such as linen, bamboo.

Good book reviews, not just blurbs saying how wonderful every book is. Reviews of new yarns, with photos of swatches, and notes on how well it crochets, launders, blocks, and some wear-testing.

Only a few (if any!) patterns would be in each issue, and they would have very interesting construction and/or sttich patterns. they would be mainly garments. Instead of each garment having sizes from xs to xxxl, each would be in the size range it works best in. there would be equal numbers of petite, "average", and plus sized patterns. the qualities of suggested yarn would be listed, to help with yarn substitution. Photos would show multiple views. All of the stitch patterns and shaping would be shown in diagrams. there would be schematics showing measurements for all sizes. Once in a while there would be a pattern that includes a bit of knitting.

Regular columns: it would be cool to have a column by somebody from CGOA.

If there were a magazine like this, i would buy it even if it cost $20 an issue. Having it available digitally would be a bonus so back issues would be readily available, though I would buy it in hard copy.

# of pages: the more the better! and I don't mind ads at all, i like to look at ads for new yarns, new books and patterns coming out.

* Should the magazine have a specific focus or contains lots of different types of patterns? If you want a focused magazine, what should the focus be (high-fashion clothing, home decor, baby stuff, amigurumi, etc.)?

I would LOVE to see a specific focused crochet magazine of nothing but "experienced" patterns...something to really sink my teeth into and challenge me and teach me new skills.

Designing, how to design...questions and answers on designing

Spotlight on different types of crocheting and the people who do them...or even articles on different shops and even to yarn factories...

While I'm a very visual person, I do better with the written word with my patterns, I love clear and detailed pictures, charts are a must obviously if the technique is chart driven...schematics are a must for wearables where measurements matter...international charts, I'm still getting use to them...they are helpful when the written word fails me or the picture of the project isn't clear...

Hmmmm...other than a clear shot of the completed project, can't think of anything...however, for really technical things, photos would be good for that, AND a link address within the magazine to go on the 'net for videos to demonstrate complicated stitch work would be beyond awesome.

* How many pages should the magazine be? The size of Crochet! or Interweave Crochet would be great.

* How much should the magazine cost? (Please give a reasonable figure, that would allow the publishing company to pay all staff and production costs [pattern contributors, editors, photographers, printers, shipping, and so on] and don't say it should be free. :D)

For a magazine like that, which I grant, would serve a limited targeted audience, honestly I would happily pay $10.00 an issue and willingly pay $50.00+ a subscription, even if it was just 4 issues a year...

I say all this because honestly I feel that for the experienced and very experienced crocheter, we are woefully underserved. Most things right now are truly targeted to the Beginner and Intermediate Crocheter and that's great, but I'm HUNGRY for some hard core challenges in crocheting.

My perfect crochet magazine would have:

a varied mix of patterns - of all types and for all skill levels

clear,concise &accurate written instructions with charts & schematics

pattern instructions that follow onto the next page - no "continued on page 66" for me thanks :lol

plus size patterns modeled by plus size people, if a sweater goes up to a 5xl I want to see it on someone who is a 5xl

I will happily pay up to £5 for a pattern magazine but no more than that.

I'm sure there are more but these are the things I can think of at the moment :)

Informative how-to articles on neat techniques like chainless foundation, different ways to begin rows, joining motifs, shaping in stitch pattern. Articles on yarn substitution, getting gauge, blocking. Articles on using different fibers, such as linen, bamboo.

I agree...it's all about technique for me...I would like to learn something new in each magazine. I feel like experts/designers are stingy with helpful information. For example, I would like to not just learn a new stitch, but also how to work it in rows, how to work it in the round, and how to increase/decrease it.

I have to agree with Eurolyons...we need more for the experienced/very experienced crocheters!

I like charts but I think that they should be accompanied by written instructions...

My "perfect" crochet magazine would actually be alot like Crochet Fantasy. They did a great job of mixing up the patterns. There was always plenty of patterns in their issues.

I do like the idea of "Meet Our Designer" section.

I think wearables should show front and back so that there is no surprises.

Most of the magazines have stopped publishing little things like magnets, pencil toppers, and such. These were cute ways to use up the itty bitty scraps.

A crochet magazine that would allow a person to sell the finished items, within a reasonable amount. I think it is crazy that I have all these patterns that I would love to make but nobody I know will use them. Plus it would help recoup the cost of the magazine.

Price: At or around $20 a year.

I currently subscribe to Crochet World. I wish it were a bit longer!

I would like to see a crochet charity profiled each month.

It might include one or two items per issue that are Bazzar/Craft Sale friendly.

A Show and Tell feature for readers to share what they have made from the patterns in the magazine (maybe this would be online?)

More items for teens and tweens!

Coupons for HL/Joann's/Michael's etc.

Not too much baby (JMO)

Price: about $3-5 newsstand

* I would love to see lots of different types of patterns. Everything from kitsch to household items to wearables of all sizes from infant to adult (especially in realistic plus sizes up to at least a 4x.) High fashion is fine, and I wouldn't mind seeing an item in each issue, but these patterns seem to be showing up all over these days and I just don't see myself wearing anything like that. I like trendy, but conservatively so...

I'd also love to see designs featuring new or unusual stitch patterns and techniques. Designs featuring new and exciting, but reasonably priced yarns. (I recently saw a sweater that I would have loved to make with the suggested yarn, but it would have cost me almost $200 to purchase enough for my size :()

I also agree with the others that have said they would like to see more advanced patterns. I love a good challenge!

Oh, and anything "join-as-you-go!" I absolutely love this technique for everything including wearables. (Think Robin Chachula's Blue Print Crochet book.) And wearables that are worked from the top down. (Think Doris Chan.)

* A regular feature with a long forgotten antique (but not old fashioned) stitch pattern or technique would be awesome. Also new techniques or a new or uncommon stitch of the month/issue. (The ones I see in magazines now just seem to the the same old thing.)

* I would love to see a featured designer in each issue. Perhaps an old favorite, or someone just breaking on to the scene that shows great potential.

* "...(charts, schematics, etc.)" In a perfect world I'd say, "All of the above!" But I know that is not possible due to limited space. Charts are my favorite, but depending on the pattern, sometimes a written version is the only way to make sense of it. Schematics are an absolute must if it is a wearable.

* I know photo tutorials are all the rage right now, but honestly, (no offense to anyone) they annoy me. I know how to read a pattern and would much rather follow along that way. That said, if there's a brand new technique or pattern being introduced that I won't likely find elsewhere with a simple web search, then real photos are a must. The sketches just don't give a true sense of what is really happening.

Also on this topic, I totally agree with Kookaloo Starr about keeping the patterns on consecutive pages!

* "How many pages..." As many as it takes. My first inclination is to say as many as possible, but I wouldn't want to pay for a magazine that is mostly filler/fluff just to make it appear to have more content than it actually does. (Did that make sense? :lol) As long as there are a good number of quality patterns and articles that would interest me, it doesn't matter to me how many (or how few) pages.

* Cost is a touchy subject. Everyone sets a different value on what pleases them. In all honesty, I don't see myself paying more than $8 per issue. Though I realize it may cost more than that to produce the "perfect" magazine and still turn a profit. I might possibly more if there were several patterns that I would realistically make, but money is an issue for me, so anything more might not fit into my budget. I would not at all be adverse to seeing ads if it would help offset the cost to the consumer. :yarn

My "perfect" crochet magazine would actually be alot like Crochet Fantasy. They did a great job of mixing up the patterns. There was always plenty of patterns in their issues.

I do like the idea of "Meet Our Designer" section.

I think wearables should show front and back so that there is no surprises.

Most of the magazines have stopped publishing little things like magnets, pencil toppers, and such. These were cute ways to use up the itty bitty scraps.

A crochet magazine that would allow a person to sell the finished items, within a reasonable amount. I think it is crazy that I have all these patterns that I would love to make but nobody I know will use them. Plus it would help recoup the cost of the magazine.

Price: At or around $20 a year.

Oh Amen to the bolded...

Just to shed a little light on why we don't normally see wearables from the back in books and magazines...

Doris Chan described her experience attending the photo shoot for her Everyday Crochet book on her blog by the same name. The garments are not made to fit the models as shown. In order to get a good photo, they have clip, pin, pinch, or whatever else to get the picture to look as flawless as possible. You can see Doris's post on the subject here.

Just to shed a little light on why we don't normally see wearables from the back in books and magazines...

Doris Chan described her experience attending the photo shoot for her Everyday Crochet book on her blog by the same name. The garments are not made to fit the models as shown. In order to get a good photo, they have clip, pin, pinch, or whatever else to get the picture to look as flawless as possible. You can see Doris's post on the subject here.

Dontcha love Doris' blog?

But even a picture of the garment on a hanger would give you some info. Or they could move all the pins and clips around to the front:lol, and take a quick shot of the back.

This has been an interesting thread that has made me think.

--> I would rather a magazine that caters to a more specific than general type of crochet. For example, one that focuses on children and baby items or one that is all "popular designs". Or, it would even be better if each issue focused on a different genra. Baby items one issue, home things the next.

-->I would love it if there were one column that focused on a specific technique that featured a small project to get the feel for the technique and then a larger project that also utilized the technique. (I am beginning to explore new techniques and methods, but it is daunting to make a large project utilizing something new. A sense of accomplishment would be nice, and if you had to frog the project several times, you wouldn't be upset if it were a small item.)

-->I like interviews with designers and famous people who crochet, although it would be nice for a magazine to hi-lite one or two "everyday" crocheters.

-->I like written instructions with schematics to visualize a more tricky set of stiches.

-->I want to see the project from all sides.

-->As I prefer a more specified magazine, I would be happy with a 35 page or so magazine, that featured around 10 patterns. (I dislike having a magazine that has 20 patterns, of which I may make just 1 or 2 patterns. I would prefer to have fewer patterns included, but more that catered to the types of item I typically make.)

* How much should the magazine cost? (Please give a reasonable figure, that would allow the publishing company to pay all staff and production costs [pattern contributors, editors, photographers, printers, shipping, and so on] and don't say it should be free. )

-->$5 would be a great price point, and perhaps the smaller magazine would be able to be published for this price. (I think Crochet Today! is $5.99...)

Dontcha love Doris' blog?

But even a picture of the garment on a hanger would give you some info. Or they could move all the pins and clips around to the front:lol, and take a quick shot of the back.

YES! YES! YES! As for price--:bookjust remember, when it comes to paying an editor, don't forget me--I'm a professional proofreader and copy editor!:book

And almost no baby things; you can find them anywhere.

And tours of yarn factories and interviews with people at the yarn companies about why they cancel one and change the quality of another yarn and about dyelots. Also interviews with buyers from LYSs about what they base their yarn ordering on.

-->I like interviews with designers and famous people who crochet, although it would be nice for a magazine to hi-lite one or two "everyday" crocheters.

it would be very interesting to see articles about people who are really into crocheting but aren't publishing or designing, and so don't have anything to sell!

And tours of yarn factories and interviews with people at the yarn companies about why they cancel one and change the quality of another yarn and about dyelots. Also interviews with buyers from LYSs about what they base their yarn ordering on.

these topics would be very interesting!

Amy, this is a very interesting thread:yes Are you going to tell us what your ideal magazine would be?

I like variety. But not one theme with variety, such as baby items that could be clothing, amigurumi, blankets. Crochet Today! did that once and there wasn't much left for me to crochet from that issue.

I like things from doilies to clothing items to afghans to seasonal to small quick items to just about anything. I think my main things for every issue, an adult clothing item (like a sweater, not a shawl instead but could be included somewhere else), doily (or other thred item), afghan, baby item (there are still babies being born). There was one that had a christmas one in each issue throughout the year to plan ahead, usualy a home decor item.

I do like reading about designers.

How about converting a historical pattern to an everyday pattern? Like the patterns in the Antique Library on the internet. Even some of those 1915 patterns are hard to figure out. I know other magazines have done that, but showing the old and new would be nice. Maybe I would like to make it like the 1915 pattern and not the 2010 version.

History of crochet (even though I know most of it, there ar some things out there I don't know). Various hooks and techniques.

I like written, charts and schematics and sometimes all three (wearables). That takes up lots of room and paper space, but even a reduced pattern chart helps. Even with afghans. Plus if there's a mistake in either the written or chart, they can be compared and the buyer and figure it out.

Lots. That's what I like about Crochet Today. Afghans don't need much, but if it's a longer or harder pattern, then a close up is nice. And good photos. No hair over both shoulders so we can't see the neckline of a sweater, or a dark shawl over a dark outfit.

I'm not sure, I've never paid too much attention to the pages.

It should not be free. I've paid $7 or $8 for a magazine. I'm not sure if a lower price, smaller and published more often would be better. I kind of like that there's a delay between them. Gives me time to finish projects and if I buy them at the store, it seems better on my wallet (not really, but I pretend).

What I always thought would be nice is to have a stitch pattern then various items using that pattern, from beginner to advanced. For example a crazy shell stitch and maybe something like a dishcloth, scarf, afghan, sweater... This way a beginner can try the scarf and then the afghan and maybe even a sweater since they know the stitch. The items wouldn't have to be the same each issue, but something small and quick to something more complicated.

Actually what would be REALLY cool would be if CGOA would start a magazine of our own. (I am not a big fan of the current magazine that CGOA members receive, Crochet!)

If CGOA would put out a magazine that combined an article on technique (what Hhensler said), a designer/artist/writer/"ordinary crocheter" interview, yarn industry info, yarn and book reviews, maybe one easy and one challenging pattern incl. schematics and symbol diagrams, along with the info that is currently in the CGOA newsletter---wow, that would be fantastic! :c9

I'd like a range of designs for a range of levels. I'd also be interested in the 'background' stories of the yarn industry: how the colour palette is chosen, how a type of yarn is made, yarns from different countries - that sort of thing.

A featured designer would be only moderately interesting for me because I'm in Europe, so many of the 'big names' mightn't necessarily mean that much to me ... BUT I'm sure it'd be interesting to see how a pattern is created from idea to finished piece in any case, regardless of whether I know the designer or not.

I'm less into the wearable patterns, not only because I tend to crochet fewer wearables but also because I think there seems to be a difference in American and European tastes (? just an impression I get. Having said that, many of the magazines do have some pretty pieces, but other items are just not garments that you'd see anyone wearing over here...)

Most of all I would like adult-friendly articles. I find some of the articles in these magazines are impossibly cutesy and twee :(.

A lot of interesting ideas here.

I know it's impractical, but I think it would be nice if there were a way to have a subscripton 'a la carte'. This would probably work better with a digital subscription.

Examples of 'menu choices' - adult garments, child/baby, kitchen/decor, thread, blankets, pets, purses, holiday, etc etc.

Patterns for each genre would be published in little pamphlets/newsletters, maybe not every genre for the same number of issues each year.

So you could order a full subscription and get all the pamphlets, or if you are only interested in purses and blankets you could pay less and get just those pamphlets.

Like others here I have a couple of subscriptions and am often discouraged to find few, sometimes no, patterns that I'm interested in for some issues. I think a magazine could make just as much, maybe more, money this way - they'd probably have more subscribers overall. More (I think) would be likely to plunk down money for a partial subscription if they knew they were getting only the kinds of patterns they were interested in.

Charts, diagrams and schematics, yes, and words too.

I'm more interested in the patterns than the 'other stuff', but the non-pattern articles that I like the best are those describing techniques.

What fun! :D

* Should the magazine have a specific focus or contains lots of different types of patterns? If you want a focused magazine, what should the focus be (high-fashion clothing, home decor, baby stuff, amigurumi, etc.)? I like a variety of projects, I think it is motivating to try different things. But on the other hand, a magazine published on a regular basis full of afghan patterns! I'd be in heaven! :c9

* What types of regular columns would you want to see? I like the columns that are written like blogs by every day "joes" and their passion for their craft. I also like the ones where it shows an item being used from generation to generation. One of the magazines did this with a wedding dress once and then another one with a toddler dress. I really enjoyed reading those.

* What types of special articles would you like to see? I like special stitches being highlighted (an article or two). But not an entire magazine that you've waited two months for all about Tunisian or shell stitches when that doesn't necessarily interest you (especially when the whole magazine that issue is dedicated to that). :P

* How should the patterns be written? (charts, schematics, etc.) I like the pattern both written out and with the charts.

* Do you want any special types of photos included with the patterns? Lots of color photos right by the pattern would be great! :)

* How many pages should the magazine be? I think the magazines being published today are reasonable. I do wish they'd publish them on a monthly basis though instead of the bimonthly way they do them now.

* How much should the magazine cost? (Please give a reasonable figure, that would allow the publishing company to pay all staff and production costs [pattern contributors, editors, photographers, printers, shipping, and so on] and don't say it should be free. :D) I think a nicely loaded magazine is priced right at $5 - $7.

Thanks for asking! :hook

Archived